SAU Community

Installing Extractors To An R33

Help required,

I've been thinking long and hard on installing extractors to my R33 and require some advise as to how to install them and will I get any power increase. Currently I'm running standard Turbo with 10lb boost, front mount Intercooler, Jaycar air and fuel adjuster, Dump pipe, Turbo back 3inch exhaust.

I have searched high and low on the DIY and found very little info. Any hints or help appreciated on how to install the extractors or should I get a professional to do the job.

You can do it yourself.

I personally have not done this by myself, so you might not want to listen to everything i say. But i have helped a friend do it.

Depending on your mechanical abiltiy, it's not actually hard to do.

All the intake piping and stuff all over the place comes off.

The most difficult thing about removing the manifold is that the bolts will be very tight and in hard to reach places. You will most likely break bolts.

Also, you might not be able to get the stock manifold back on after you take it off, because it might have warped.

dont bother doing it if you're sticking with the stock or hi-flow stock turbo.

if you are going to do it anyway i'd definatley get ALL of your manifold studs replaced, if they dont break now, they will later. when i took my exhaust manifold off i snapped around 6 studs and replaced all of them. nissan sell the studs pretty cheap. you'll get the full set of 12 for under $20, it'll be around the $12 mark if you're an SAU member.

anyways, dont do it if you're looking for big gains on the stock turbo. the money can be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks guys for your replies,

Unfortunately, I have bought the extractors and I will go through to put them on. However, I might get an exhaust place after hearing what you guys had to say, do I need the added stress.

Also in the near future I will be upgrading to a larger turbo so I thought of getting extractors.

All comments appreciated.

Chris G, Sydney :sorcerer:

dont bother doing it if you're sticking with the stock or hi-flow stock turbo.

if you are going to do it anyway i'd definatley get ALL of your manifold studs replaced, if they dont break now, they will later. when i took my exhaust manifold off i snapped around 6 studs and replaced all of them. nissan sell the studs pretty cheap. you'll get the full set of 12 for under $20, it'll be around the $12 mark if you're an SAU member.

anyways, dont do it if you're looking for big gains on the stock turbo. the money can be better spent elsewhere.

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you replace the studs, I had a look at the engine bay and I just can't fit anything on the side, replacing the stock manifold is a big task but the studs now I'm really concerned so I rung around a few exhaust places in Sydney and they quoted from $350 to $200 to install. One place told me no matter how much you spend $1000 to $100 for the manifold they all crack within 12 months and you would probably get an extra 10kwts of power.

I'm just waiting to get it delivered and then I will decide to go through with it or re sell it for a loss.

Thanks again

Chris

Guest 40th-edition

thats bull about the extractors cracking...

if u buy quality extractors than they should last!

With the studs they will just screw out of the head.. may be tight though

I agree with you, but this guy who I won't name claims he does expensive cars and manifolds, no matter how expensive or cheap they are will crack within 12months and he guaranteed me it would happen. Driving like grandpa or unleashing hell pedal to the metal, the amount of heat generated by the turbo will eventually crack the pipes were the joints are welded.

What come back do I have.

Maybe others may want to put their 20c worth about expensive or cheap manifolds.

CG

:laugh::3some::whistling:

no its not I have seen it a few times...if the manifold doesn't sit flat some doods just tighten up the bolts and hope the slack will be taken up in the gasket - bad idea...u get some stress in unwanted spots...then it cracks under the heat over time.

Edited by khunjeng

Update,

I received the manifold and took it to the manifold place and he laughed, he asked if I had an extra $1000 to install a top mount manifold because I would need new exhaust, oil and water lines to the turbo and it would be a head ache to install.

He told me the manifold I have is ample so I re- sold the manifold at a loss, I’m not going down that path again.

I saw my mechanic who took my car for a drive and adjusted the Jaycar fuel and air adjuster by road tunning the car, it goes allot better than before. Now all I need is a fuel cut defender so i can increase my boost.

The skyline screams.

Thank guys for your input. :sorcerer: :(:D:yes::(:):):laugh: