SAU Community

Ppg Or Os Giken Box?

Yeah mate the extra info would be great thanks.

Seems to be the goods if I get the trust box, therefore I can sell the gtr box and it’ll turn out only being ~$1000 more than the os kit :D

We have got a PPG here straight cut except 4th and 5th which are the upgraded helicut gears. It has 400km on the box, selling for around 6.5k, paid 8.8k. Just thought i would chuck this up there incase someone was interested.

As a side I don't have any problems with the OS product, I have had experience with 2 only but both had issues, this sint to say someone in AUS has had the the exact same experience with PPG, its just soemthing I have mentioned!!

Cheers,

Dan

Guest Mashrock

Hi Andrew

Tim here. Yes of course I remember.

I guess over the years we have delivered more than 400 of these 6 speed kits for the GTR. Over the years there were many revisions made, most of them to improve the power handling capability of the kit, rather than to replace items that caused problems. Basically the kit is limited because it fits into the standard casing. This means the ultimate strength is restricted by the distance between the shafts – the gear diameter cant increase because of the distance between mainshaft and layshaft.

We saw cars handling anything up to 1000hp use these kits, but where difficulties arise is when the gearbox is used in a circuit environment especially due to the heat build up – a trans cooler is needed for this. Drag racing puts a fair strain on the input side of things, the last kits used a bigger diameter input shaft and wider semi helical gears.

Also the later generation of ‘stroker’ conversions bigger than 2.7l don’t help because engine torque levels increase which then literally tear the gears off. As far as assembly goes, as long as someone puts it together who knows what they are doing, then it should be ok. The old adage, ‘don’t fix it if it isn’t broken’ is best applied here.

I can arrange assembly for you in the UK, but the shipping cost is going to be restrictive in my opinion.

Does that help you at all ? What engine size and power are you expecting to have, and what are you going to do with the car ? that might help determine if its going to work for you

Best regards

Tim

i'll just post it up here for reference about trust kits.

do some research shane. about dog boxes and what not.

I used it in my car for a while untill i realised i didnt have 5th and 6th. it was noisy (but it was a good noise) the wine of straight cut gears freaks out anyone driving beside you.

They wernt the best things for street. but were great at speed. If you didnt know i went the way of putting a beefed up 34gtr box into my car but ended up rather costly. but i use the car on street more than anything so i thought it was best.

p.s. i will try make it over to craft this week to get it all assembled right. the boss shall understand :P

Edited by Mashrock

PPG for a full strait cut dog box $9600 and the OS close ratio full 5 speed with uprated main shaft at $3500

not sure about ratios for the ppg but the os are close ratio'd

dont forget, $3500, then you gotta have it all installed/sealed etc etc.

5k job maybe a bit more

Hi Andrew

Tim here. Yes of course I remember.

I guess over the years we have delivered more than 400 of these 6 speed kits for the GTR. Over the years there were many revisions made, most of them to improve the power handling capability of the kit, rather than to replace items that caused problems. Basically the kit is limited because it fits into the standard casing. This means the ultimate strength is restricted by the distance between the shafts – the gear diameter cant increase because of the distance between mainshaft and layshaft.

We saw cars handling anything up to 1000hp use these kits, but where difficulties arise is when the gearbox is used in a circuit environment especially due to the heat build up – a trans cooler is needed for this. Drag racing puts a fair strain on the input side of things, the last kits used a bigger diameter input shaft and wider semi helical gears.

Also the later generation of ‘stroker’ conversions bigger than 2.7l don’t help because engine torque levels increase which then literally tear the gears off. As far as assembly goes, as long as someone puts it together who knows what they are doing, then it should be ok. The old adage, ‘don’t fix it if it isn’t broken’ is best applied here.

I can arrange assembly for you in the UK, but the shipping cost is going to be restrictive in my opinion.

Does that help you at all ? What engine size and power are you expecting to have, and what are you going to do with the car ? that might help determine if its going to work for you

Best regards

Tim

i'll just post it up here for reference about trust kits.

do some research shane. about dog boxes and what not.

I used it in my car for a while untill i realised i didnt have 5th and 6th. it was noisy (but it was a good noise) the wine of straight cut gears freaks out anyone driving beside you.

They wernt the best things for street. but were great at speed. If you didnt know i went the way of putting a beefed up 34gtr box into my car but ended up rather costly. but i use the car on street more than anything so i thought it was best.

p.s. i will try make it over to craft this week to get it all assembled right. the boss shall understand :D

3ltr bottom end is the worry. keeping the twin turbo set-up also as the car will be mainly used for circuit work, hill climbs etc. I'll be using the Garrett equivalent of HKS GTRS's with a fully built bottom end and built head (ported, uprated valvetrain, cams etc)

Don't worry i have been searching for helpful information but so far i havnt come across anyhting other than in this thread.

Tarek from RACESPEC is currently getting my quote finalised and i'm waiting to see how much he can get the OS kits for, if it comes within $1000 or so (including assembly) of what i can get the Trust box for, i'll be getting the Trust box.

Cant wait til this step is finished (parts combinations & pricing) and then i can send the block and head off to John!

Guest Mashrock

i'm going to be putting trans and diff cooelrs on my car as they are cheep and i'm all for making things last longer >_<

and also on ease to change oils :D

(i figure it would be easier anyway turn the pump on fill her up)

dont forget, $3500, then you gotta have it all installed/sealed etc etc.

5k job maybe a bit more

I agree with ash on this. If you are looking at an OS its not just the purchase price and your away. Its $3k purchase price + shipping + customs duty (if you cop it) + New Nissan Series 3 R33 GTR Syncros + Building / labour cost, easily 5k. I have looked into the exact same boxes and found the OS to be an excellent comprimise for the money.

I say compromise because, at the end of the day, it wont allow you lightening quick gear shifts like a dog box, but will still retain the smooth shift of the standard box and hold a HEAP more power/torque than a standard one.

A dogbox is noisy (but i love the sound), can be difficult to change gears (up or down) and wears out quicker than it probably should (well in the trust case anyway, i cant say that for every dogbox available)

If you are wanting a track box, and are a bit price sensitive, you cant go past the OS. HOWEVER....you have to remember that you are buying a japanese gearbox. This means replacement parts MAY be harder to get, or take longer to ship. If you are buying an Australian made product, there should be sufficient replacement parts / support within a decent time frame and price......should be >_<

Mashrock u get my PM i sent earlier???

I've been reading through the gtr.co.uk site and i've come to the conclusion that the dog box won't suit me. Main reason is that they need rebuilding every ~6 months and are mainly designed to be shifted at high rpm. I dont want a box that i need to rebuild and fork money out on, so the OS is the way >_<

Thanks for all the info & help lads, muchly appreciated :ermm:

• 4 weeks later...

what so hard about dog box in traffic ? i just bought one from japan...trust 6 speed and am planning to put ikea formula sequential shifter kit on it...will that make it easier to drive ?

and rebuild..how often does it need to be rebuild ?

thanks

have a read on here www.gtr.co.uk that's where i found the most info about them, and acme to the decision that a dog box (because of the need to rebuild them quite often) is not for me. but i'm going for a complete os giken kit.