SAU Community

El/ef O2 Sensors...

Mumbo#5

Hi all

After a long discussion with my auto leccy, we have seen that the ford EF/EL sensors shouldn't be used on skylines. Ever since installing one of these on my car, I have had problems with it. On the scan tool it showed us that the o2 sensor was dropping to 0v, then back up to around .8-.9v at idle. The actual graph showed the o2 sensor was sending all f**ked up signals to the ECU. I dont know if any of you other guys have had the same problems (mostly idle prodlems) that are using the Ford o2 sensor..

has anyone had the same experiences? I may be opening a can of worms here but I'm interested to know.

Thanks guys

zactly.. had the same problem when I put one in the 32.. doesn't work as it should... see my warning here too :)http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...ic=43095&st=400

10 mins on the dyno and monitoring the voltage correctly via a datalogger showed this was the case.

It 'kinda' works.. but not properly.

You are best off with an original item, even if it does cost that much more.

My Bro-in-law had a generic aftermarket O2 sensor in his 32 and had an intermittent idle problem where the revs would drop and then pickup (if it didn't stall). I spent ages trying to identify the problem and he even purchased another new generic O2 sensor and still had the same problem. I eventually found it to be the source of problem when I could rectify the low idle revs by disconnecting the sensor. Plug it back in and the revs dropped.

Replaced it with a factory item and hasn't missed a beat since.

I have fitted a el o2 sensor into mine and had no issues. ('93r33) On the dyno, it runs a tad leaner, but occilates between 14.6 and 15 AFR on idle, but looks to be OK. The stochiometric point is probably a little leaner than the regular item.

Your choice, should you choose to use it.

well, im going to put my original back in, see how it goes, i have that exact same idle problem, revs drop, rise, almost stall, rise... i thought it was throttle body beind carboned up but ive since cleaned it and its still doing.. ill do it today when i do the water pump and see how it goes ;)

well, im going to put my original back in, see how it goes, i have that exact same idle problem, revs drop, rise, almost stall, rise... i thought it was throttle body beind carboned up but ive since cleaned it and its still doing.. ill do it today when i do the water pump and see how it goes :laugh:

I have an EL falcon Sensor in my series 2 gtst and its been great. I got better fuel mileage too. Havent had any idle problems.

Strange some people are fine and some have problems

im running a ford el one in my rb25 and its worked fine.

closed loop worked as expected (check with wideband on the road) and all was happy. not sure if its the same for rb20 however

No troubles with one in mine... (93 R33 GTS-T) But then again, it's quite stock and hasn't been on a dyno.

Biggest plus, 280kms/tank went back to 440-460kms/tank.......

Maybe its just an R32 problem? then again, its probably a different sensor :D I think that is mentioned in the big o2 thread.

Yes, you are right. The R32 use a Titania oxygen sensor, this is different to the Ziconia sensors used on other Skylines, and is not interchangeable. No wonder people are having problems on R32's if you're using the wrong type of sensor. :kiss:

Does any one know if the R33 GTST sensors (NGK or other brand replacement) work on a GTR ive been trying to find a cheaper option than going to Nissan and no other retailers supply O2 Sensor for the GTR.

Edited by Cooper

Does any one know if the R33 GTST sensors (NGK or other brand replacement) work on a GTR ive been trying to find a cheaper option than going to Nissan and no other retailers supply O2 Sensor for the GTR.

Check out the NGK (Aus) website, they should have an NTK replacement for the GTR.

replacing my o2 sensor with the ngk model made zero difference :laugh:

hey mate, i have the same problem.. it could be your injectors.. get them checked and cleaned.. about 20 bux each injector.. cheap insurance if u ask me :laugh:

^^^ I sure did and the only sensors for the R33 is for a 2.5l RB25DET. I need to know if these will work on a R33 GTR
Sorry, i thought we were talking R32's, well i have the opposite problem. ;)