SAU Community

Hi

Powers Lacking

Hi all ,

Just thought i'd drop a line to say hi. Recently purchased a series 1 R33 GTS.

As my name suggests the GTS just isnt fast enough ( my parent sbought it so i cant complain i guess). Am interested in either dropping an Rb25det in or looking at getting my engine turbo'd. As I am at uni and money is a bitch atm wondering if you guys could help me out with maybe a few workshops around the place and maybe some $$$ estimates.

Cheers

not sure if ths is correct info as a mate of mines mate turbo'd a gts and by the time he had done all the mods needed and stuff it was like 6k in the end...

love parents they think they are doing the right thing but then they dont realise we need turbo... or they know and dont want us to have it cause they know the consequences.

any ways im new on here to so i say welcome :P

Yerp gotta agree with the regulars here. $6k minimum.

The GTS and gtst are not that same car in many respects. However you do get a great handling car that will teach you the finer points of balance and traffic management (avoiding other cars) Its a manual i assume which will add to that.

Dont be in a rush mod your car. If you are still on your ps id finish them off first before modding as insurance will be over 3k or so if you have a clean record. Work with what you have on the cheap. Cold air intake, air filter and some suspension upgrades (yellow donuts) can be done very cheaply if you take care. Then go for fuel management, brake upgrades, springs and struts and wheels with fully sic spinning parts on em... hehe jk

Remember that a GTS is in most cases pretty quick but its no insane straight line car.

Oh and welcome to the forums, hang around have a read and learn. The NA section in technical will give you some good info.

Edited by Boostzor

lol rev210 is so right...

stupid fuel

gtst's use a shit load of fuel unless you drive like a grandma... and even then they use a bit still

It depends on the type of & how much driving you do, I still get over 400km's to a tank, the quickest I've ever had to refill is after 320km's.

It depends on the type of & how much driving you do, I still get over 400km's to a tank, the quickest I've ever had to refill is after 320km's.

you serious... man i do about 300km a week and im finding i have to refil each week...

ive gitten 140kms outa like 30 bucks fuel (dont remember how much a litre but it was about 125-130) and thas ultimate.

i fill the tank each week and top up when i need to.

Hey mate - welcome.

Stick with what you have for now, perform the usual breathing mods, perhaps a computer (money permitting), a decent tune and your GTS will be plenty quick, especially if its your first real taste at a performance car. If its a manual, still think they quote about 0-100ks in just under 8 secs out of the factory, so some small mods would easily see it quicker than your 'SV6, XR6, VRX' brigade.

Good luck anyway!

keep ya car as it is for now just a some minor mods no need to go turbojust enjoydrivin it as a fairly stock car and save for a turbo in a couple years or so

stop driving like a ferret on crystal meth and it will come down a bit :D

LOL love it...

unfortunately i dont drive like that. i actually drive the speed limit now... with the occasional spurt down the freeway and angry overtaking from people not doing anything on the road.

Hi, welcome to the N/A world while everyone is using a bloody TURBO to smoke you off. Anyway, I've got myself an N/A, got it for 8k, plaaning to do a RB26 transplant probably cost around 10k-12k. Sometimes its not just about the money, its the satisfaction to "POWER IT UP" and seen it grow into a monster. If I wasn't mistaken, there is a cruise this sunday. Pop in and meet your new "family". :D

300km to a tank!

My GTR has cams ,big turbos and a stuffed No3 piston and it manages better than that (all city driving), thats 400km.

NA skyline should be round 9L/100km or better.

As for the Rb26 transplant..... $12k willt get the motor in that you want, add another $12k and then the car will be able to handle the power, add that to your $8k and you get a car without 4wd that cost you over $30k. I can point you in the direction of some very mean 'built' GTR's for that money.

Then again if you like to 'do it yourself' why not start with a base that is going to work without money offerings being burnt for the sake of burning money?

$12k for a built Rb26 is pretty easy to do , there are plenty of guys who can tell you from experience. The cost can spiral very quickly. Best to go in over estimating rather than having to bail out when you run out of money.