SAU Community

Sticky Topic

66yostagea

Started the engine but gear shifter wouldnt move. With engine running, if i pressed the brake pedal a clicking noise could be heard in the consol at the bottom of the shifter, also turning the key on and off produced the same sound. Presumably this is a solenoid of sorts that locks/unlocks the shift lever.ie a steal stopper.

Eventually I got it the shifter lock to open by fiddling (swearing a lot) and stop starting the engine.

It is now doing it sometimes.

Any ideas, or similar problem experienced?

Ive just had another look.

With engine running the shifter button only goes half in. When i depress foot brakebutton goes allway in and operates of until you turn offf. Then process starts again.

Edited by 66yostagea

The clicking is the interlock releasing. It stops you putting the car into gear without having your foot on the brake, therefore stopping you leaping into the garage wall, etc.

All auto's have it.

You cannot move the shifter out of 'P' (and 'N', I think) without the ignition on and the brake pedal pushed.

It's not a fault, it's just an auto.

I've been driving the car acouple of months and this is the first time this has happened. Previously i have not been conscious of having my foot on the brake at the time of selecting a gear.Hmmmmmmm?

I must be getting past it and need a wheelchair. Anyway I'm going to see the silver Stager whois just down the road

Edited by 66yostagea

ive always had a clicking gate.

if you want to torque dump the car, put it in N and then rev rev D :cheers:

Ill be giving that a go when beastien sends me his auto box to put in after his manual conversion.

its a safety measure being developed by the germans. therefore all germans car do that. its to guard against children playing with the auto trans shifter lever and got the car moving. i didnt know the japs adopted this

66yo - I believe you have an S2 in which case the little red button is an overide to the locking mechanism.

If you pass your right arm under your left leg and press the red button with your right thumb while pressing the gear selector nob with your left thumb and pulling backwards, it will come out of P and into gear. In which case you will have backed into the garage wall because you forgot to press the brake pedal with your spare leg.

The red button is useful for moving the gear selector when the ignition is off, and when you're working on the centre console and cant get it back far enough cause it hits the selector.

S1 actually. But many thanks. I looked up j-spec 5724 and saw the red button yyou sreak of. My S1 dosnt have it.

It is interesting what Yudy said about this feature being German. The S! I have is a 1996 model so Nissan have been using it for ten years maybe more.

Do Bommerdores and Found On Rubbish Dumps have this feature?

Another interesting feature that Nissan had on the RMR30 Ti was being able to close the electric windows after the engine is turned off, without putting the key back in.Very handy.

S1 actually. But many thanks. I looked up j-spec 5724 and saw the red button yyou sreak of. My S1 dosnt have it.

It is interesting what Yudy said about this feature being German. The S! I have is a 1996 model so Nissan have been using it for ten years maybe more.

Do Bommerdores and Found On Rubbish Dumps have this feature?

Another interesting feature that Nissan had on the RMR30 Ti was being able to close the electric windows after the engine is turned off, without putting the key back in.Very handy.

dont forget though the 260rs its 2nd car i owned which is japamese. I have driven BMWS most of the time until i came to oz. My fisrt car was my landcruise . so... I drove mostly continental cars all my life until recently.

When I get my Forester back next weekwill let you know.

Worst car ever. A/T fix $2900.

I suggest at your next transmission oil change use the additive you will see the difference

its a safety measure being developed by the germans. therefore all germans car do that. its to guard against children playing with the auto trans shifter lever and got the car moving. i didnt know the japs adopted this

The foot-brake interlock was developed by the Germans, yes, particularly Audi. Americans with less than half-a-brain (most of them, in my opinion) started running litigation suits against car manufacturers for "unintended acceleration." Instead of said Americans taking responibility for their own actions, they blamed the car (a machine, after all) for moving when the gear selector was moved into either Reverse or Drive, causing shock, injury, or - at worst - death as the car lurched backwards or forwards under its own unhindered power...

Audi was the hardest hit in the litigations, and it almost brought them down...

It's not exactly being developed, most of this litigation and the changes to cars happened 20-30 years ago. It's the same reason that early Hyundai's were amongst the first to have the same system on their manual cars, where the engine couldn't be cranked over until the clutch was depressed all the way to the floor.

(See, Hyundai's were good for something - it's a shame that that about covers it...)

Since joining this Forum I am astounded at the details of Auto Enthusiasm that abounds.

A simple thing like not putting my foot on the brake before selecting a gear, has produced a wealth of dispersable knowledge.

We are all the wiser.

Also I think my typing is improving.

Well we all like cars i suppose. Thats why we are into it. But to tell you the truth though i like NA cars better. I think thas where the tech is. dont you guys agree?

For an example the Bmw M5 thats a beast!! The agine is made up of magensium ally and it wiegh no more than 300kg and its a v10!! There goed the niche of the rotary of a lightwieght engine.

But the rotary is still another matter i like it though. Cos i can say my engine redlined @9500rmp stick!! hahahahah

Well we all like cars i suppose. Thats why we are into it. But to tell you the truth though i like NA cars better. I think thas where the tech is. dont you guys agree?

For an example the Bmw M5 thats a beast!! The agine is made up of magensium ally and it wiegh no more than 300kg and its a v10!! There goed the niche of the rotary of a lightwieght engine.

But the rotary is still another matter i like it though. Cos i can say my engine redlined @9500rmp stick!! hahahahah

Hey Yudy,

We all have M5's as well, we keep that talk to the M5 forum though...

:P

Stagea forums IMO are some of the best around. Its because no one here is a little 14 year old trying to be cool.

We all are mature people who know to keep shut unless we actually know something about what needs to be said.