SAU Community

Polishes/wax

Dodo waxes maybe UK based, have some rippers, some a pricey. Paul Dalton also has his own waxes, can't remember what they're called.

And i'd take P21s paste wax any day over anything from Meguiars, etc... P21s is about $40-$50 i believe.

Dodo waxes are good, I use Supernatural & Blue Velvet. Paul Dalton had a run in with Zymol, so now is in bed with Swissvax, and has bought out his signiture wax (Crystal Ice)

Sorry to bag Megs waxes but they are on the bottom of my list, but in saying that they have other good products.

Edited by R31Heaven

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys need some advice on product and method. It seems a cat has spent some time on my car and theres tiny lil scratches which im hoping will come out with a really good clean. What kinda products and what should I do to get at the scratches to be at least less visible.

OR

My second option is im getting a bodykit once kevins money comes so how much extra do you think it would cost to get the car touched up while there colour coding the bodykit to the car??

Hey guys need some advice on product and method. It seems a cat has spent some time on my car and theres tiny lil scratches which im hoping will come out with a really good clean. What kinda products and what should I do to get at the scratches to be at least less visible.

OR

My second option is im getting a bodykit once kevins money comes so how much extra do you think it would cost to get the car touched up while there colour coding the bodykit to the car??

Hi, I'm struggling to get out watermarks on my black paint, whats the best method to get it out?

Depending on how severe the defects are, the best bet would be to use an abrasive polish such as Prima Swirl or Driven finish restorer. Work it untill you get the desired result and then coat it with a layer of wax or sealant to protect.

These polishes will cut back the paint and level out the defects.

You have also got the option of using a filler but this is only a temorary fix and they only mask up hairline paint defects. Fillers usually only last about 2-3months.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers for the quick reply Dave, im thinking i'll clean out my carport so I can put my car in there and then get it professionally cleaned by one of the guys on SAU i'll track his number down. Might watch him so I learn a few things.

Hi, while searching for a R34, i've been using my 91' Mazda 626 as a guinea pig in my search for detailing experience

I have made the mistake of buying some initial Meguiars stuff, so to keep it consistent with their detailing process i have all of their their 5-step kit, i don't have a Random orbital so this what i normally do.

1. Wash (first time with Dawn dish soap) to rid of previous waxes etc

2. Clay with Megs. Quik Clay Kit

3. Wash (Megs. NXT wash)

4. Apply Megs. Paint Cleaner and buff off with a terry towel by hand

5. Apply Megs. Deep Crystal Polish with a Megs. hand applicator and buff off with terry towel by hand

6. Apply Megs. NXT Tech Wax 2.0 with the provided hand applicator, waited a while then buffed off with a microfiber cloth

Ok to do with this current routine, during the week the car has picked up some dirt, one bird dropping, moth died on my front bar, rained twice (i don't have a car port)

When i wash this week (NXT wash) can i just wash, dry and apply another layer of Tech Wax 2.0? Or do i have to paint clean, polish etc. ?

When i get my R34, i want to upgrade to the better products, Menzerna, Zaino, Dodo, P21, etc. What is the best combiination for these kinda products, and are the steps different to what i'm currently doing?

Also i'm currently using the 2 bucket wash method but i want to get my hands on some grit guards but not sure where i can get my hands of some?

Currently this is how i understand it (please correct if erroneous)

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. Wash

4. Cut and Polish ( can this be done without a RO? ie. by hand?)

5. Wash

6. Sealant

7. Wash

6. Wax

I was suprised that some of the better products eg. P21, OCW wax, Menzerma and even Zaino didn't really cost alot more than autoglm or meguiars so pretty keen to get onto these better brands.

What brands are best within a budget, i want to spend around 300-400 total for some higher end not-off-the-shelf kit so any suggestions are welcomed

Cheers,

Danny

Edited by squareznboxez

Hi, while searching for a R34, i've been using my 91' Mazda 626 as a guinea pig in my search for detailing experience

I have made the mistake of buying some initial Meguiars stuff, so to keep it consistent with their detailing process i have all of their their 5-step kit, i don't have a Random orbital so this what i normally do.

