SAU Community

Got A New Car Battery, Now Alarm Won't Arm

SS8_Gohan

hey y'all

i've got a thread in the security section, sorry for putting this in here as well but i won't to clear this up asap, for security reasons.

I got a new battery put in yesterday, all sweet, battery put in when car wasn't armed, just off.

Now i can't arm the alarm... it's a viper, will go into more specifics if needed later.

have i reset something with removing and replacing the battery? or do i need to reset something?

need to get is sorted asap so i'm not just using the lock/unlock on the car key.

cheers,

chinny

ive changed the battery in my car and the alarm worked fine when i put the new one in. Im running a viper aswell.. Does the alarm just ignore the remote? ie when u press lock or unluck it just beeps and comes up with the attena on your remote? There is a way to make the remote 'self learn' but its in the manual and mines gone walk about. Best bet would be to read through the manual and if worst comes to worst ring up your alarm installer.

yeah, exactly that... i'll press arm... attenna flashes and then beeps... which i always took as it's got no response from the car...

i'll have a squizz at the manual as well, aslo not sure where mine is either :teehee:

My alarm was screwed after the car had been in a container for 6 weeks. Plugged it back in over here and it never worked right. Have you looked for the owners manual or their website for reset tips?

I tried it for my Toad alarm but to no avail. Could be worth a shot though.

Exactsame thing happened to me dude. Aparently it can happen when the battery is really flat or disconnected. It seems to be a random thing tho.

All u have to do is re-program the alarm... don't stress it's easy. Look in the instruction manual, it will tell u how to do it.

You will also need to enter the PIN code which should have also been supplied.

So yea basically read the instructions and look for the "re-programming" part

hey y'all

i've got a thread in the security section, sorry for putting this in here as well but i won't to clear this up asap, for security reasons.

I got a new battery put in yesterday, all sweet, battery put in when car wasn't armed, just off.

Now i can't arm the alarm... it's a viper, will go into more specifics if needed later.

have i reset something with removing and replacing the battery? or do i need to reset something?

need to get is sorted asap so i'm not just using the lock/unlock on the car key.

cheers,

chinny

Does the thing have a back up battery that needs replacing?

Did you try jump starting it and got the cables mixed,this could have blown a fuse inside the alarm.

Did the battery run low because the alarm went off ,draining it and it's back up battery

This sometimes can be the problem, although the resetting could also be the cause.

good luck :D

i just changed the battery, but had been jump starting the car quite a lot, was still fine then.

I was in africa for a bit of june and pretty much all of July, with the car never turned on in that time.

Jumped the car when i got back to get a new battery, and that's when the alarm packed it in.

Even when i jumped the car after a month, and locked the car when i parked it outside the workshop the alarm was working then. It's definitely the change over to the new alarm that has caused the issues.

I found a thing in the manual referring to code hopping. It says that, and i quote...

"...However, if the remote has been pressed many times out of range of the vehicle, or the battery has been removed, it may fall out of sync with the control unit and fail to operate the system. To re-sync the remote simply press the lock button several times within range of the vehicle. The alarm will automatically re-sync and respond to the transmitters normally."

Now i went out tonight to do this, i pressed the lock button i don't know how many times standing right next to the car. I pressed the lock button quickly like 10 times, pressed it slowly (so it would beep at me after each press) about 5-6 times in a row, held the lock button down, everything... i 99% confident i've ruled out the 'sync' problem, because i definitely pressed the lock button several times within range of the vehicle.

I don't know if it has a backup battery.

In regards to the "programming" I found the part of the manual about it, nothing about PIN and it's just really to program the handheld unit, eg when the alarm goes off, does the remote beep or does it vibrate? Stuff like that, programming turbo timer times, etc... i found nothing about a PIN or any reference to the system not responding.

I did msg my alarm installer but haven't heard anything back from him yet. Will probably call tomorrow, i might msg Danny as well...

any other thoughts ppl's?

it's a Viper 791VX, seems like every man and his dog has one... :happy:

chinny

Unfortunately, if its the same problem i had you will have to get a new remote. I had a shitty battery and im sure you know from experience, the viper alarm sucks power like no tommorow. I had to jump start the car if i didnt use it for a day until eventually the alarm shit itself. Turned out i pressed the button to much when i was trying to arm/disarm/get anything to work and the remote shit itself. Luckily the alarm was still under warranty. But yeh.. it sounds like the remote. GL

Unfortunately, if its the same problem i had you will have to get a new remote. I had a shitty battery and im sure you know from experience, the viper alarm sucks power like no tommorow. I had to jump start the car if i didnt use it for a day until eventually the alarm shit itself. Turned out i pressed the button to much when i was trying to arm/disarm/get anything to work and the remote shit itself. Luckily the alarm was still under warranty. But yeh.. it sounds like the remote. GL

Thats what use to happen to my battery in the car...The led drew so much power when left on ....which was the case At the end i pulled the led out .

But this is not your problem......the remote works.If you cant get any answers i would say renew the thing and have the old one disconnected.

no wuckez danny :)

although i think i un-programmed it somehow? remote start doesn't work anymore? do i have to teach it again?

you need to program standard transmitter config now, don't have the info in front of me, the procedure you did to get it working again is menu item 1, the one you need to do is menu item 8 i think, eg. press valet 8 times then hold in. you really need the booklet that comes with the alarm.