SAU Community

Timing Belt

Winner1

timing belt change its self is usaly around 500.. but then ya gota thing about a few other things that are due to go soon, or have a tendency to break.. water pump, and a few bearings too.. mite be an idea to get them changed wile ya at it. but that will put the cost up a fare bit as i think a new water pump is around $300 on its own, but it would be worth it, because taking the belt off again to change the pump would cost abit in labour

timing belt change its self is usaly around 500.. but then ya gota thing about a few other things that are due to go soon, or have a tendency to break.. water pump, and a few bearings too.. mite be an idea to get them changed wile ya at it. but that will put the cost up a fare bit as i think a new water pump is around $300 on its own, but it would be worth it, because taking the belt off again to change the pump would cost abit in labour

I need to change my belt too, so I'll change these others as well, which bearings do you mean? :(

Hey everyone,

i just wanted to warn anybody who didnt know that if the timing belt dosnt go on properly u get big problems.

i got mine done by a retired mechanic/ famly freind and he has done many timing belts. But he said my R32 GTSt was very difficult. Then my car was rinning very poor so i took to my other mehanic. my other mechanic noticed it wasnt put on right and that because of that my valves were bent and worn down.

ended up costing me $1500.

so i dont want anyone makin same mestake as me so make sure the mecanic has done skylines befor.

anyways just thought id share.

how the hell do you find everything so cheap SPX25T????? or are everyones elses qoutes with labour included??

I am only quoting the price of the parts I am changing my timing belt and waterpump this weekend myself with a couple of friends who are mechanics by trade.

I would say other prices are with Labour.

in regards to the waterpump the RB25 waterpump is the same as the RB30 waterpump(so I have been informed will be able to answer that properly on Saturday) so instead of asking for a hard to get Japanese import asking for a local Rb30 part is cheaper

also friends with Autobarn Villawood.

Edited by spx25t

i got my water pump for $40 from Coventry Auto Parts in Alexandria (my mate works there).. retail is $90.

i might ask them if they'd be interested in an SAU discount scheme too.

considering alot of imports are still under 100k's some workshop out there should do a big discount for SAU... think about if everyone from sau went to the one shop for a 100k service.....

ps if some sponsors gonna do this make sure its within the next 2 months coz thats when mines due!!!

A standard timing belt change, should also include changing of the tensioner and idler pullies. Also the two camshaft seals and front crank seal should be changed as well.

(If you buy a timing belt kit, all of the above would be included, not that you can probally get a kit for 25, but any other local engine for eg)

Water pump is always a wise idea as well on RB engines. They can last a very long time, but they can also leak unexpectantly, so if you can't easily change the part in the future yourself or don't have the $ to pay for labour twice, get it all done at once.

If you don't do the seals regularly they harden up and have the potential to leak, but more so they wear a groove into the crank/cam and in the future if it wears enough, a new seal won't stop the leak, you will have to use a speedy sleeve over the shaft.

Hey everyone,

i just wanted to warn anybody who didnt know that if the timing belt dosnt go on properly u get big problems.

i got mine done by a retired mechanic/ famly freind and he has done many timing belts. But he said my R32 GTSt was very difficult. Then my car was rinning very poor so i took to my other mehanic. my other mechanic noticed it wasnt put on right and that because of that my valves were bent and worn down.

ended up costing me $1500.

so i dont want anyone makin same mestake as me so make sure the mecanic has done skylines befor.

anyways just thought id share.

How do u know if its been put on properly on not. Mine got recently put on, its running ok but the timing belt is making this wierd noise. If i take it to a tuner, say AVO for example, would they check this out?

Could even be the idler or tensioner not adjusted onto the belt properly, so it's slapping around as it turns. This, or either of those two bearings could be worn and noisy.

I'm doing my timing belt, drivebelts, idler and tensioner in two weeks time... well, my mate will do most of it because he's done it a couple of times before. =-]

A standard timing belt change, should also include changing of the tensioner and idler pullies. Also the two camshaft seals and front crank seal should be changed as well.

how much should we expect to pay for these?

Aftermarket seals about $5 each from any spare parts shop. (Same seal as used in RB30, so just ask for VL Comm/R31 Skyline crank or cam seals, same part for all the seals crank and cams on all RB engines)

Get genuine seals if you want about $15 each though. (I use aftermarket on all my RB engines, without drama)

There is a thread with the part no's for the tensioner and idler, tensioner is about $40 and idler around $60 aftermarket from any bearing store/supplier.

Can go genuine as well but they are like $100+each bearing.

i had a look under my bonnet and all my belts need replaceing on my Rb25DE by the looks - i guess when I get them done i'll get the timing belt done too

could be a VERY expensive trip to the mechanic!