SAU Community

Are Import Buyers Are Getting D**cked?

I need some perspective on this from many SAU members.

We all know that imported cars are NOT what they are... they mislead buyers into thinking that the car has done such and such Ks when the car has done probably twice if not more... at the end of the day is it really worth the effort and trouble buying an imported car since there is such a big risk??

Im currently in the process of buying a skyline if all goes well with RACV and my friend mechanic wholl check the car after also, but at the moment its like im sitting on pins and needles.. "what if the car is dodgy", "what if RACV overlook a few things etc"... its not a nice feeling and I presume when you buy local cars you dont go through so much BS... but in all of this I know that Japanese cars are better built for ex than Ford or Holden... and I see many new Falcon/Commodore buyers curse how their new car is having so many problems and they have to take it back to the dealer to rectify the problem with warranty... now with imports... is this a similar case or is the majority of lemons dont get through to our shores??

Opinions? Comments?

Edited by Sir-D

have a good look around at what is for sale, i bought a lemon import, well not so much a lemon but one with a few problems :D

on the other hand my friend bought a s2 r33 and his is perfect, km look geniune (60,000km) 1 australian owner, log book history, clean etc etc

i say you just got to weed out the crappy ones

:blush:

Of course the only way to be absolutely sure about the authenticity of your Skyline would be to buy a fully documented and verified Aussie-delivered R31... :D

imported cars are NOT what they are... they mislead buyers into thinking that the car has done such and such Ks when the car has done probably twice if not more

Not as bad as you make it out to be mate. Remember with the exception of the few 32 GTRs every other Skyline you see has been imported before by someone else.

Importing involves trust. You need to have trust in the people you are dealing with. If you don't have that, you shouldn't import.

Not as if all the problems you mention is restricted to Japan only. Whose to say an Australian dealer selling a car won't do the same before selling a car to you?

Of course with any used car/car dealerships you will have the occasional lemon. It's just the way it is in the industry. But, you can rest assured that many of the cars imported from Japan and other places go through a rigorous and stringent export process before they come to our shores. But of course you're going to get the occasional one slip through under the radar.

What I suggest, and it seems you've already taken some prior precautions, is to find an importer which you trust, or someone who deals regularly with imported vehicles and get them to have an in depth look into the car you're buying. Personal opinion - I wouldn't go RACV - but take it to an importer or equivalent mechanic.

Importers, as I say, go through such a process to get cars here. If they start to import lemons situations can back fire and import licensing can be revoked. Cars with rust 'must not be imported' cars with prior accident damaged or chassis damage 'must not be imported'.

So don't let hearsay deter you, just take the right precautions and speak to the right people and you should be clear.

There will always be an element of risk when buying 2nd hand be it an import or local car. Regardless of the fact that we assume most imports have had their clocks wound back, it is up to the individual to choose carefully and from a trusted source. If you look at the big picture, imports have flooded the markets in recent years...why? because they are very good value for money if you compare another locally manufactured vehicle at the same pricepoint. I've had 3 imports so far and have enjoyed every moment, with the occasional hiccups off course that you can sometimes never forsee or expect. Good luck in your search and as Savage Bliss said, don't let hearsay deter you. At the end of the day is what you want that matters.

bought mine from a very shonky looking person ... he imports a few cars and it was a good deal at the time so i took the risk, 6 months later, replaced my tyres, manifold to turbo and my clutch needs changing so normal car maitanance expenses

Just got to know someone who will geuinely look after you during the import... and most of all be honest!

I got my R34 last year, had exactly the same feeling as it was the first big dollar car I've ever purchased. Had a mate/importer do all the work for me.

He flew over to Japan to hand select a car on my behalf, took a few trips :P (which was cool with him since he's an importer anyway). But at the end of the day, I got an ex-showroom car, very low KMs and completely stock - just what I requested!

The only thing I've discovered about the car which was questionable is how the hell some alien-like bug ended up under the rear seat :D

If you buy a car 10-15 years old and expect nothing to have to be spent, you're in dream world...

Of course, you can lucky, and I think imported japanese cars give you a better probability of things lasting longer. But welcome to the world of owning a car..

Usually in the first 6 months (or even less) you will know whether its rooted or not :)

Imports have been the best cars i have owned.

Im currently looking for a S2 R33 and will go directly to an importer. Its pretty easy to determine KM on condition.

And if you are getting it checked by a pro, Like NRMA or what not, They go nuts on the car, And pick up practicly everything.

It not just imports its all cars, The best car i have ever owned was my S1 R33. The build quality is awsome on these imports IMO.

Imports have been the best cars i have owned.

Im currently looking for a S2 R33 and will go directly to an importer. Its pretty easy to determine KM on condition.

And if you are getting it checked by a pro, Like NRMA or what not, They go nuts on the car, And pick up practicly everything.

It not just imports its all cars, The best car i have ever owned was my S1 R33. The build quality is awsome on these imports IMO.

I second that.

If u read the back of any 2nd car sale contract there is a clause basically saying that the dealer is not responsible for the accuracy of the odometer reading. In reality tho an odometer reading is only a small indication of the condition of the car. They say that it is only a true reflection up to 50000kms because before 50,000 most cars are still in good nick with no problems so the only thing uve got to go by is the odometer. After 50,000 u never know. A 120,000km car could be a much better car than one with 70,000.

heheh i just took the word from a complicance shop, that the car is in perfect condition, no problems with engine etc etc.. and guess what, it was perfectand still is... Not a single thing that was wrong..

so i guess, its the risk you take, but if you trust the seller, then you shouldnt have any problems..

best thing i have ever bought..

Taken from http://www.bestjapancar.com/whyjapan.htm

Fierce competition and introduction of new models every four years, results in strong incentives to new car buyers. Anyone with an ID, a job and a guarantor can drive a brand new car out of a showroom with zero down payment (4 to 6% interest on full loan is the norm).

In other words, purchasing a new car in Japan is relatively cheap, while owning it, is not.

For instance:

-Annual road tax ranges from yen 40,000 for ordinary cars, up to yen 70,000 or more for luxury units.

-Shaken renewal (required every 2 years, after the first original 3 years) from yen120,000 basic models

-Parking space, within a few hundred meter from residence is required prior to purchase of a car

Shaken, a costly combination of taxes and mandatory roadworthy tests, is added to the price of all cars on the road. Shaken renewal is mandatory after 3, 5, 7 & 9 years from first registration.

Beside providing huge income for the government, it also insures every motor vehicle on Japanese road is safe and sound. Shaken price is identical at each renewal and with time, will eventually amount to more than the value of the car itself.

i think the whole "shaken" thing is to make sure all the cars on the road are fairly new and any cars older than 10 years are kept off the roads, because it will cost an arm and a leg to keep it on the road.

compare to nsw where you can basically registered any car any age so longs its still got 4 wheels and it can start and stop. No emissions test no safety tests, theres always a dodgee mechanic that will give you a pink slip for 40 bucks.