SAU Community

2x In Tank Pumps Or Surge Tank?

Im slowly doing work to my car and now im considering either putting a surge tank in the boot or putting an extra pump in tank.

What do most other guys do?

Can you please post pictures of both setups if you have them.

Regards,

Cristian

Im slowly doing work to my car and now im considering either putting a surge tank in the boot or putting an extra pump in tank.

What do most other guys do?

Can you please post pictures of both setups if you have them.

Regards,

Cristian

Impossible to answer without knowing the power target and what the car is going to be used for.

:( cheers D

Ohh SK!!! Over here over here!!!! :(

32 GTR wanting to push 300-350kw@wheels. Mostly drags, occasional track days.

Saw in fast fours tech issue that placing an external pump after the standard internal pump can flow for big power! Something to do with a higher flow rate due to zero restriction on the standard pumps outlet. This stil doesn't sound safe tho???

Sorry to hijack Cristian :(

Impossible to answer without knowing the power target and what the car is going to be used for.

:D cheers D

Ok, well im looking at 400rwkw, and the occasioinaly blat around the track.

I know that both are effective (as ive used both in different cars previously).

Im interested in setups as far as finding spots to put a surge tank without wasting to much boot space.

If i use 2x intank pumps, id like to see how other people have made brackets to hold the second pump close to the bottom of the tank or if they have modified the tank to have an internal surge tank.

I used the stock GTR pump lifting to a 2L surge tank and a Bosch 044 from the surge tank feeding the fuel rail. Works wonders and has supported well over 300kw. I got the large kit from GCG, pretty good value imho.

Just replacing the in tank pump with a Bosch 040 now and leaving the single 044 from the surge tank, should support well over 450kw from what I have been told.

Hi mate, my 2.6 Astron is making 400kw, the fuel system is pretty serious, you really should be running a new fuel line up the car because volume will become your major issue. I run dash 10 braided line up the car, and have two Bosch 044 pumps. I run a cell but if you run a standard tank, id be running a 4 liter surge tank, fed by your standard intank pump, and then either bosh motorsport pumps, or a Magna fuel pump. this ensures good pressure and volume. We are talking 400kw at the tyres, 530hp. pretty serious power for a street car that is only going to be used for the occassional track day. If your looking at around 300kw a good intank pump with standard fuel line will do the job.

Ok, well im looking at 400rwkw, and the occasioinaly blat around the track.

I know that both are effective (as ive used both in different cars previously).

Im interested in setups as far as finding spots to put a surge tank without wasting to much boot space.

If i use 2x intank pumps, id like to see how other people have made brackets to hold the second pump close to the bottom of the tank or if they have modified the tank to have an internal surge tank.

Edited by Bezerkly

Hi mate, my 2.6 Astron is making 400kw, the fuel system is pretty serious, you really should be running a new fuel line up the car because volume will become your major issue. I run dash 10 braided line up the car, and have two Bosch 044 pumps. I run a cell but if you run a standard tank, id be running a 4 liter surge tank, fed by your standard intank pump, and then either bosh motorsport pumps, or a Magna fuel pump. this ensures good pressure and volume. We are talking 400kw at the tyres, 530hp. pretty serious power for a street car that is only going to be used for the occassional track day. If your looking at around 300kw a good intank pump with standard fuel line will do the job.

I run a similar setup...except i use the std fuel lines as feeds...dual feed... (to engine and return lines) and run a 5/8 braided line as the new return.

Ive got the bunji tube to run my second fuel line already, so im not to far off the ball then.

currently, ive got a 500hp walbro pump and it feeds 3.5 litres per minute, that seems to be working fine for the power i have at the moment.(last i checked was 211kw)

If i went with the surge tank i was thinking i would use a holly blue to feed the tank and have a bosch pump from the tank to the rail.

My car has 400+rwkw and a single 044 intank. The car is fine on track but I have never run it with less than 1/4 tank of petrol. A surge tank is defintely a better/safer and faster upgrade. I have all of the parts for the setup but still not sure on how/what is the best way to rig it up.

Could you guys post some DIY tips/pics and also let us know how loud the setup is?

Thx