SAU Community

Did I Get Ripped Off?

l have always wondered this. i have a mongoose alarm m80 series with 3 point imobiliser blah blah blah.

is this alarm suppose to be hooked up to the passenger door as well??

when l disarm the alarm, but dont touch the car it will rearm itself fully not just imobilise the engine ( that is lock the doors again), however if l disarm the alarm and open the passenger door, the alarm does not sense that any door has been opened and fully rearm itself,

Which leads me to think that the passenger door can be jimmied or opened however theives do it... and my alarm won't know.

is there an easy fix?? l had the alarm installed in january this year, and l dont want to go back to that S@#$hole :P if thats how dodgy they are. l'd prefer to go somehere a little more reliable.

from your profille it says you have a r33 , so i am going to base what i say on this.

It sound like your car would be fairly easy to steal.

Why?

Well not because one door does not trigger the alarm. But becasue the original installer obviously had no idea what he was doing. The r33 use one wire to sense both doors opening, so having only one working means that installer -

- did not have much skill

- does not know skylines

- has probably left the alarm box in your kick panel or just under the dash

- was working to a price

I think what you should do is have a look under your dash, drivers kickpanel to see if you can see the alarm, if you can, dont bother taking it back to your original installer, take it to someone who knows what the are doing and get the entire alarm relocated and rewired.

Sure its extra money, but really from what you have said, it would most likely take less than 30 seconds to steal your car at the moment.

That SUCKS :angry:

:):verymad::):verymad::verymad::verymad:

I dont even know what the alarm looks like. Is it a big box ,,,small????

Where is good or reputable in Sydney Area

How much do you think it would cost to rewire it??

l know that all the wires are black and i didn't get a manual with it.

ASSH$%#$%#% :verymad:

Glad you dont know where l live >_<

Hey thanks for the tips.

This Car is giving me headaches, l just spent a fair bit on suspension, now this, l know that after these two things are out of the way something else is going to happen, :D

Edited by OPtimus Prime

someone hasnt a clue on R33's - they use two circiuts on the doors- drivers is ISOLATED from the other side- 4 door is the same.

I second FRX026 - get it redone properly(actually PM me and I'll give you the fellow I refer sydney work to.). also be prepared to pay for the work as doing it properly doesn't take 5 minutes or 1 hour to do. trust me I have done hundreds of these cars ( 3 this week at 5hrs each!) and if its done poorly then the car is good as gone.

• 2 weeks later...
someone hasnt a clue on R33's - they use two circiuts on the doors- drivers is ISOLATED from the other side- 4 door is the same.

I second FRX026 - get it redone properly(actually PM me and I'll give you the fellow I refer sydney work to.). also be prepared to pay for the work as doing it properly doesn't take 5 minutes or 1 hour to do. trust me I have done hundreds of these cars ( 3 this week at 5hrs each!) and if its done poorly then the car is good as gone.

yeah 5 hours seemed about the time it took to install, by professional. I have Mongoose Alarm with microwave sensor. Microwave, sends a signal around the car and inside, so before an intruder touches your car the alarm chirps, then once even they lay a whole hand on or inside the vehicle, it immediately PANICS.

See if your alarm is compatible with a microwave sensor. may fix this entirely.

I used the bloke Chris Rogers refers too in Sydney, his name is Alan. Did a pretty good job. Installed the alarm system within the dash so you can't tamper with it without ripping the dash out first. Certainly happy with the quality of his work, not that i know much.

Interesting you mention the alarm re-arms itself (alarm, immobiliser, and locks) if you dont open a door after disarming it. Havent noticed if mine does, will certainly go check tonight.

But i do know my immobiliser kicks in after 30seconds of the keys being removed/car disarmed and not started, and that conflicts with my turbo timer if i have it set for 30 seconds.... alarm goes off ! Spewing. So i have turbo timer set at 20 seconds.

^ You should take it back to this bloke and get him to make it work with the turbo timer. You can make it work.

Not really worth the hassle. Why do i need more than 20 seconds anyway, not like im always thrashing it.

Hey Xizor

I just fitted finished fitting new shocks in my car today, so l am ready to tackle this issue now.

l dont suppose you have a contact number for alan???? :) l know he is from MAXI security but l dont have a number,.

also could you tell me how much it cost you??

as you know l already have the alarm. but if he has to take it out and put it back in. i think its gonna hit the hip pocket a bit. wooooo, nothing a bit of O/T at work can't handle l suppose.... 4 hours of extra work a day....ergh...

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

try arming your car then use the key to open the passenger door and see if the alarm goes off. it it doesnt work id take it back to installer may have missed connecting wire to the door/light sensor switch when u open door your interior light comes on.hope it helps

when l disarm the alarm, but dont touch the car it will rearm itself fully not just imobilise the engine ( that is lock the doors again), however if l disarm the alarm and open the passenger door, the alarm does not sense that any door has been opened and fully rearm itself,

Before you take it back or pay someone I would ring up the mongoose (distributor or direct) and get the low down from them.

I believe that the auto arm function will reset the system after 30 seconds to the state it was at previously. ie if you had the doors unlocked before re-arm then it will not lock the doors after 30 seconds, it will only arm the immobiliser.

If you disarm the system (when the doors and everything was locked) and do not touch anything the re-arm will reset everything to the same state it was before (it will lock all doors and immobilise the engine). It mentions this in the instruction manual, i think it does this so that you cannot lock your keys in the car. Imagine that you disabled the system (unlocking doors and mobilising the engine), got in your car then got out again and left your keys on the seat. If the auto re-arm locked the doors then you wouldn't be able to get back in!!

Hope this helps clear things up - I don't think you got ripped off.

Edited by R.C

Hi R.C

Thats the thing though, if l disarm the car, open up the passenger door and for arguments sake drop my keys in the car then shut the door, after 30 seconds doors will lock and imobiliser rearms itself.

This is what lead me to believe that the passenger door was not hooked up. ( i also did not get a instruction manual with the alarm.)

R.C and godzl1975

you have no idea how hard it is to control myself from blurting out the name of the place that installed the alarm ( think l read somewhere that slander is not tolerated on businesses in the forum), but l guess silly me learn't the hard way that you do indeed get what you pay for.

I have followed Chris Rogers advice in this forum and pay someone decent money to do the job once, save myself the hassle..

Thanks R.C and godzl1975 for the replies though, much appreciated :thumbsup:

hopefully get this alarm sorted out in the next two weeks.