SAU Community

Turboing R34 Question

well i was originally thinking of coping Dan666 with the high comp/low boost idea.

but i've been thinking since a gasket is like $1000 extra, why not go bigger turbo + boost, and lower the compression

Besides things like Fuel pumps, ecu.. any major side effects i would notice on my N/A if i dropped the compression and had a bigger turbo with like 400hp turbo attached + higher boost..

i know clutch will go.. and i would need bigger brakes etc... but im just wondering if thats AN option, which wont rip my N/A engine appart within 3 months of it being turbo.

if it is, ill just go high comp/ low boost :(

ive got a total of about 6.5k to get it turbod properly.. (the car is stock, so needs exhaust probably aswell + ecu)

and i DONT WANT A STOCK ENGINE SWAP OR HALF CUT. (unless u can get me a worked engine in my car for that price...)

so if u think i could get heaps more power out of a N/A tune for my 6.5k

or other suggestions im open:)

Edited by illusiVe

Since you dont want a stock engine swap, or half cut. The only other 'proper' option you have to do is, sell your car, put in 6.5k and have a car thats factory turbo that will hold its value significantly more. Since your car is stock, your going to be alot better off. If your car had custom bodykit, interior + paint the story might be different. Turboing a NA car will always be risky, when done right it can be miles better IMO. My brother turbo'd his old honda civic VTi-R and it was fantastic. Sometimes people get lucky, sometimes people dont though. One small fuel problem you could kiss your 6.5k + stock engine goodbye. Something to think about.... i thought about turboing my old NA r33 skyline, but the wise thing to do was sell it.. and upgrade.. and im far better off now, even though i might not have a nissan anymore.

Dayne

I'm in the same boat as illusive, thinking of doing the same thing to my NA 34.

I wouldn't worry too much about the re-sale value of the car because even if you bought a turbo 34 and then modded it, wouldn't that effectively have the same effect on resale value? just a thought...

Anyone else got any opinions? Many cars in the past have been NA and had turbo's bolted on later, Skyline or not! why is it any different if it's a Skyline? as long as the job is done by a reputable mechanic and the parts are good, why should anything go wrong?

I'm in the same boat as illusive, thinking of doing the same thing to my NA 34.

I wouldn't worry too much about the re-sale value of the car because even if you bought a turbo 34 and then modded it, wouldn't that effectively have the same effect on resale value? just a thought...

Anyone else got any opinions? Many cars in the past have been NA and had turbo's bolted on later, Skyline or not! why is it any different if it's a Skyline? as long as the job is done by a reputable mechanic and the parts are good, why should anything go wrong?

You cant think like that though. When i do something i always factor in every consideration. Example ~ turbo kit done correct, but cylinder #3 was down on compression to begin with. Tune etc done, airfuel ratios fine - though motor only lasts 6 months as it cannot handle the extra boost on an already worn cylinder. Your up for a rebuild. What a complete waste of money! Sure lots of cars have been turbo'd in the past and lots of them worked for quiet some time. But on the other hand, lots of cars have been turbo'd before... lots of them worked for a period of time. But lots of them blew up!

BTW ~ no one ever said it was anything to do with being a skyline or not.

To answer your first point too, if i were to have 2 cars.

Car 'a' is a r34 gt-t with exhaust, pod filter, fmic $32k sells.. and takes days.

car 'b' is a r34 gt+t with exhaust, pod filter, ecu, fmic, custom this and that, non turbo brakes, engineered. Though complied as a 'r34 gt'. This one for $31k Sells.... but takes months.

Sure anycar would loose value if you pumped mods into it, but at the end of the day when the 'future' buyer looks at the car and realises it was non turbo, they 'might' start to question a few things.. and might decide to go for a factory turbo.

Dayne

i understand guys i am in love with my current car which ive been driving and i dont want to sell it.. so swapping the car also isnt an option in my books sorry.. i've had too many issues with car dealers/ private sales lately.

plus the fact that u have rego fees etc 3% of sale.. plus the whole wait for the car to sell.. which im sick of doing.

basically i just want to know IF DONE RIGHT. can i LOWER the compression on my stock R34 25GT (manual btw) and bolt some big ass boost to it (12-18psi) and have it safe and reliable for 6.5k rather than high compression, low boost (5-7psi) which is safe and can be done for 6.5k if done properly.

just dont know if there is something that i wouldnt forsee... and if i need an engine rebuild.. i chose the wrong mechanic... and will kick their asses ;)

don't think the n/a piston can stand mild boost even u have a thick head gasket

maybe think of a bigger turbo, same low boost but more power

lag shouldn't be problem as high compression helps a lot

y not swap engines it takes about a day too do and is way easier then f**king around adding turbos, and bits and pieces, its cheaper and its right.

