SAU Community

Foxtel incar on tft ?

Guest Turbo1

Guest Turbo1

Does anyone know if it is possible to receive foxtel incar on a tft screen ? Next car I want to deck with a sony 7" tft display and dvd stacker unit or similar ... The big question is, if I have inputs for normal tv as such, would it be possible to get a humax or foxtel satellite tv box put in the car to receive pay tv ?

Obviously need a sat receiver, so would a satnav box do the trick ? I have heard this has been done in a bmw which has satnav as standard, but i know that a normal foxtel at home needs to be directed and positioned at a certain angle ...

Trick idea watching channel v or mtv on way to work on tft screen, alternative to this is to simply burn dvd's of music videos etc using normal standalone dvd burner recording foxtel which seems a whole lot easier, but just not as cool ...

feedback appreciated ...

i think satnav satellites are a lot closer to earth so its easier to pick up on the move... the broadcast ones are a bit higher... they're all in the earth's gravity so i'm sure that if you tuned your satellite dish onto one of em, it'd stay that way.

If you could get foxtel in the car why would you bother getting out of your 'Line at all? :D

A mobile divx/mp3/mame enabled small pc would be a lot more fun and give you a much wider range of cool stuff you could do I reckon. Having a library of music clips on demand would be pretty damn cool.

No way dude.

You would have to have your dish constantly adjusting for changes in all axes. Oh, you knew you needed a dish right? The GPS/satnav satellites are all LEO (low earth orbit) thingos, (pls correct me if i'm wrong, sat nurdz), and you don't need to be facing a certain way to receive the signal.

Sat TV satellites are about 38,000km's up. Need to be WAY more accurate.

In short, I would LOVE to see you succeed but i dunno how you'll go unless you use the dish as a wing and only ever drive one way.

Sorry :D

I am a semi sat nerd... you would need the dish to be always pointing to the horizon. I also dont think the size of the dish would be that trendy on the back of your car. I would suggest that digital TV would be as fancy as you could go, it would also give you better reception.

A mobile divx/mp3/mame enabled small pc would be a lot more fun and give you a much wider range of cool stuff you could do I reckon.

Step 1: Get an XBOX

Step 2: Get it chipped

Step 3: Get the HDD upsized and updated

Step 4: Play DVD, VCD, SVCD, MP3, JPEG, MPEG, AVI, DIVX, ETC ETC ETC...

Solved!

Yeah but i'm thinking why not have wireless net access and you could set it up so your pc at home could encode / stream the foxtel signal over the net so you could pick it up in the car. :D

Now that'd be a cool project if you could get it working and had $$$$ - imagine the data download charges hehe

I am a semi sat nerd... you would need the dish to be always pointing to the horizon.

:confused:

It would face different ways depending on where you were in the country/world and would be wrecked by buildings etc. Also, the minimum dish size you could use would be about 50cm!

I do like the streaming wireless idea though. But i think if you wanted any sort of decent range you'd have to have a transmitter that would be both illegal as well as dangerous! Would cook your dog while you were out driving around!

I suppose the only real way you could do it is if you intended on doing a lot of cruises or outdoor car-show & shines etc. Then you could stake the dish into the ground! :D

Adrian

Guest Turbo1

Thanks for the comments guys ... Sounded a bit too good to be true :-( I think the next project I'll do would be a nice 7" in dash tft matched up to a dvd player or stacker .... Already got a dvd-rw unit at home, can record plenty of funky clips, movies etc using it, works a treat - especially since dvd-r discs are now $2 each or so, $3 or so for dvd-rw .... The x-box idea - Yeah, definately a ripper and yes, prob the best solution of all :-)

maybe you should wait for technology to catch up with your imagination/vision. Coz it would be sweet to have it in you car, all you would need to do is work out how to put a shower in the back seat and you would never have to leave the car. Maccas drive through can be your kitchen :P