SAU Community

Vg30 Turbo

Can any one help me i have been told that the vg30 turbo off the single turbo 300zx will fit on to the RB25 det neo and that its a good upgrade for a bit more power. Has any one done this or no any one that has and are thay happy with it.

Thanks Ryan

I'd say that getting a Sliding Performance high-flow or a Sydneykid group buy GCG high-flow would be a better choice.

But as far as I know , they are slightly larger than the RB25 ones and bolt up with minimal, if any modifications.

Can any one help me i have been told that the vg30 turbo off the single turbo 300zx will fit on to the RB25 det neo and that its a good upgrade for a bit more power. Has any one done this or no any one that has and are thay happy with it.

Thanks Ryan

One answer... No. :mad:

If you run the turbo off a 300zx you will have to change dump pipes etc.

If you were to run a turbo off the later model VG30DET's from the Leopars/Cima's etc then you don't have to change anything; but the turbo's are not matched with 'performance' in mind. The run nothing more than an RB20DET turbo's guts with larger turbine and comp housings to make it lazier so that it gives smooth progressive power for their cruisers..

The by far best T3 Nissan turbo is the R34 GTT Turbo, it runs the larger OP6 turbine housing as the VG30DET turbo does but a nice chunky compressor wheel. Not a piss fart RB20det compressor wheel like the VG30det turbo does.

And no... its not worth the upgrade for 10rwkw. :mellow:

Highflow the turbo; GCG if you want maximum response with good power, the slide turbo if you want to save a few $$ or see if you can track down a nice little HKS GT2530.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, though I am in the throws of purchasing an R34Gtt turbo to replace the VG30 turbo currently on my RB20DET.

I am trying to get rid of some of the lag.

Will this help given that the R34Gtt shares the same exhaust housing as the VQ30?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, though I am in the throws of purchasing an R34Gtt turbo to replace the VG30 turbo currently on my RB20DET.

I am trying to get rid of some of the lag.

Will this help given that the R34Gtt shares the same exhaust housing as the VQ30?

If i'm not wrong the VQ30 has a bigger exhaust housing to the R34 GTT turbo

I'm not sure - I guess that's what I am trying to figure out (as I want less lag and I am told that a larger exhaust housing = more lag). Cubes (above) has written that they are the same and Manwhore (on another thread) agrees.

Edited by Birth

VG30 and R34 GTT turbine housings are the same.

The R34 turbo has a slightly larger compressor wheel that is possibly lighter due to the material it is made out of.

It will punch harder when it comes on as a result.

The R33 S2 turbo really is the best pick out of the std turbo's for the rb20.

I assume that an R34 turbo with an R33 housing would be the same / as good as an R33 turbo (assuming it were easier for me to get a hold of an R34 turbo)?

If the R33 exhaust housing is better than the OP6 housing because it is smaller - does that mean that an exhaust housing from an RB20 on an R34 turbo make it even better?

VG30 and R34 GTT turbine housings are the same.

The R34 turbo has a slightly larger compressor wheel that is possibly lighter due to the material it is made out of.

It will punch harder when it comes on as a result.

The R33 S2 turbo really is the best pick out of the std turbo's for the rb20.

Just a question, turbine housing and exhaust housing are the same thing or different? I'm sure the VG30 single turbo is definitely bigger than the R34 turbo in certain ways, thus giving me more power as proven on dyno. Have a friend with a high flow R34GTT turbo put on dyno and my hi flow VG30 turbo on dyno, i have about 10 rwkw more. Not much of a difference though i feel.

The BB VG30DET turbo from the Leopard/Cima has the same turbine housing as the R34 GTT Turbo.

If you talking the old school VG30DET from the Z31's then yes they are around the .8 a/r. So slightly larger again.

I wouldn't think the VG30 turbo would make more power as the R34 turbo though as everything on the exhaust side is the same, but the R34 turbo runs a larger compressor...

I wouldn't think the VG30 turbo would make more power as the R34 turbo though as everything on the exhaust side is the same, but the R34 turbo runs a larger compressor...

ok, I have bought an R34 turbo with the OP6 exhaust housing as it is a bargin. I am looking at acquiring a new exhaust housing via swap or buy - what should I be looking for, a. one from an R33 turbo because that is what everyone is telling me to buy because the ex housing is smaller than the OP6 or an RB20 housing because that is even smaller than the R33 housing, but the R34 compressor will off-set that with better flow?

• 4 weeks later...

To finish this converstation off - I have installed my R34 GTT turbo. The swap itself was obviously simple. I think that the R34 turbo is better - there is more boost early on and the car feels alot more drivable, though I do miss the surge of power that came on with the VG30. Don't let me be a sook though, if you have an RB20 and you are looking for a cheap upgrade neither is a bad solution (the VG30 is in my opinion certainly better than the RB20 turbo), though I think that the R34 is the way to go.