SAU Community

Supercharging My Turboed Rb20det

Hi people

Now i've been reading another thread about this and i have a few questions.

first of all i have an rb20 with a gt30 out the side of it makes full boost at about 4800rpm a little laggy for me now i heared that the toyota 1ggze supercharger would be the quickest and easiest to fit, now what would i have to do to fit this supercharger what type of plumbing ect basically i want to know everything.

I have all of the usual gear

Zorst, FMIC, Computer, fuel ect

i wnat the supercharger to work up to about 4000rpm or untill the turbo starts making more power and then i want the supercharger to stop working alltogether and just allow the turbo to work. is this possible?? also is it possible to mount an indash switch so i can turn the blower off during normal driving ect.

The cars at a workshop at the moment and i can get everything done very cheap so before it goes to get a full tune i was thinking about doing this and saving money in the long run.

any help at all about this topic would be great cause i basically know fark all about superchargers

Sydneykid as usual you help woulpd be appreciated.

Cheers

anthony

we did this to a 1ggze toyota 2.0 6 cyl engine,

was factory supercharged running about 9psi,

then fitted the factory twin turbo setup off a 1ggte

the charger ran all the time and the turbos boosted

through the charger, out of the charger into front

mount then into plenum, it ran 25psi until the charger

shat itself(about 8 months) had awesome bottom end but didnt like to

rev over about 6000rpm though, but 25psi at about

2400rpm is pretty good. now runs big single to4 and makes

alot more power

we did this to a 1ggze toyota 2.0 6 cyl engine,

was factory supercharged running about 9psi,

then fitted the factory twin turbo setup off a 1ggte

the charger ran all the time and the turbos boosted

through the charger, out of the charger into front

mount then into plenum, it ran 25psi until the charger

shat itself(about 8 months) had awesome bottom end but didnt like to

rev over about 6000rpm though, but 25psi at about

2400rpm is pretty good. now runs big single to4 and makes

alot more power

So would it be possible to have the supercharger running seperatly and the charged air going into the intercooler( just plumbed into the same pipeing i'm using for the turbo) then into the plenum??

the reason why i want the blower to stop working at about 4000rpm is because i love the rush of my car hitting redline at 8400 rpm. but 25psi at 2400rpm sounds nuts!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

anthony

we had the charger on a switch as on the standard 1gg engine the

charger doesnt kick in until 2000rpm (its an electronic clutch like an

air con compressor) the only prob is when the charger is off the turbo

air has to push past the vanes in the charger which causes lag when the

charger is off, only ran about 10psi on just the turbos with more lag

than standard but once on boost was about the same as standard 1ggte,

to make it work as you describe you will need some kind of Y pipe before the intercooler with 1 way valves in each pipe. have it set so that once the turbos are on song and the one way valve in front of the charger is closed that the charge switched off (ie the drive is disengaged). it would take some thought and planning to nail down a good set-up but if it worked it would be quite nice.

Sound like a Nissan Super Turbo March. Beleive it or not they made a factory car like this with a super charger for low rpm then a turbo for high rpm.

i think there is a thread on it somewhere on here, there is an article in HPI too.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...p;hl=twincharge

hope that helps. do a search for "twincharge" and you'll get even more hits.

edit: WHENNY: those turbos would have been way, way too small. you would have had ripper response but the top end would have suffered as you describe. you would need a MUCH larger turbo (or turbos) than that to have your sizing correct.

Edited by StockyMcStock

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...p;hl=twincharge

hope that helps. do a search for "twincharge" and you'll get even more hits.

edit: WHENNY: those turbos would have been way, way too small. you would have had ripper response but the top end would have suffered as you describe. you would need a MUCH larger turbo (or turbos) than that to have your sizing correct.

ok basically what i wnat to know is this

I have a gt30 on my rb20 now full boost kicks in at 4800rpm a little laggy for me what i want to do is run the supercharger untill about 4000 rpm and then turn the supercharger off (is there a way that it can automatically disingage at this rpm cause i'm guessing that's when the turbo will produce more boost than the supercharger. now if this happens will the transition loose power for a second or two while it switches over to turbo. now the reason whyi want the supercharger from the 1ggze is because i can run it from my aircon belt as i don't have aircon at the moment. Now my ecu runs a map sensor so i don't need another airflow meter and i can re do the pipeing fairly easy so what i want to know is the chapest wat to ensure that the supercharger switches off when the turbo starts producing more power and i want this to feel very linier not like there is no power for a second or two.

So come on people put your thinking caps on and tell me what i should do.

Also can some one explain to me how i can run the supercharger of a switch so i can turn it off when i'm just driving normally and then be able to switch it on to have some fun like run a switch inside the cabin.

Also does anyone know how much boost the stock 1ggze supercharger produces?? and weather it is possible to do the above with this supercharger.

Cheers

anthony

the standard charger runs about 9psi on the 1gg

it has a standard magnetic clutch setup so you

can run the wires for the standard unit to switch

to turn it on and off, the run out from the back of the

clutch from memory, we just ran them into the car

and stuck the switch on the side of the gear stick

Maybe use a voltage switch from Jaycar or wherever to get the supercharger to disengage at a certain air flow value? And of course have an on/off switch for when you dont want the supercharger to work at all.

The complex part will be getting the air to bypass the supercharger and go straight to the turbo, you will need a few solenoid valves or something.

black_sky... stocky is right.

They have gone well into the topic at some very solid and deep length.

Could you please read the links provided as your questions have already been answered in much more detail

black_sky... stocky is right.

They have gone well into the topic at some very solid and deep length.

Could you please read the links provided as your questions have already been answered in much more detail

From what i have read of that post that is not what i'm looking at doing i don't want the turbo to be feeding the supercharger at all.

i was looking at the supercharger working by itself and re do the intercooler pipeing so the charged air goes through the same intercooler as the turbo then into the plenum and then when the turbo is producing more boost than the supercharger i want the supercharger to stop working all together. i don't want the turbo to feed the supercharger and then into the plenum. or is all that stuff in the above topic still relivent??

Cheers

anthony

Edited by black sky

the thread clearly explains why it is best not to do it the way you want. if you really really must do it that way, then good luck. i don't think it will work without a hell of a lot of tinkering, and it still won't be as good as a blow-through. have a good read of the thread first.