SAU Community

Turbo Conversions

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible but it will cost you lots of money to do them.

it would be easier just sell the N/A car and buy GTS25T.

but seen quite a few turboed NA skylines.

Prime example is GRACER in NZ. started as N/A R33 GTS-4. installed RB26DETT and many other mods!

cheers

Joe

yeah if u want something different do the supercharge

my car is almost finished getting a full gtst conversion, i love my car, thats why i kept it instead of selling it for a gtst

Guest neoGT-25

i was thinking of asupercharging my line :D

would be different! thats for sure... what sort of power would it make ya rekon?

would the insurence be alot?

haha would be so funny to have a supercharged skyline LOLOLOL

i was seriously thinking of supercharging my n/a... i got quotes and everything... then pulled out...

cost to buy a supercharger around 1.5k

cost to make manifold to adapt sc to engine 1.8k (including labor)

cost to make up an rb30de engine 5k (excluding labor)

cost to buy a GTR (another 10k)

so i figgered i'd rather spend the money on a GTR

the easiest supercharger to bolt on is the Toyota 1GZE SC. Its made for a 2.5L straight 6 (or was that 2.0L) the only thing you have to do is get a custom manifold fabricated. Smack on an GTR intercooler and a cold air intake and you've got a 50% power increase.

Plus you get that SC whine when you take off, and instant boost... no lag.

Turbo's are good for highend, but for lowend boost SC kill em.

The oldschool sc's were inefficient but if u can afford the 3-4k get an eaton or vortex supercharger and you'll put so much distance between you and a GTSt off the line it wouldn't be funny.

Or maybe I'll jus get a custom RB30DE engine made up, apparently that gets you around 160rwkw.

Guest neoGT-25

i want a supercharger now :)

would the insurence be high compared to a turbo and what sort of power figures could you get from it?

what in the internals and stuff would need changing?

byes :burnout:

theoretically a supercharger is healthier for your engine than a turbo charger, as there's a linear induction of air, ie. the harder your engine works, the more air is pumped into it.

Turbo's work exponentially... (hence why they're good for good top end stuff) and don't really work in unison with the engine, there's less stress at lower revs and more stress at higher revs.

Performance improvemnet you're looking at between 30%-50% improvement with about 50% guranteed if you used cold air induction and an intercooler. You won't need that unless you plan to run at around 8psi and higher.

While you're figures won't look too crash hot on the dyno sheet in rwkw, if you map it against a turbo, you'll easily notice that you're putting down more torque and kw's earlier on the run than at the top. Which basically translates to the turbo car seeing your tail lights till you hit about 120km/h at which time you should see the turbo start to cath up.

SC = instant boost, which for a street racer is just as good as owning a GTR for a good takeoff.

Guest neoGT-25

LOL... im starting to like this idea or a sc :)

hmmms... what sort of intercooler would be needed and stuff?

so there better for tourqe aye... :)

is it possible to combine both SC for low end pwr & turbo for top end and make these things work as if they're sequential TT system? 1st SC then past certain rpm turbo kicks in.

intercooler would be the same as on a turbo system. In fact some supercharger systems, look jus like a turbo system, cept they have a belt and no exahust inlet.

lol well i was seriously considering gettin a supercharged r32, but then i figgered for that much money i could just as easily buy a GTR... mmm GTR. Plus a supercharger on a pissy 2.0L isn't gonna go far, it'd chop GTSt's but just barely and sumtimes not.

HKS makes this thing called the "Twin charger" which is a supercharger/turbocharger setup for believe it or not... honda 1.8L engines.

I also came across one when i used to have my CA18DET 180sx, got chopped hardcore by this suzuki swit or sumfin (can't rememba model) but he got me by about 1 carlength, and when we pulled up at maccas in thornbury, he popped his bonnet and reveald a custome supercharger/turbocharger setup.

The HKS one is apparently controlled by a computer, whereas the suzuki was controlled mechanically by valves or sumfin.

They both go hard, but the ends don't justify the cost.