SAU Community

Standard Oil Pressure

mak0

Hey,

Got first service since owning a r33. I dont know what oil the previous owner had in it but my mechanic (who is my dads mate) put Mobil XHP 15w-40 in it. Before having this service my oil pressure guage was mainly around the 4 mark. When cold & warm. Now since the oil change the needle is all over the joint. First thing in the morning the needle jumps right up to the bar between 4 and 8 and then after about 5 mins of driving comes down to the 4 mark, also if i drive for prolonged periods now (25 mins+) the stupid bar drops way down to the mark between 4 and 0.

Is this oil rat shiz?

Am I doing any dmg with this crap in my sump? What are regular needle readings for cold and warm?

Cheers

Mako

this happened to me aswell and i am using motul 4100 full synthetic

My mate uses a MOTUL oil, i think it is called TurboCharge Light or something like that, not sure of its temp ratings but he reckons it is good shiz... but im not sure what his guage displays, i will have to ask him...

how long have you been using that oil for and has this only just started happening to you to?

When cold - oil pressure should be around 6..

When warm - @ 4,000 rpm should be around 4..

When warm - idle - should be around 2..

- Colder the oil.. the higher the oil pressure.. the harder you push the car.. the higher the oil pressure.. normal cruising - you should sit around 4 unless you come to an idle..

Oil pressure should vary.. it's normal.. if you don't know why - I suggest you read some sites on the web regarding cars or oil pressure

Edited by Links

its common for R33 and R32 to have problems with the oil pessure gauges. If you really concerned try getting hold of an After market Oil pressure gauge and try that.

Edited by ookami

this happened to me aswell and i am using motul 4100 full synthetic

Motul 4100 is not a fully synthetic engine oil if i'm not wrong. The 8100s and the 300Vs are the fully synthetic ones.

ok kool thanx for the feedback guys, it is possible that it was doing it before i changed oils but didnt notice but im not totally sure, anyway i feel more comfortable now knowing it is normal as it does make sense i just didnt expect it to vary from 2 to 6. I will conduct more research on oil pressure and temp just for personal interest.

Thanks a lot everyone

When cold - oil pressure should be around 6..

When warm - @ 4,000 rpm should be around 4..

When warm - idle - should be around 2..

mine does exactly this.. i think it's just below 6 at idle and when i'm doing ~2500rpm it is just above 6. but the other readings are spot on.

yeah. mine when warming up is around4-6 when warm. it idles 2-4 when on highway just below 4 but come off the highway and idle its below the 2 line. but drive again and its fine. stop and idle again and it will either be 2 or below 3. ive had it once halfway between 0-2 bar. this is on my 32GTR. im told the guage is shit and has a shitty reaction. dnt go by it and only go by the redlight on ur cluster if the light is on off goes ur engine..

dnt go by it and only go by the redlight on ur cluster if the light is on off goes ur engine..

Lol.... Yeah hopefully i'll never have to read that light.

Mine is all over the place aswell. It start off at about 6 for a bit then drops to 4 then after a while goes in between 0 and 2 and then goes back up to 4 and then back down to almost 0. It's really annoying because i got no idea what it's really at. looks like another guage is the way to go.

Its happened to me right after my oil change as well (motul 8100 5w40) or maybe i just didnt notice it before.

Around 6 when cold, slowly goes down to 4, then when the car gets warm goes to about 2, then after that just flutters around 2~4. This is in an R34 Gt-T btw.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys,

I've got an R33. I've just rebuilt the engine and it drives great but I had the same problem with my oil pressure guage all over the place but it wasn't the gauge, it's the oil pressure sender under the bonnet near your oil filter.. get that changed... it only cost me 50 for the replacement part from another car... cheap fix.

in addition to the above, can anyone help me out regarding the method of changing the sender on an R33?

I have the sender and can see where the plug goes into it, just need to know how to go about changing it or whether it is best left to a mechanic. don't want oil to be spilling out all over the place if i remove it.

this is a requirement of a RWC and i kinda need this sorted this afternoon!

any help hugely appreciated.

Edited by thommo

• 2 weeks later...

Your oil pressure should fluctuate, it's not going to stay @ the one level constantly, as you rev the engine higher and the oil warms ujp the pressure will either build up or decrease...

As long as it doens't drop below 2 too often, and doesn't go over 7ish.. you should be fine..

If the oil pressure light comes on, your in serious trouble, so either get an aftermarket gauge, or just check to see if yours is working..

Makes sense what those have been saying about the fluctuation of the gauge. Mine does exactly that. Starting off slightly higher then dropping slightly to around 4 when warmed up and cruising and down to 2-3 when at idle. I'm using Motul Turbolight 4100 as many others are. Considering for normal suburban driving this fluctuation is normal and fine, in fact it would probably be more of a problem if this wasn't the case!

Also keep in mind other cars don't have oil pressure gauges so while oil pressure is important, especially for a turbocharged car, it isn't the be all and end all. Hell, my bf's car didn't even come with a tacho!