SAU Community

Different Tyre Widths

hey guys ive been having some problems with my wheels they are 20 inch 225/35/20 i got new tyres put on and the front inner tryes rub on the strut and have worn the insides abit and make driving very annyoing and smelling smoke is pisin me off. ive decided to get 19s or 18s instead. the guards had been fully prepped for 20s rolled and wat not so if i get smaller rims will this problem go away. also i would like to get wider tryes like 235s will this be okay.

cheers :)

Sounds to me like the height of the tyre is too much..

Are the tyres rubbing on the edge or on the tread? I know it is in the very corner, but you should be able to see by the wear if it is from the bottom of the strut or the side of the strut. if it is from the bottom of the strut then your tyres would be too tall,

I would stick with the 20's and I would see about getting some tyres in maybe a 225x30x20 same width just a little bit smaller in height,

but if it is rubbing ont he side of the strut, then the height is fine, but the width is prolly too much, seeif you can look into some 215x40x20's they should be around the palce, but you will prolly be paying a bit for them.

Cant give you a rough price at the moment, cos im not at work.. I will check tuesday morning and get back to you.

yeah umm the struts arnet stock they are aftermarket so i dnt no if this changes anythin but, the inside of the tyre is rubbing. Yes the inside corner of the tread is rubbing on the top of the strut no the side its the inside tread thats wearing. cheers man like u said if u can get bak to me it would be great. this only happens on front tryes not rear. oh yeah my car is r32gtst

yeah but on the inside of the tyre where it is rubbing, you will see rub marks on the strut, have a look if it rubbing the strut on the side or on the bottom of the strut plate? this way you can tell if your tyres are too tall or too wide.

I've got 18" onthe fron of mine. 235/35. So if you go 235 at the front on 18''s, shouldnt have any issues.

I've got 265/35/18 at the back.

I think 19" are ok too, but not sure of the width you could fit.

Someone with 19"s let us know?

well, fitting 20's on any car is gonna have problems!

why do you need rims that big?? it's just stupid...

Your problem will be due to the profile of the tyre being too high (e.g. rolling diameter is too big) - if it's rubbing on the top of the tyre

Or.

offset of the wheels isn't low enough and it's rubbing on the side wall of the tyres

pick whatever size tyre suits the rims you buy (diameter and width of rim), make sure the rims you buy are in the correct offset...

assuming ur tyre plc recommended correct tyres ie: keeping the rolling diameter the same or close to stock, your problem will be wheel offset. Especially when you have aftermarket coilovers. You will need to find a wheel with lower offset ie: move the wheel further away from the struts. But as said before above...stick with 18s and you won't have much problems...

is why i suggested same width but dropping the profile down a little bit. that way it will bring the rolling diam. closer to factory.

But yes 20s on any car ca some times be a struggle, only because as they step up in size, they step out in size to make the strenght of the rim the same (or in some cases similar).

yeah cheers its rubbin on the top of the stut plate made the strut a shiny silver, yeah will definatley go 18s will also lower cost of tryes aswell. cheers guys

The offset of a wheel is determined by the distance from the back of the wheel where the breaks bold up to. to the back bead of the rim.

So if you lay the rim face down, and measure the distance from where the wheel bolts up to the back bead, then that is the offset (backspace) it will also allow you to work out if there is enough inside clearance from your break (studs) to your struts.

Follow that link, should help you more.

...then that is the offset (backspace)
Those are 2 different measurements. BACKSPACE is the actual distance from the inner rim of the wheel to the mounting face. OFFSET is the distance from the (vertical) centre of the rim to the mounting face.

BACKSPACE is always +ve. OFFSET can be +ve or -ve (Skylines, and most modern cars, run +ve offset).

(PS, it's BRAKES, not BREAKS!)

hey guys ive been having some problems with my wheels they are 20 inch 225/35/20 i got new tyres put on and the front inner tryes rub on the strut and have worn the insides abit and make driving very annyoing and smelling smoke is pisin me off. ive decided to get 19s or 18s instead. the guards had been fully prepped for 20s rolled and wat not so if i get smaller rims will this problem go away. also i would like to get wider tryes like 235s will this be okay.

cheers :D

A 35 profile tyre on 20" rims on a Skyline is FAARR TOOO TAALLL.

As a rule-of-thumb, for each 1" wheel diameter change, the profile changes by 10. Most Skylines run a 17" rim with a 45 profile tyre. You are running a 20" rim - 3" bigger - which means you should only be running a 15 profile tyre. That basically amounts to "wrap a strip of rubber around the rim, and call it a tyre". With such a small sidewall, the car will handle like crap. And a car that doesn't handle is a car that isn't safe.

An 18" rim is the biggest I would fit to a Skyline (I actually run 17s).

A 35 profile tyre on 20" rims on a Skyline is FAARR TOOO TAALLL.

As a rule-of-thumb, for each 1" wheel diameter change, the profile changes by 10. Most Skylines run a 17" rim with a 45 profile tyre. You are running a 20" rim - 3" bigger - which means you should only be running a 15 profile tyre. That basically amounts to "wrap a strip of rubber around the rim, and call it a tyre". With such a small sidewall, the car will handle like crap. And a car that doesn't handle is a car that isn't safe.

An 18" rim is the biggest I would fit to a Skyline (I actually run 17s).

Not to mention the crap quality ride having only tht much rubber between the road and the wheel...u might as well be running on rims only :D