SAU Community

Have I been ripped off? (100k Service)

2fardown

My car received its 100,000klm service the other day and I'm just worried that I am being ripped off. How much should I be paying for the individual parts he has changed? Your responses are appreciated.

EDIT: The total cost of the service was $1097.80

Items changed include:

Timing Belt -

Idler Bearing -

Tensioner Bearing -

Crank & Cam seals -

Water Pump -

Thermostat -

Top & Bottom Radiator Hoses -

Coolant -

I have attached a copy of the invoice he gave me for your perusal.

yeah, thats about standard for most cars, and most cars need a 100,000km service of some type - so its probably not way too over the top.

That includes a fair vital things such as water pump, and timing chain... it probably is fair

just for reference my 100k service cost

$650

spark plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, oil changed, timing belt, coolant, pipes checked

where yours cost so much would be the water pump and all the other parts that were changed in your service. did they really need to be changed??? ask yourself that.

they used cheap oil, and coolant so watch that

Originally posted by skyzerr33

timing belt is only $100 from nissan.

they didn't even do the gearbox and diff oil change but that usually gets done at 80k service

Yeah the gearbox was recond under warranty last month and all fluids changed at 80,000kms.

I suppose I didn't have to get the water pump changed but I thought that gets changed at a 100k service?

I suppose I didn't have to get the water pump changed but I thought that gets changed at a 100k service?

Depends on your water pump. Mine decided to retire at about 100,003kms, and hence my car went for service.

All up, I had engine oil & filter, spark plugs, water pump, timing belt, cam seals, crank seal, coolant & water, air filter, and a new radiator hose, all up parts and labour came to $820

An ordinary car can also rack up similar 90,000/100,000km bills.

My mum's Magna just had a $1,262 90,000km service.

Water pump, brake pads, timing belt, cam cover seals.... usual lubes.

I haven't had my 33 done yet but I am dreading the cost.

Hopefully I can do enough small repairs up to the big service (ie. timing belts, box/diff oil etc.)

T.

yeah, well labour costs in the mechanical industry are ludicrous - parts are the cheap part. But anyway.. you're lucky!

I already saved probably hundreds just doing what I can myself each time.

Thats a pretty good price, the tensioner bearings etc for the timing belt are pretty expensive. The water pump definately needs to be changed as well. Also new radiator hoses from nissan are about $50 each as well. Better to spend a little extra then the chances are you wont have any trouble for the next 100,000km if the regular stuff is performed.

why not do yourself what you can and then get the mechanic to change what you can't - save yourself $$$ and you know exactly what goes in and how much it really costs rather than just what they have told you.

i have a mechanic which i only go to if i can't do it myself (but he's a friend and does it cheap anway!)

Labour at $180 seems pretty cheap to me considering what they did, that's only about 2 or 3 hours work. The parts cost though I've got no idea.

Do the idler and tension bearings really need to be changed? Even though my timing belt was done at about 80k, I'm wondering if at the 100k I should also do the bearings.

If he's a good friend of your dad's then I doubt he'd rip you off on the parts if he did a good price on the labour. The bearings and seals must have cost the most. Timing belt, 2 hoses and thermostat shouldn't cost more than $250 or so combined.

I'd be a bit worried about that oil though, if he's used standard pricing on that like most other workshops do you'll find that he's probably put in something inferior to the GTX2 you can buy in Woolies. If however he's charged as if you bought it from Auto 1 or the like then it'll be a high grade mineral oil or an average grade semi or full synth. Try to find out what he's put in exactly.