SAU Community

Blow Off Valve / Premium Unleaded

SKYS2

hey everyone , im new to the site , iv just purchased a new skyline r33 96 series 2 . i have some questions since i dont know much about turbod cars .

1/ is it a must to use premium unleaded?

2/ how much am i looking at a BOV + install? a decent one , roughly how long would it take to install?

3/ are there any on the market with several sounds in one? , im sure iv read about one ,..

anyway thanks , cheers

to answer your question,

premium is a must for turbo cars, never think 'stuff it i'll just put regular in'

could be the differnece between your car having a good life and your car dieing not long after you fill the tank with regular(considering why you bought the car in the first place ie blow of valve)

there is ample blow of valves available on the market these days. go fast bits have a blow of valve where you can adjust the volume of the sound the blowofvalve makes from inside your car.

have a look around do some googleing and some searches on this site and learn a little more about you car.

the search button is your best friend.

my 2 cents

the one that you can alter the sound is the GFB stealth, or their new one, the interceptor. the interceptor has an in-car adjuster. the only way that they change sounds is by being adjustable between atmo, plumback and various spots in between.

lol for one thing i didnt buy this car for the bov , but i wouldnt mind one .

ToF : are you saying its unsafe to buy another bov and replace the stock if the car is running stock boost? ,..

stupid question - bovs dont emit any power do they ?

all bovs do is vent air when you lift off the accelerator.

it isn't unsafe to change it, it just won't make much difference. if you do get a new bov, make sure you adjust the spring tension tight so that it doesn't leak at idle.

Edited by mad082

BOV's don't emit any power, they just release the pressure built up by the turbo. also, as outlined above any of the louder bovs are illegal as they are not plumback types. it isn't "unsafe" just unneccesary to replace the stock bov on your car as it is rated to 1.5bar (~22 psi) correct me if im wrong...

stick to stock bov dude. If you go atmo you will uncover problems such as overfuelling which leads to back fires,stalling and with me i had idle hunt probs and the car actually felt weaker and not so powerful could of been because its running mega rich. As soon as I put the stocker back everything was good.

Edited by LatinR33

Yeah if you want sound get a pod installed. It wont be the same kinda noise but it will be noise nonetheless. Crappy thing is you will probs suffer performance wise as the pod will be sucking in hot air so could be a good idea to heatshield or box it but then you may get rid of the sound.

stick to stock bov dude. If you go atmo you will uncover problems such as overfuelling which leads to back fires,stalling and with me i had idle hunt probs and the car actually felt weaker and not so powerful could of been because its running mega rich.

thats a bit of a myth. the car doesn't run rich all of the time when you have an atmo bov. they only run rich for a VERY short amount of time on gear changes and lift off. and my mates with atmo bovs solved their stalling problems with a new set of plugs. and i had them with the stock bov, and again, new plugs fixed that too.

Yeah if you want sound get a pod installed. It wont be the same kinda noise but it will be noise nonetheless. Crappy thing is you will probs suffer performance wise as the pod will be sucking in hot air so could be a good idea to heatshield or box it but then you may get rid of the sound.

the performance loss from running an unshielded pod is small. the air is heated by the act of being compressed by the turbo, then is cooled by the intercooler before it goes into the motor.

its a myth that having a atmo blow off valve will cause you to stall or run rich???? Im sure alot of people would disagree with that not to mention the tonnes of atmo bov's cause problem threads. Im not arguing just think saying that its a myth is sending the wrong message.

thats a bit of a myth. the car doesn't run rich all of the time when you have an atmo bov. they only run rich for a VERY short amount of time on gear changes and lift off. and my mates with atmo bovs solved their stalling problems with a new set of plugs. and i had them with the stock bov, and again, new plugs fixed that too.

Its not a myth at all. Its dependant on driving style mainly, but is still an issue.

How many threads a week do you see about "stalling" "backfiring" etc etc.

Its because people change from the stock BOV.

SKYS2 - dont change from the stock BOV.

If you want more noise, wind down your window and gobble like a the sphincter of the universe or blow on a whistle each time you change gears.

It'll have the same effect... ie... getting those 15yr old chicks to look at you.

not saying it isn't a problem, but a lot of people seem to imply that the car runs rich all the time due to the atmo bov, but this isn't true.

and for all the people that do have stalling issues, there are just as many that don't. i know more people with 33's with atmo bovs than with stock, and none of the ones with atmo bovs have any stalling issues. backfiring yes, but stalling no. i get backfiring with my stock bov on gearchanges though.

Edited by mad082

hahahaha , thanks for all the tips though guys , i think ill actually leave the bov for now . but yeah i was already goin to buy a pod filter and install that , and heatshield it too , . i had installed one in my old car .

got a question though , can i just buy the pod and attatch it to the stock air box piping? , without new piping or extension? ....

how many kws am i lookin at gaining with the skyline , by adding a pod?... is there more responce with turbod cars ?...

whats a good brand , i had a k and n before , want something different this time , oe of the smaller round half sphere ones ... , something smaller to hide just in case i get pulled over n checked up ,