SAU Community

Been Accepted To Japan!

konect

Hey all

Seems I have been accepted to teach english in Japan. I have to decide by the end of today (long story) whether I want to go or not.

I have read the other threads and it seems that most people who have gone did not regret it. ATM my plan is to go over and work/see japan/send parts back for my ceffy rather than 'living the dream' and buying a personal import.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks.

I got a friend working there at the moment. He went on the teaching tour as well. Did that for 4 weeks or something - hated it with a passion. Then he got an IT job earning 4 million yen a year. Sound big huh, but it works out to be something like $50k Aussie.

He says that life there is very very different, and that there is a lot to experience, but the downside is that when you first to, you dont really know anyone so it can get a bit lonely/boring.

it certainly helps but you can get by with no skills at first.and just being here you will pick up the basics very quickly

Yeh, no Japanese 'required' although it would be nice. Hoping to pick up enough to get me through daily life pretty quickly.

Also I would prefer Osaka as a mate of mine just went to this area about 2 weeks ago and a couple of mates mates live there.

Edited by konect

sounds like you have been accepted by Nova. is this correct?

You dont need any japanese skill to teach english for nova / but if your going to teach the kids you certainly do. Nova is a shit company, good pay(for the work you do) but the company dont give 2 shits about their employees .

Also I advise you to try not to get caught up in the langauge school circle of friends. Where you only hang out with people you work with. If you want to learn the langauge go find some good japanese friends

Edited by akeenan

sounds like you have been accepted by Nova. is this correct?

You dont need any japanese skill to teach english for nova / but if your going to teach the kids you certainly do. Nova is a shit company, good pay(for the work you do) but the company dont give 2 shits about their employees .

Also I advise you to try not to get caught up in the langauge school circle of friends. Where you only hang out with people you work with. If you want to learn the langauge go find some good japanese friends

Yep NoVAcation for me :)

Where do you suggest is the best place to meet people if you dont speak the language? I was thinking clubs and things might make it a bit difficult due to the noise and language.

the only language you need at a club is BODY LANGUAGE

unless your talking clubs as in after school clubs...

lol body language indeed :D

And akeenan a mate of mine just went over so I would say that there are a whole bunch coming atm. Apparently they are desperate for people.

Edited by konect

oh yes .. they are very desperate. Many people have quit recently. And there are many teachers who want to change their hours/ location but couldnt because there was a major shortage in instructors. Its also good for the students... to get some fresh lessons

Whats the site/contact for this place?

Have they told you what hours, pay, age group you'll be teaching and location yet?

DON'T APPLY through AACE

After changing all my plans to go I have 'actually' been rejected. The long story I spoke of in the beginning went a little like this:

1. Went for the interview, received rejection letter and made plans to move into a house with some other people in Melb.

2. Get a follow up letter saying I actually was offered a position, so I ring them and they say "YES, sorry for the mix up we will send you out the forms. So I change all my plans and miss out on the house.

3. THEN today I get an email saying they were correct the first time and they cannot offer me a position.

What a stupid company! I sent an email back saying the rumours are true that Nova doesn't care about its teachers. Going to complain to the highest level I can :)

if you want to go to Japan just go. make sure you have a degree though.

I sent an email back saying the rumours are true that Nova doesn't care about its teachers.

AACE is not NOVA. They are a recruiting company that recruit for NOVA.

If you want to go then "damn the torpedoes" and go! It is a weird place but I loved it when I taught there many many years ago. I hated it too! Can be lonely and Japanese friendships imo are superficial unless there is something in it for them, i.e. free Engrish ressons. BUT it is still an awesome place if you love:

Cars

Girls with no ass or tits

Wacky food

The latest technology

Living in the home Neuromancer and Orwell’s 1984

Cheers and good ruck

AACE is full of the kind of people that are Nova lifers, it is a good experience to prepare you.

Nova is currently busy fscking up my visa I have sent the forms for thrice!

If I don't get my visa I will stab people... actually even if I do I will.

Japanese people are not good friends but they make good pets and silicon fixes the breast thing.