3. Wash (Megs. NXT wash)

5. Apply Megs. Deep Crystal Polish with a Megs. hand applicator and buff off with terry towel by hand

6. Apply Megs. NXT Tech Wax 2.0 with the provided hand applicator, waited a while then buffed off with a microfiber cloth

Ok to do with this current routine, during the week the car has picked up some dirt, one bird dropping, moth died on my front bar, rained twice (i don't have a car port)

When i wash this week (NXT wash) can i just wash, dry and apply another layer of Tech Wax 2.0? Or do i have to paint clean, polish etc. ?

When i get my R34, i want to upgrade to the better products, Menzerna, Zaino, Dodo, P21, etc. What is the best combiination for these kinda products, and are the steps different to what i'm currently doing?

Also i'm currently using the 2 bucket wash method but i want to get my hands on some grit guards but not sure where i can get my hands of some?

Looks good to me

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. Wash

4. Cut and Polish ( can this be done without a RO? ie. by hand?)For very very light swirls otherwise a buffer will be required and polishes to reflect the amount of maring

5. Wash

6. Sealant

7. Wash

6. Wax (Only if you have a dark colour, stick with just a asealant on White & Silver)

I was suprised that some of the better products eg. P21, OCW wax, Menzerma and even Zaino didn't really cost alot more than autoglm or meguiars so pretty keen to get onto these better brands.

They are all great products, Also another brand is Duragloss a very good sealant and for $24 awsome product, and around 6 months in the durability stakes

What brands are best within a budget, i want to spend around 300-400 total for some higher end not-off-the-shelf kit so any suggestions are welcomed

Zaino Z2 you cant go wrong as a sealant lasts for 12 months. A bit dearer at around the $45 but the bees knees. Waxes This is a very subjective I have become a fan of Dodo juice supernatural, but at $180 a pot can be a put off. P21 gives a great result but has durabilty issues (3 months). but if you clean and wax your car on a regular basis this is not a problem. There are lots more out there that do a great Job. Have a look at a site like Detailers Paradise will give you a good insite

Cheers,

Danny

Edited by R31Heaven

Thanks mate, exactly what i needed to know, just my first question, after doing my 5 steps, the following week i want to wash the car, can i simply wash, then slap another coat of wax? or do i have to go through all my steps again?

I ask because i only had time to put one layer of wax on that day (after the 5 steps), i wanted to put a few more on but i need to know if i have to go through all the steps of cleaning the paint before putting on the wax.

Cheers for the quick reply Dave, im thinking i'll clean out my carport so I can put my car in there and then get it professionally cleaned by one of the guys on SAU i'll track his number down. Might watch him so I learn a few things.

Are you on the Goldcoast? If so, Get in contact with Dulvari Prestige or Driven by Shine. I have seen these guys jobs first hand and I would say that they are in the group of top detailers in Oz.

Dulvari Prestige

Coolangatta

Gold Coast

QLD 4225

Australia

[email protected]

Driven By Shine Auto Detailing

Worongary

Gold Coast

QLD 4213

Australia

0402 338 245

3. Wash (Megs. NXT wash)

No you dont have to go through the whole process again. Because you already have the layer of protection on it you can just give it a wash then layer it with another coat of wax for added protection. Meguiars waxes usually only tends to last about 6-8 weeks before needing to be reapplied.

Steps would be very similar but it all depends on the condition of your paint. ie, if it has swirls or oxidation that you want to remove then you will need to get some abrasive polishes such as Menz po203s, 106ff, Prima Swirl, Finish and so on. I would highly recommend getting a RO as it will help achieve better results and its faster than doing it by hand..

I think only Wax It hold these at the moment. Get in contact with Dave there and he should be able to help you out.

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. Wash a rinse and dry will do

4. Cut and Polish ( can this be done without a RO? ie. by hand?) better results by machine

5. Wash

6. Sealant

7. Wash

6. Wax

Sealants and waxes are known as "last Step Products"(LSP) these are applied once all the prepping and washing is done. It is the icing on the cake that locks in the finish. You can layer the product if you wish to add extra protection and shine.