Why is there this big stigma that changing an engine over is so hard, or takes to long or what? i dont know? u can get ur engine out in an 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and it shouldnt take any longer then 2 1/2 to 3 hours to put the new turbo donk in.....

the internals of an NA engine still arent as strong and will never be.. listen to the people thazt have been there before, its cheaper and easier to buy another engine or sell the car an buy a standard turbo one. Or put up with it until you can take one of those to options or you will regret it down the track.

No matter how hard u try you CANNOT get more GO for less work and or dollars fact of life..

EDIT: this is not a direct attack at neone simply my opinion, no offence intented :) we all friends here shairing the same passion.

lol thats true johnny.

but how many of us live with a mechanic, work in an engineering company, have most of the tools on hand to build a SC-V8 (which runs small rear brakes :w00t:) and know how?

thanks for the off topic NA R33..

its just too fkn much for a half cut...id just have a standard turbo engine in for $7000.. and even still would be stock..

i just want a turbo in the car, and an answer to my question, or if u have any N/A tuning ideas of what i could be pulling for an addition 6-7k in my car.. would be useful.

You can put something like a TO4E on, an R34 N/A I've seen from Greece has that on the high-comp setup, it spools quite well. You can of course drop the comp with a gasket and run more boost with exactly the sam setup. Seriously my old GT+t copped some severe abuse and it didn't skip a beat, the R34 RB25DE is a built a lot better than previous versions.

thanks for back up :D

all i need to know is it will last 1 year or 2.. by then i could afford a rebuild or gtr engine.

i've also had people suggest some N/A tuning or a HKS 2835 turbo.

just hard for me to figure out if i want response or higher power with the lag :)

My car lasted a good 50-60,000kms...and from rumours I've heard it's still going good (it was shonkily bought at auction resprayed and sold off as a GTT to some poor bastard)

Maybe just go for the bigger turbo setup, you can pick some decent manifolds and chinese turbos up from Otomoto, which seem to be fairly good, they just don't use BB cores...but with the high comp lag won't be an issue.

What the difference between this guy who wants to turbo a 2.5Lt NA motor, and the guys who build the RB30det motors?

The vl guys have been turboing them for years.

You use a 3Lt n/a bottom end and a dohc head, slap a head gasket in and work out what compression ratio you want to run, determined on what you want. In my case it was 9:1 (cubes' calculations :P)

This guy wants to do the same thing basically, and it'll take the same fuel/computer etc. mods. The only point here is if you do it, your up for the small extras the turbo cars already come with, like brakes.

ps - cometic gaskets are like $250. I run a 3 layer metal gasket meant for the rb25 in my motor.

The N/A model doesn't have the evil HICAS, I find it makes my car a bit tail happy with it now :P

I don't think you'll be upset by putting a turbo on, I found it to be a huge learning experience with the R34's but well worth it. I still miss my old car, the insurance company did offer it back to me, but once it's been stolen and buggered it's never the same.

yer it would have been silly dan to take it back even tho i know how much u must have loved it. Atm im talking to Dr Drift. and i think im going to work out a package through him.

he thinks for 6-7k he might be able to get like 8psi and around 230rwkw :O

with still sheet loads of response.. which is awesome.. although out of that money, works out $63 per kw.. lol.. but hey.. who cares. Nm are good too :)

Edited by illusiVe

it wasnt off topic, and yes im sorry it was a rant cause im over hearing that certain things are percieved to be "too hard" from what people have "heard" and not actual facts. I was simply offering advice on what i would have done, rather than pouring bucketloads of money into the NA to make it quick, if i could go back and do it again.. Remember im only offering my opinion on past experience not what i have "heard" and thats what a forum is.

Yeah Sam could be able to pull that off with that budget, good to see he hasn't been traumatised tuning R34's after sorting my car out when he was up here...nah it wasn't that bad just had a few issues with the CAS