SAU Community

Fitting 6x9s An Ecr33

Eug

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got my mate who does installs for a living to put my 7x10's in the sides in the rear...you know where you put your arms. and put 6x5's in the rear parcel, looks and sounds good. All for the reason of not wanting a sub in the boot.

i got my mate who does installs for a living to put my 7x10's in the sides in the rear...you know where you put your arms. and put 6x5's in the rear parcel, looks and sounds good. All for the reason of not wanting a sub in the boot.

wouldnt a sub n amp be cheaper? or didnt u want to loose ur boot? a decent pair of 6x9s would have had enough base if u didnt want subs.

subs and amp take up so much room in the penuy line boot.

after reading this i decided to chuck 6x9"s in the rear also they work a treat, only did it as my splits were rattling in the back (really annoying) so went the whole hog with mdf im more than happy with the results, did it also so it sounds good when i take the sub out which is quite often cheers for the write up

wouldnt a sub n amp be cheaper? or didnt u want to loose ur boot? a decent pair of 6x9s would have had enough base if u didnt want subs.

I have all speakers hooked up to the amp but yeah didint want to take up space in the boot, hence the reason for all the trouble and money. ;)

Hi Again Eug, Thanks for the reply,I have decided to do the job the way you did but would like to keep the speakers straight in the back not rotated ,to fit better as you did, is this possible??

I really like the look of the stock speaker grills in the back can they be used over the new speakers??

Can you tell me how to remove the seats properly and how to take the stock grills off without breaking them, also did you screw the mdf shelf into the steel parcel shelf or just let the seats and the snug fit hold it in??

How thick was the carpet you used to cover it or what type was it??Cheers Rob.

I remember a member here "fhrx" telling me its possible to fit 6x9's nicely using a method with specially made spacers. This would make the install look very professional and without the need to make a new parcel shelf or hack the current one.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Again Eug, Thanks for the reply,I have decided to do the job the way you did but would like to keep the speakers straight in the back not rotated ,to fit better as you did, is this possible??

I really like the look of the stock speaker grills in the back can they be used over the new speakers??

Can you tell me how to remove the seats properly and how to take the stock grills off without breaking them, also did you screw the mdf shelf into the steel parcel shelf or just let the seats and the snug fit hold it in??

How thick was the carpet you used to cover it or what type was it??Cheers Rob.

this might be too late but....

the speakers have to be angled due to the shape of the steel parcel shelf holes (have a look from underneath) dont think you can really use the old grills without butchering your old shelf plus not worth the effort IMO

no need to screw the shelf down if you make it the right shape it fits in very nicely and gets held in by the seats and the plastic side panels

can get thin/backless carpet from jaycar and probably a shitload of other places

I put 6x9s in my parcel shelf using the stock piece and just cutting some 10mm MDF rings one under side glue on with liquid nails and another on top to get the speaker to clear everything but with the sides cut on a 45 degree angle so it slopes down to the shelf then moulded carpet over it.

__/------\__

kinda like that with the speaker sitting on top, .... and I didn't need to make a whole new mdf shelf...

the sound difference in going to an MDF shelf is amazing and well worth the effort IMO, only takes a few hours looks better and I get shit loads more mid-low bass now with zero rattle

exactly! it pretty much acts as a deadener or a sub box.

• 2 months later...

i know this was done ages ago but im going to do it in the next couple of weeks so hear is my question, nice and easy, could you use the original flimsy parcel shelf as a template for this? or is a different one in order due to the difference in size between the mdf and the stock one?

i know this was done ages ago but im going to do it in the next couple of weeks so hear is my question, nice and easy, could you use the original flimsy parcel shelf as a template for this? or is a different one in order due to the difference in size between the mdf and the stock one?

Yes you just use the old flimsy parcel shelf for a template. this way all the platice vents and the lines in the sides for the interior plastic to fit all line up.

and it looks nice and factory :D just without the grills

I can't really imagine any otherway to create a template for your parcel shelf without using the old one though :huh:

Edited by sIIgtst

i put 6x9 in the back of my r33 i used the factory shelf and brought 2 spacer rings that the carpet on them was exactly the same as factory looks really great sound good have a small amp in the boot + plus my window tint is so dark you cant even see inside the car lol

nice to see this thread being used :(

yes you do use the original one as a template. however, modification to the stencil will be required depending on how thick your mdf will be. as you can see from one of my photos the edge that meets the rear windshield will need some sanding/sloping. the thicker the mdf the more you'll need to sand back.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for this Eug, you've inspired me to do my own DIY project!

except ill be doing 6s in the back with a sub i think, post above looks to be a good way to save space