SAU Community

nissan oil and filter

uLa32

went to my local nissan today and found out that the original oil (7.5w-30 @ 5ltrs) and oil filter is a total of $38.00 !!!

what does everyone think of original nissan oil as opposed to the mobil's, shell's and castrol's, etc? is the oem oil fully snyth, etc??

If it's $38 for oil and filter, I wouldn't think the oil is much chop. I paid $8 for an replacement Oil Filter. I would just use something else, round the 5w-50w range. I just put Mobil 1 in my car cause I didn't have time to look around for Redline or Royal Purple or nothing. Cost me $50 for 5 litres.

yeah i generally use the cheapest oil there is at the moment...last oil change it was shell helix (5w-40), this time it could be mobil 1(5w-50) occasionally i use the castrol formula r...but damn thats expensive!

but the oem oil has to be good right??!?! they even use it on their silvias...

When we got our car serviced we were told to use only Genuine Bovine Nissan oil... But we haven't used a drop of oil since so I dont see us having to buy any in the near future. Although I see another service coming on pretty quick :D

Too much driving.

We've done 8000k's in 3 months :(

when nissan designed that oil/filter combination for a nissan skyline they didnt have a boosted, intake/exhaust/cooler modifed car in mind....

if youve modified your car in any way from factory i would have to start to think that maybe nissans oil isnt any longer suitable

Originally posted by adam 32

when nissan designed that oil/filter combination for a nissan skyline they didnt have a boosted, intake/exhaust/cooler modifed car in mind....

if youve modified your car in any way from factory i would have to start to think that maybe nissans oil isnt any longer suitable

true... too bad we dont have any of that royal purple stuff over here in melb....i wouldnt mind trying it and see how it goes.....

Guest kirby_armstrong

All i use and have ever used is Mobil 1, and as far a oil filters I use ryco or coopers, Doesnt really matter as I change oil and filter every 5000-1000 klms

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Nissan oil for about 12 months, on a stock car. After i put on the 'cooler, exhaust and filter I found that the oil seemed to feel shit after about 1000kms. Since that i have been using Mobil 1 5w 50w, seems to be really good, done about 1500kms on it so far and it seems the be holding up pretty well. Hope this helps

Chris