What you will find is that even though these products do cost a little more it lastes alot longer than your off the shelf gear at Supercheap and Autobahn. These retailers only sell products which only lasts a short period of time so the customer keeps coming back. Thats how they make their money.

I use these boutique products day in day out and when used correctly it will last you ages.

If you want an all round brand which has something for everything then Id recommend the Prima range.

http://www.primacarcare.com.au/ I can hook you up if you are after these products.

Cheers,

Danny

Thanks mate, exactly what i needed to know, just my first question, after doing my 5 steps, the following week i want to wash the car, can i simply wash, then slap another coat of wax? or do i have to go through all my steps again?

I ask because i only had time to put one layer of wax on that day (after the 5 steps), i wanted to put a few more on but i need to know if i have to go through all the steps of cleaning the paint before putting on the wax.

Nope after the first coat of wax is layered I wait for 1 hour then wipe down with Distilled water in a spray bottle and MF cloth then put another layer down, . If im doing a 3 layer wax or sealant I will wait over night before putting down the third layer,If you have time the ultimate way to lay Sealant is to let 24hrs between layers, but I have good results with my method and because it may have picked up contemnants over night I will re-wash and lay the last coat of LSP being either Wax or Sealant. My cars Black so I have 3 coats of Sealant & 3 Wax and top the Wax every 3 months only because I like to ;) and keep it shiny in between with a quick detailer after every wash. I Glaze monthly to keep any light marks I may have put in it during that time. This is my yearly Raegime (Spelling)

1. Polish every 12 months (Menzerna)

2. Sealant every 12 months (Zaino Z2)

3. Wax every 3-4 months Dodo juice supernatural

4. Glaze Monthly (CG Ez Creme)

5. Quick detailer after every wash (CG Speed wipe)

Edited by R31Heaven

Thanks a heap guys, i think one of the major flaws in the Meguiars range is that the sealant is in the wax itself, i've been finding that for the better brands, sealant are usually on their own or with a polish and the wax is just on its own.

I read a bit about "Glazing" what is it? and where does it fall in the process of detailing?

Should i ever get my car, (finding one in Japan), i'll need a whole new wardrobe of products as what i've got now is really mediocre, but since my 626 is white it doesn't look heaps bad.

Thanks again guys for your help, i got a long way to go lol

Danny

Edited by squareznboxez

Thought id share my knowledge in an ever extensive thread of tips n tricks, hits n misses.

PAINT

Ive been washing with dawn detergent first, then into shed for

-meguires paint cleaner

-meguires deep crystal polish

-then wax off with mothers carnauba wax

After reading and hearing much about claying im gettin keen to give it a crack instead of paint cleaner. There's no doubt its the best when done right, im just scared i'll stuff it up...

Where my efforts go is usually in between waxes and polishings. I wash regularly (once a week, sometimes fortnightly if im slack) and garage is a must. I try not to park near tree's during the day to avoid birds n that, i tryn keep her away from heavy dust sources like coal plants and refineries where i can help it. If it gets wet i dont fuss but i tryn hose it if its a bad road grimy day before i garage it.

But my biggy is when i wash it. I wash once with a normal wash like mothers (the gentle one that doesnt hurt wax), then follow up by washing again with a clean sponge or mit and clean water with high sudsed wash n wax (carnauba based).

Then i chamois down with meguires chamois and microfibre cloth the windows & trims, chamois down (with another cheaper one) the door & boot jams.

CHROME, STAINLESS & ALLOY

Autosol is ok for the first few polishes to get the shine going, but it just dies in the arse soon as it gets wet so i dont continue using it once i get the mirror up.

I use what the truckies have been using for years. California Customs PURPLE polish. It locks in the shine and holds it even when it gets wet for almost 3 times longer than autosol. Means im never scared to go out on a wet day.

I also have the acid prep in the same brand for recovering dull or scaley alloy. Its not usually needed but when starting out its a great start.

