SAU Community

Car Wash

Where do you guys and girls wash your cars? I got two car washes in my area but I think they leave dints/marks at times if you swing that hose around... I might try and wash the car at home with a bucket.

Opinions?

Go buy yourself some carwash soap and a mit aswell as a chamois and doit yourself thats what i do anyway save a far bit of money and i find after a few washes i can do a better job anyway.

that hose that hits ya car is annoying F*&K!!!!!!!! youd think the person that built the things would have some kind of intelligence... "oh yeah mayb well make the pivot thing a little longer so its got enough room to go around the cars"

that hose that hits ya car is annoying F*&K!!!!!!!! youd think the person that built the things would have some kind of intelligence... "oh yeah mayb well make the pivot thing a little longer so its got enough room to go around the cars"

Yes exactly my point. If they designed that hose to somehow go aroudn the car I wouldnt freak out everytime it bitch slapped the car.

Also the bristles of the brush come off on window edges etc.

Many ulehs wash their cars there with mint cars though... hmm.

i would NEVER wash my car with the brushes at car washes. I have mate who used to be a tendent at one of them, and on numerous occasions he has told me that people (drunk faggots) have put glass in the brushes and people have scratched their cars. I always bring a bucket down and sponges etc and just use the high pressure hose to wet + rinse the car.

Common sense would tell most people to use the high pressure hose to rinse the brush before rubbing it on your car.

Most car washes (local to me) won't allow you to BYO bucket and sponge, because it's taking money out of their pocket if you provide your own stuff.

(Kinda like taking your own grog to a pub)

Invest in a decent pressure washer.

We picked up an ALTO brand high pressure unit from Bunnings.

They're the only brand (i know of) which has full metal internals, and it kicks ass!

In Vic you can also get rebates on any water saving devices that you purchase.

If you don't want to fork out that sort of money, and you don't want to use the local "brush style" car wash, seek out a Laser Wash.

There are plenty of them around, they work really well.

I think $7 is about the going rate, and it cleans the underneath of the car as well.

i would NEVER wash my car with the brushes at car washes. I have mate who used to be a tendent at one of them, and on numerous occasions he has told me that people (drunk faggots) have put glass in the brushes and people have scratched their cars. I always bring a bucket down and sponges etc and just use the high pressure hose to wet + rinse the car.

So you can bring a bucket to wash at their car washes? Cos that would be a good idea to rab it yourself and then use their high pressure nozzles.

Most car washes (local to me) won't allow you to BYO bucket and sponge, because it's taking money out of their pocket if you provide your own stuff.

I don't see why they don't let ya .. you're paying the same amount no matter what.

Edited by lordsnipe

I don't see why they don't let ya .. you're paying the same amount no matter what.

Of course you're not paying the same amount.

If you're not using their foam brush, are you still going to pay for it?

When using the brush, people try to do it as quickly as possible, to get the most from their money.

If you use a bucket and sponge, you're not going to rush, because your time isn't going to "run out".

You're sitting in their wash bays, taking up space that could be used by a customer who is actually using the facilities as (the company) intended, and by not using the products they supply, you're taking money out of their pockets.

All the car washes I've been to in SE melb have signs stating no buckets/sponges

Some even have pictures of buckets in a red circle with a line through it... for the "english impaired".

..and you certainly don't pay the same amount "no matter what", because there are a lot of different options available.. some people may just want to do a basic wash, others may want to go the whole hog and use the mag cleaner, and the wax etc.

The cost relates to the amount of time you spend cleaning the car.

You're charged by the minute, so the slower you move, and the more processes you do, the more it will cost you to wash the car.

Good question dezz, it was a while ago now... I had to go digging to find this post in a thread about pressure washers.

I should also mention that this post was from '04, and the Alto is still going strong :D

Everyone I know who has purchased a "Gerni" or "Karcher" brand pressure washer has had to have it fixed repeatedly....so I certainly wouldn't recommend either of them.

We have an Alto.

They are made in Denmark, and are the only brand on the market with an entirely metal pump.

(No plastic bits to break) ;)

Available at Bunnings (in the toolshop)

Prices vary from about $100 for the small one... but there are many different models, and a huge price range.

There is also a "rim brush"..... which is a rotating brush for cleaning mags. :devil:

They are well worth checking out.

Oh, and most importantly, the Alto units are a lovely shade of blue.

Check it out next time you're at Bunnings :O

So... you're looking at $100 for a base model, but I'm pretty sure they ranged right through to uber insane ones for around $1200.

If you buy quality, and treat it well (don't leave the pump with water sitting in it) then you should get your moneys worth.

I really can't be bothered going through my reciepts folder, but I think the one we got was around $200

Good question dezz, it was a while ago now... I had to go digging to find this post in a thread about pressure washers.

I should also mention that this post was from '04, and the Alto is still going strong :devil:

So... you're looking at $100 for a base model, but I'm pretty sure they ranged right through to uber insane ones for around $1200.

If you buy quality, and treat it well (don't leave the pump with water sitting in it) then you should get your moneys worth.

I really can't be bothered going through my reciepts folder, but I think the one we got was around $200

$1-200 sounds reasonable...ill look into it and might convince my brother to go halves (if he wants to use it :D) that is if i can find one....

as for the mag brush...ive always been told not to use any form of brush or scourer etc on wheels as it takes off the clear coat/paint

i paid 120ish for mine.... it's just a cheapass one though, it's good for the car and around the house but thats about it.... it's lasted over 2 years so i guess it aint that bad...

Edited by morgsj50

give the pressure pump and home style cleaning a go

i dont trust the car washes and i would not trust them if i had a decent paint on my car like pearl white or so on.

remember to wash your car on the grass so detergents dont go down the drains and have fun cleaning those cars.

another bonus. the excercise you can get from it rather then sit around and get fatter every day

I always wash mine at home.

Gives me time to go over it incase i miss a spot.

I can do it at my own pace and dont have to rush for others.

I can take my time chamois'ing it right.

I dont have to pay, i milk the water and soap off my parents haha :thumbsup:

Leave me alone, im a poor uni student ;)

Im a manager at a self serve carwash and ive been using the brushes in the bays for over 2 years now and they have never scratched any of the cars I own, if your sensible about it and give the brush a good blast with the high pressure hose before you use it I dont see why you would have any dramas.