SAU Community

Rip Off Merchant Mechanic

Hybrid33GTST

ok well my mate today went to one the local guys near ipswich... they want 1200 dollars for a timing belt change + tensioners ... saying 13 hours work to get it done....

i personally believe this is a rip off and am not willing to pay that much for such a simple fix... can do engine transplant in that amount of time!!

anyone got a phone number of someone who will NOT rip me off?

charlies motors in by the gabba awesome on skylines did mine wile ago much cheeper than that

think around 500 with gates belt

as for idler and tensioner dont get from nissan way to exe do a search on here u can get them from bearing shop for like $100 for the two

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=130753

Take ya pick...

Any import mechanic will be fine... Their all gonna charge about $450 inc labour...

some ppl jack up the price bcoz they dont want the job in the first place, believe it or not there are mechanics out there who do not like working on imports bcoz they seem to think they are trouble and bcoz they cant just ring there local repco store and get the parts delivered within the hour...that is why usually. its they dont have the knowledge to get the parts.

some ppl jack up the price bcoz they dont want the job in the first place, believe it or not there are mechanics out there who do not like working on imports bcoz they seem to think they are trouble and bcoz they cant just ring there local repco store and get the parts delivered within the hour...that is why usually. its they dont have the knowledge to get the parts.

its not always about knowledge of parts, etc. sometimes they know its a crap job and don't really want to do because it is just such a pain. so they quote you extra. my best mate is a mechanic, so i know how much crap goes on.

I'm getting my timing belt done today at a workshop in Darra. I'll post back when it's done with details.

I got my timing belt and water pump done today. I supplied all the parts required (belt, tensioner, idler, and cam seals) apart from the water pump. So cost for labour and water pump came to $562.

It certainly didn't take 13 hours. Labour was only 5 hours for me.