SAU Community

Weather Strips On R32 Front Windows

WAN73D

hey guys,

i have a r32 and once again i'm bitchin about the weather strips that go around the front side window. Mine look like shite. I've done some searchin and people recommend using things like maguiars back to black to make them black again. which is cool,i will try this when i get the time. But the thing is the weather strip is starten to discintegrate and probably needs replacing. The thing is i've read that it costs $250 from nissan to get this! WTF! its a strip of plastic!

Now i can't make sense in the past searches that they're talkin about the seal on the inside of the window, or the weather strip on the outside. To me this weather strip on the outside seems like a DIY that you could get the rubber from Clark Rubber.

Can anyone confirm that you can DIY this weather strip? $250 seems like abs crap.

here's a picture of mine.

post-24552-1150245457.jpg

here's another pic

as you can se it starts from in front of the rear quarter window and goes down to just behind the side rear vision mirror. Probably about 1.5 metres in length, 1.5cm wide and 1-2mm thick. And nissan want $250 from me for this apparently...riiigghhttt

I sense Do It Yourself.

post-24552-1150245772.jpg

your right, it does look like crap :P

i thinks theres more important things in life to worry about than how black your weather strip is. hell, i had my car 3 days before the bottom end went. theres worse things mate, trust me.

oh btw, rubber is cheap as chips, just DIY it and see what happens, if it doesnt work, whack the old one back in.

makes sense no?

all the best, steve :D

but im sure if he wants his car to look its best then it is something to worry about :P

P.s. how could you DIY that ? they wouldnt be easy to make, especially by hand.

You can't really just bung some rubber in there.

That's what happens when you buy old cars like 32s. things wear out. MEguirs won't do anything to that. they're dead and cracked.

Either replace it or leave it and move on.

32s are cheap. the money you saved buying a 33 can pay for stuff like the odd window seal.

DIY will be impossible. and if you do get it to stay there chances are it will look like arse. if you do care about the way it looks the only viable option is new from nissan, otherwise just leave it as it.

hey guys

my car is in the process of getting painted and i needed new seals, so i just rang up a windscreen fitter and i bought front and rear seal for 90 bucks and in my opinion they look better then the nissan one and they are soft sillicon type rubber, pm me if u would like his number

You can't really just bung some rubber in there.

That's what happens when you buy old cars like 32s. things wear out. MEguirs won't do anything to that. they're dead and cracked.

Either replace it or leave it and move on.

32s are cheap. the money you saved buying a 33 can pay for stuff like the odd window seal.

im pretty sure most ppl who buy 32s preffer them :blink: i.e. me. so technically you dont save anything by not buying a 33 :)

im pretty sure most ppl who buy 32s preffer them :D i.e. me. so technically you dont save anything by not buying a 33 :D

hehe, nice one mate. Well said, for me a 33 was just not an option, it had to be 32. Plus i like the taking care of my car that needs to be done more so with 32's due to the age factor. Don't mean to spark a debate on that, but a DIY on a window seal that could potentially cost me a hard earned $250 is right up my alley.

FYI guys i think i might go for the old tyre blackener over the strips followed by some mothers back to black. Reason is the seals are very hard and a little bit cracked but still not about to fall apart. Also when it rains they turn almost black again indicating that they have the capacity to become damp and hold onto water...ie, the rubbers still got life.

im pretty sure most ppl who buy 32s preffer them :yes: i.e. me. so technically you dont save anything by not buying a 33 :)

Hahaha, I'm not going to start an r33 v r32 debate. If someone offered you an immaculate 97 model 33, woudl you not swap?

Hahaha, I'm not going to start an r33 v r32 debate. If someone offered you an immaculate 97 model 33, woudl you not swap?

HAHAHHAa thats like asking if you would swap your so called immaculate R33 for a exel

I would say thats a big NO....