SAU Community

Bad Missfire On Boost?

ranicx

recently i have been having a bad missfire when ever i hit boost over 6psi. i tryed getting new spark plugs and gaped to 0.8mm, no change.. taped up the coil packs to try and stop them from arking out on the engine, but no change. put a heap of tape all over the coil packs, but if anything it only changed and got a little better, but still had a bad missfire.

but i found out of a mate, that there is another way to stop the coil packs from arking out and causeing a miss fire, apart from all of that and apart from using silicon, which can be realy messy. you can actualy paint pretty much all the coil pack with cheap clear nail polish.

1. pritty much its fairly simple, go to priceline or some cheap store, and buy the cheapest and gluggyest clear nail polish you can find, and get 2-3 bottles of it. i went through 1 and a half, but they where large.

make sure it is only clear and not coloured as the coloured ones do somtimes contain metalic parts i think.

2. take your coil packs out and unscrew them from the mounting racks.

post-22516-1154014242.jpg

ya can see the tape is still on them in the photo, but take it off and clean the stickyness left behind

3. to make sure that the nail polish bonds corectly with it, ya need to clean the coil packs fairly well with metho and a damp colth. use metho because it will evaporate.

4. then with the bush that came with the nail polish start brushing it on generously. but not so much that it runs off because it does need to dry still.. but also make sure that it has a desecent thickness to it as well.

i covered pritty much all of the coil pack, from up at the plug, all over the main body, all the way down the rubber boot to the edges of where it fans out like a cone.

post-22516-1154014325.jpg

5. alow them to fully dry before putting it all back together.. last thing you want to do is be pulling it all apart again because ya scratched a bit of the nail polish off.

at first i did not this this would work, but after trying everything else apart from buying new coil packs, i figured it was worth a shot, and it works.. havent had a miss fire since i did it.

keep in mind, this is just a patch up job. it wont last for ever, and will need redoing every few months.

hope this helps guys!

• 5 months later...

I used High Temp Silicone on mine. I seem to remember other people thinking the nail polish idea would not withstand the temperatures?

If it withstands temperatures and is non conductive, it should work. Would be much easier to use than the silicone if it does work.

• 1 month later...
I used High Temp Silicone on mine. I seem to remember other people thinking the nail polish idea would not withstand the temperatures?

If it withstands temperatures and is non conductive, it should work. Would be much easier to use than the silicone if it does work.

Just found this thread whilst browsing, probably dead & buried now but for the record, fellas if nail polish works short term then electric motor winding varnish may work even betterer? 3M put out a product, real sticky stuff, available from your friendly electrical supplier, (rexell, auslec etc) that sparkies use all the time when reco-ing electric motor field windings & armatures, comes in your handy spraypak, (shake well) can be a watery reddish color, takes a while to dry but is good stuff never the less.

Maybe worth a try for those that don't want to go Splitfire or to eliminate/determine if coilpaks are causing misfire problems. Can't remember temperature range (50deg C wet) but electric motors do run warm. Don't forget to mask off the bits you want to keep on conducting before spray-paking & as always, remove all oil & grease.

Just found a can of what I was waffling about (Scotch 3M 1602 - red/1603 is black) in the shed, looking at the ingredients it would pay to try a dob on a small area or an old coil first in case it attacks the coilpak coating. Could be a bit savage Acetone etc., :D

Around what?

Where mine were breaking through was from coil housing to the mounting frame that goes around and through the body of the coil.

No way that you can get normal tube heat shrink on there.

Self vulcanising tape would be a possible, but it wouldn't like the heat. There is also heatshrink tape out there, but it's too expensive.

If anyone is misfiring *BECAUSE OF BOOST* check your spark plugs gapping. Anything over stock boost you MUST gap them to 0.7 and then you will not be getting misfire. If this does not work, your coilpacks have bitten the dust and you might as well get splitfires. Slidingperformance.com does great deals on splitfires, I think they are 565 odd bucks form him delivered (Slides). Good luck.

Why spend money when you don't have to?

Closing the gap to 0.8 is usually enough, though going a little bit tighter can be an option but isn't a MUST.

Doing a bit of DIY, strapping and cleaning the coil packs, getting a nicely running machine again, without just ripping out the wallet sounds like a much better situation to me.

linky to hks drag car running std coils. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=157076

Edited by heller44

I had same problem on My car, this mod with coils was unuseless for me, i change my Fuel filter and remove catalizer and now its fine, boost is more than 8 PSi and i didnot have any modification on my R33... but car is much faster now

Some of us dont like nissansilvia.com drift-spek tempo mods to our coil-packs, so new ones or splitfires will do. Splitfires are the ultimate choice and if you have damaged coil-packs I strongly recommend them. They ARE the best descision for a long term fix IMHO.

I had same problem on My car, this mod with coils was unuseless for me, i change my Fuel filter and remove catalizer and now its fine, boost is more than 8 PSi and i didnot have any modification on my R33... but car is much faster now

What you on? :)

• 1 month later...

i had a bad missfire replaced coils put new spark plugs in and gapped them resett the ecu but noting

i grounded the black wire of the solinoid and plugged the vacume line from the exfactuator to the cooler piping nipple and the miss fire was compleatly gone its just a realy bad earth the car will run 5-6 psi of boost but a t pice or a boost controler will fix that worked for mine hasent missed fired since

• 1 month later...

Also while the coilpacks are out get some fine sand paper and remove the spring from the coil pack normally pulling should pop it out.

Gently sand both ends of the spring to remove and deposits then roll up the sand paper and sand the inside the coil pack where the spring sits. It should now change from a tarnished colour to a nice and shiny colour.

push the spring back in and replace the coil packs and not will spark a lot better.

Also addin a grounding kit will improve the sparking as well

Edited by Captain Drift

• 11 months later...

Hi guys just a quick intro as im quite inactive to the forums,

the names andee, drive an autech version 4 door series2 r33 (silver)

mods include

dish mags, 265 rubber on back wheels!!!

coil over bridgestone njp shocks

full trust exhaust (no cat) from turbo

Nizmo tv dash cluster with the epson ej1 driving computer( on screen g-force, tacho speed etc)

hybrid front mount cooler and plumbing

and strut brace under hood

THIS NAIL POLISH THING WORKS!! i been misfiring under boost for almost a year now and it comes and goes, so today i read the thread and bought the nail polish a little sceptic that it might not work, pulled em out, cleaned em up and painted the bastards, AND LOW AND BEHOLD it fixed it up, ok its a little bit missy right up top end BUT that to might just be the shit fuel i used aswell!

keep you all posted as this progresses, so far so good thou!!

Thanks Guys

andee R33 4 door

post-48887-1212296685_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

has any body tried making the metal coil mount out of a heat resistant plastic. it is the coil mounting bracket that the coils are arcing on right?

i have the same problem of misfiring and it is the biggest b**ch