SAU Community

Hot Spark Plugs?

Rissole

Theres lots of posts about spark plugs on here but ive got a question.. :D

R33 gtst usual mods standard turbo..

Re-moved "iridium nismo 8" spark plugs from car (god knows what these are? 0.8 gap?)

Put in NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11, gapped to 0.8 (i know you're not supposed to gap iridiums).

I wanted to put in BKR6EIX, but id allready bought the BKR5EIX.

Running with the BKR5EIX 's the engine wasnt even coming onto boost it was just pinging and spluttering everywhere.. with low down torque not really there either..

I put the Old iridium nismo 8 plugs back in and all is now good and back to normal..

So im guessing the Iridium BKR5EIX (5 heat rating) is too hotter a plug?

I know i should have the 6 heat range, BKR6EIX, for the kind of mods i have, but would the 5 really do this kind of thing to the performance of my 33?

Any feedback would be great.

Looks like ive just wasted $100 on the damn wrong heat range sprakies.. :( , Dumbass.

Theres lots of posts about spark plugs on here but ive got a question.. :nuke:

R33 gtst usual mods standard turbo..

Re-moved "iridium nismo 8" spark plugs from car (god knows what these are? 0.8 gap?)

Put in NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11, gapped to 0.8 (i know you're not supposed to gap iridiums).

I wanted to put in BKR6EIX, but id allready bought the BKR5EIX.

Running with the BKR5EIX 's the engine wasnt even coming onto boost it was just pinging and spluttering everywhere.. with low down torque not really there either..

I put the Old iridium nismo 8 plugs back in and all is now good and back to normal..

So im guessing the Iridium BKR5EIX (5 heat rating) is too hotter a plug?

I know i should have the 6 heat range, BKR6EIX, for the kind of mods i have, but would the 5 really do this kind of thing to the performance of my 33?

Any feedback would be great.

Looks like ive just wasted $100 on the damn wrong heat range sprakies.. :) , Dumbass.

Yah think you have got yourself some hot plugs, put it ip in ebay and sell at half the cost. At least you can recover something back.

you can't go past the plugs with the code BCPR6ES. they are only copper and are about $3 each (better than about $20 each for iridiums). i've had mine in for about 10,000kms at between 12 and 14psi and they haven't missed a beat. it had iridiums in there and they were dead after 20,000ks. i'm going to change them again at the next oil change (at $24 a set, why not)

but a guy i know put platinum plugs in (heat range 5) and it pings like a bitch, and pops and farts. he took me for a spin in it last night, but he wouldn't listen when i told him his plugs where wrong (1 of those know-it-all types).

you can't go past the plugs with the code BCPR6ES. they are only copper and are about $3 each (better than about $20 each for iridiums). i've had mine in for about 10,000kms at between 12 and 14psi and they haven't missed a beat. it had iridiums in there and they were dead after 20,000ks. i'm going to change them again at the next oil change (at $24 a set, why not)

but a guy i know put platinum plugs in (heat range 5) and it pings like a bitch, and pops and farts. he took me for a spin in it last night, but he wouldn't listen when i told him his plugs where wrong (1 of those know-it-all types).

Sometime cheap is not necessary bad and expensive is not necessary good. The key is to choose the correct form, fit and function that cater to your engine. The BCP6ES are without the V groove, choose the BKR6E-11 (gap down when necessary) which cost around there too.

It all depends on the mods you have.

a mildly modded car shouldn't have major issues running a 5 as they are the stock replacement plug.

A 6 heat range plug is a good move with more boost up to about 1.1bar/16psi. bcpr6es/bkr6es is .8 copper out of the box, bcpr6e or bk.. is the v groove option.

A 7 over that up to low 20psi

I'd start with a 6 bcpr6es as they are cheap enough. If no good then make a few enquiries about the nismo plugs and try a copper 7.

cheers fellas..

Yeh ill try the bcpr6es hopefully the 6 heat range is better. didnt realise a 5 heat range would be so S!@T

I might even keep the old nismo 8 iridiums in there and just clean them gently..

Ive got the old typical coilpack hairline cracks too, might fix them up as ill probably need too one day anyway..

thanks for the confirmation about the plugs.

Lata.

hey i am more or less going through the same thing i have been using 7es in my 33 and have had no real problems went to enquire about iridiums and could get them for about $18.oo each and the same for platiniums but could not get them in 7,s ended back with old faithful bcp7es for grand total of $21.00 ,cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know if this has been said but you can't compare all plugs by their number e.g. 5 or 6 as some plug manufacturers hotter and colder plugs ranges move in opposite directions.

yeh cheers, i know, i was just talking about ngk's.

ill be going the $21 option too.. ;)

mine was missing on boost...heat shrinked my coils and gapped my plugs at 0.8 that fixed it...then turned the boost up to around 12psi and it started missing again so i went for the bcpr7es gapped at 0.8 and everytihing is now sweet! id definatly recomend going for the 7...+ it costs like 24 bux!

i'm using the bcpr6es and i'm running 14psi with stock coils. they pop and fart on the very odd occasion, but they are about 7000km old. i'm going to go to the 7 heat range on the new plugs, just to get the heat down.

i'm using the bcpr6es and i'm running 14psi with stock coils. they pop and fart on the very odd occasion, but they are about 7000km old. i'm going to go to the 7 heat range on the new plugs, just to get the heat down.

Remember to check your colder plug for fouling...

NGK FAQ

You can't go wrong with the BCPR6ES plugs. I had a set of splitfire plugs in mine which cost around the $20 a plug mark. They lasted all of 3 weeks before they started missing. Then the car sat for 2 weeks in the spray shop and i went to pick it up and it wouldn't start!

A trip down to Autobarn and 6 x BCPR6ES later and they haven't missed a beat. This was in October last year as well so they're probably due for a change! :P