SAU Community

Cai Box

Tangles

OK

Im going to base it on the R33 airbox, and get a snorkel made up to suit that. ie itd have the same funnel opening into the airbox, but the funnel opening at the front of the car on topof the engine bay will be HUGE. Might look silly, but it'll surely get some air.

With the template one, I'll have to bend it or something to make it fit the stagea (due to maxx's cai unit being at a slightly different angle compared to normal. But thats all good. From then, I might offer a group buy or something on them? Only drawing board stage but Im sure 100 SAU forum users out there with standard airbox's might want a 'ss induction' type snorkel air feed.

:nyaanyaa:

What about the radiator cap??? hhmmm silly me. :D

might not be on such a grand scale as I presumed.

pretty much a tube made up like a standard snorkel but with a custom fit and an air intake opening as per the space available, or hack at the standard snorkel adding metal fabrication to join it to the cai enclosure.

doh.

although a clone air intake opening with a joining piece on the other side of the radiator is a possibility......... !

Edited by Tangles

well, a nice neat job.

Didnt do my idea above ^^ (yet - maybe sometime ya never know)

Utilising standard R33 snorkel (machined edge of radiator support metal bracket), moved the boost bracket, and filed a little metal to clear the afm wires neatly.

You can see the blue line where I was going to cut to make it fit, but it was all sorted and all fitted well - with the extraordinary efforts of Pete (66 Skyline GT), thanks mate.

Gave Pete my rb25afm for his RB20det 66 Skyline GT, a good deal. His car is a 'wee-rippa' for sure, 140rwkw weighing a tonne. :P He's also might be able to help me with extending the seat brackets slightly. :) that'll be awesome!

So - Maxx's cai for R33/R34 skyline does fit as is, just a tiny touch up needed to suit the Stageas. Going to finish it by adding heat-foam stuff stuck to the inside, and that'll help close the little air gaps etc. (edit: painted the lid black, looks sorta stock lol, and bought a heap of heat-insulated foam for $10)

:)

post-18854-1149312228.jpg post-18854-1149312162.jpg

post-18854-1149312065.jpg post-18854-1149312266.jpg

and a pic from outside (cant see the cai LOL but you can see the nice sorted suspension) :D

post-18854-1149312313.jpg

edit: oh yeah, flows lotsa clean cold air, can tell that prior to this cai install the k&n pod had been sucking engine bay air. Safc now needs a slight retune lol although very minro, that can wait now for the larger turbo.

Edited by Tangles

Any power difference at all do you think Brendan?

well, Im sure I could feel a 0.8% gain LOL

in fact, if the car had Bass Junky's radiator guide installed, and had the safc/sitc retuned as is now, Im sure itd gain an extra couple awkw above 4600rpm in 2nd gear - felt a new 'slight hesitation' there.

Im200% positive thatd be because more (however slight) denser cool air is going thru the system now meaning at one point in the higher rev range the air/fuel mixture is out slightly. A good retune would surely yield a couple more ponies, however its all a waiting game now until the forced induction 'flow' is increased :)

edit: I really like how it fits into the engine bay - looks good.

Edited by Tangles

OK - update.

sucked down half a tank of fuel in 150kms, so it looks to me as if right atm, the airbox is supplying too much air, and Im losing over 20kms per 1/4 tank of fuel.

So, got heaps of air coming thru on boost, so my safc is now saying throw in heaps of fuel..... need it retuned I guess, but have to wait until Ive got the cash for a hiflow.

:(