CLEAR PLASTICS, GLASS & CLEAR COATED CARBON FIBRE

same brand again (Callifornia Customs), a product called M-RonGlass. very light polish that takes plastics and glass back without abrasive swirling. Hopefully it'll work on those headlights of mine (with the oily film they seem to get????)

TRIMS

Meguires shine is my choice. Its not a bad smell, its a classy shine, not a black shoe polish look, and its hard wearing once you've gone a few times.

TYRES

Eagle one with wipes or meguires hot shine. Dont like foams these days coz they just burn through your pocket faster than you can say "can i have another can!"

Hope some of it helps someone.

Edited by TR11KY

• 1 month later...

what do you guys think of turtle wax?

I don't have a great deal of time, but every now and again I do a wash with the ice wash, then with the ice polish (not the liquid one). The results are pretty nice, but i am noticing some swirls now after some time and the hood feels a bit rough when i buff it with a microfibre cloth.

My cars a dark navy blue r34 gt btw, 1998, still the same paint job, so about 10 - 11 years old.

also, just looking at this post, i've noticed alot of people have around 5 steps + when they clean... is a wash and polish good enough?

Mate you wanna stay away from brands like armour all an turtle wax, they are just no good. Ill start with the swirling on your car, 99% of swirls are induced by your washing method, grit gets stuck onto your sponge/mitt and you're basically scratching your car as you wash.

Before you do anything, hose your car down excessively to get any excess dirt and soften the grit that stays on the car. I suggest you use a 2 bucket method, one with plain warm water (warm because it will release the grit from your mitt much easier than cold) to rinse your mitt and one with your car wash solution.

With the mitt, flip sides to prevent spreading the grit, wash from top to bottom; 1. roof, bonnet, sides and rear, rinse in the warm water after each side.

Since you've got a nice car invest in some good products, you can get mediocre products like Meguiars, AutoGlym and Mothers (the better of the 3) from Supercheap and Autobarn.

But if you really want good results, order some good brands from www.waxit.com.au (QLD), www.finalinspection.com.au (VIC) and carcareproducts.com.au (NSW), they have proper products for similar prices which last much longer than the commercial stuff off the shelf

Wash, polish and wax is OK, but there is a whole world of better above that. Just have a browse through this topic to get some ideas of what to get for a decent price

Here's a demo video from the head of demonstrations at Meguiars on how to wash your car safely

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=75...owcargarage.com

All the best matey,

Danny

Edited by squareznboxez

nice! cheers mate

gonna head down to supercheap auto to pick up some of the stuff in that vid =D

will definitely check out the sites too.

hey guys, this is what i did last time i cleaned my car, got pretty nice results, i know there's still alot more i can do, but this was pretty quick and got nice results

1. rinse well

2. washed with turtle wax ice wash (i know this isn't that great, but I have a whole big bottle and don't really want to waste it, and it works ok) (also used the 2 bucket method)

3. polished with turtle wax ice polish (again, not so great, but don't want to waste it)

4. waxed with meguiars tech wax 2

5. cleaned windows with meguiars nxt glass cleaner, since my windows were getting dirty and fogging up alot, they look great now :D

you can get all this stuff from supercheap auto, repco and other similar shops would probably have it too, but gotta say thumbs up to tech wax, love that stuff.

I see that a lot of what I've read so far is in the context of using various Meguiar's or Mother products, I need some advice re Autoglym (because all of my car cleaning stuff is that brand!)

I also have to say that i'd not heard of using a clay bar before reading this thread, I think I'll definitely have to invest in one!

I wash my car once a week with Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, then chamois, then once a month I use Autoglym Deep Shine Polish (Previously Super Resin Polish). Now from what I read on the back of the bottle, it sounds like it is a wax and polish in one? Or would i be better off only polishing once a year like mentioned earlier and buying some sort of Carnuba type wax to use on my weekly wash? Sometimes i wash it a second time if it gets rained on during the week, albeit just a pressure wash and pressure wax with distilled water and a chamois to finish.

When i polished it this week, I noticed that a lot of the roughness on the paint had gone, but there were some visible swirlmarks, which I put down to me only having one microfibre cloth to buff with.

Amidoinitrite?