SAU Community

4wd Light On

gzzmos

hey had some work done on my motor and now my 4wd light is on, the work i had done was i/c piping etc.

does anyone know the common problems for this light to be on?

my 4WD light comes on every now and then when i start the car, although all i have to do is turn it off then on again and it goes away. By the way, the car loves to get sideways when the light is on... good old RWD :whistling::):P

my 4WD light comes on every now and then when i start the car, although all i have to do is turn it off then on again and it goes away. By the way, the car loves to get sideways when the light is on... good old RWD :whistling::):P

yeah ive tryed that and it stays on all the time. wen it hits boost it really goes sideways

Doesnt say what the abnormality is - it's just a warning. As per Andy's post it obviously stops working otherwise he wouldnt get it so easily sideways in the dirt.

As the car is constant AWD there is no switch to turn it off or on. except for the synxchro (S) button which I believe acts more like a central diff lock. Which is why the steering gets heavy on full lock when synchro is activated.

Not that I know any of this by expereienxce as mine is 2WD only.

abnormality? like...?

not operating correctly, low attessa fluid maybe (in the boot) ??? dodgy wiring, stuffed attessa pump, or anything related with the attessa stuff, try accessing the attessa ecu in the boot as per another post i showed pics of where its located and read the diagnostic light sequence and check it up on the workshop manual for what is the problem.

Edited by CruiseLiner

i have mine come on every now and then, when it does, i just turn the car off and on.

I also had it come on once because i didnt put the plug back right into the ecu and one end was being held up.

also, i got it when i disconnected the vac line on the bov for some flutter, car stalled and then the 4wd light would come on every now and then along with the car driving like poo. It went away after a while, guess the ECU taught itself.

Doesnt say what the abnormality is - it's just a warning. As per Andy's post it obviously stops working otherwise he wouldnt get it so easily sideways in the dirt.

Who said anything about being in the dirt? :):(:bunny:

Please dont ask for manuals.

Other than that, I dont have a 4WD light, mines a HICAS light, same thing as I have a 260RS dash, and mine never comes on, only when the key is in the ON position but not actually started the car....?

But all that said, Brad is spot on, check fluid levels and/or attessa system!

yeah ive tryed that and it stays on all the time. wen it hits boost it really goes sideways

4wd light on all the time = not bled or no fluid...if it goes sideways, its prolly not working, check the resovoiur in the boot and see if both the top and bottom tank is full? and maybe bleed the system too...might fix ur problem...but my light stayed on when i put my engine back in last week until i bled the system out :D

attessa systems are very expensive (ie $3500 - $5500)..... dont stuff around with it, if the light is on have the problem diagnosed & fixed swiftly, or pay the consequences.

the tank is full, but ive been told that theres a earth wire in the engine bay for the atessa system, so they might of removed it so im goin on a hunt when it stops raining over here lol

ska - sweet as dude i wont

Edited by gzzmos

Please dont ask for manuals.

Other than that, I dont have a 4WD light, mines a HICAS light, same thing as I have a 260RS dash, and mine never comes on, only when the key is in the ON position but not actually started the car....?

But all that said, Brad is spot on, check fluid levels and/or attessa system!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY DONT ASK FOR MANUALS ????????????????????????????I DONT GET YOU GUYS .ITS OK FOR FUNKY TO SELL EM SORTA BUT NOBODY ELSE IS ALOWD TO SHARE .......

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY DONT ASK FOR MANUALS ????????????????????????????I DONT GET YOU GUYS .ITS OK FOR FUNKY TO SELL EM SORTA BUT NOBODY ELSE IS ALOWD TO SHARE .......

There is a $189 / 491 page R33 Service Manual, I think thats the one they mean. There 'was' once a link to it for a downloadable PDF file of it, but thats been shutdown. Im pretty sure JPNZ own the rights to this translated manual, and therefore it breaches copyright if it is 'exchanged' between ppl wiothout $$ rights going to JPNZ.

I dont know how Funky has gotten around all that, maybe becasue his manuals are in Japanese writting and the local Japanese copyright may not be applicable in Australia, whereas JPNZ is a New Zealand company who translated this Japanese manual, and being based in NZ therefore AUS laws apply.

Hope that helps! I was lucky enough to come across the service manual in pdf format (via GOOGLE, hahahaha) just before the webpage was shutdown. I saved it to disk and have not reproduced it in any way shape or form. Lately I have been asked a lot if I can forward this pdf.file onto ppl.........

My manual came with the car - its a JPNZ one, but only 258 pages. An abbreviated version like the type you normally would get in any jap car that tells you every useless bit of info about how to turn lights on and off and how to drive the car up and down hills. But never contains anything mildly important if you want to fix something - standard reply is, "if in need of servicing please refer to your nearest Nissan dealer."

All that aside, it did have extra info on the 4WD light dilema. And I qoute:

The 4WD light will illuminate when the ignition is turned ON and it will turn off when the engine is running.

When the 4WD warning lights shows or will not illuminate when the ignition is ON, have your vehicle checked by your Nissan dealer as soon as possible (told you it was helpful)

If the warning light flashes check that all tyres are the same size and brand (This includes air pressure) If the light continues to flash, then (you guessed it) have it checked by your Nissan....

If the light turns on when driving, the ATTESA system will cease functioning but normal driving will be possible.

The 2nd last point makes sense - if the tyres are rotating at different speeds then the ATTESA isnt going to engage because it will be fighting against itself like trying to engage two gears at once, so it will opt out and not engage at all, hence the warning light.

• 16 years later...
On 4/27/2006 at 1:12 AM, 3intheBack said:

The 2nd last point makes sense - if the tyres are rotating at different speeds then the ATTESA isnt going to engage because it will be fighting against itself like trying to engage two gears at once, so it will opt out and not engage at all, hence the warning light.

So light could be on because of uneven tyre pressure? Would that apply to just the rear tyres though.