SAU Community

My Restoration

:thumbsup: Thanks for that. Im really glad people are enjoying reading it all. It makes it worthwhile!

I have no batteries for the digital camera so thats why still no pics. I plan to do some serious work on the engine this weekend though so i'll make sure to get plenty during and once im done.

Deren

Deren you should start a donations page through Paypal or somewhere. I'd happily send you a few bucks to help the war effort! :D

Everyone loves what you're doing, maybe everyone could help things along! You are a new dad and all...

:P

Your a true nice guy Mark! I couldnt ask that though. Its my fault ive turned this into a huge job so its my money thats gotta get it finished :(

Thanks for the offer though. I was just at work picking up everything i will need to hopefully complete the front diff today and finally refit the diff/sump to the engine this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted over the weekend and promise i'll get some new pics of it all.

Im still struggling with my external oil return on the back of the head. I've currently got a 90 degree elbow screwed in there but it makes it impossible to fit the stock pipes that run back there. I need a tighter, more slimline fitting. Its gotta be a neat 90 degree -10 fitting with a male 1/2 inch NPT thread.

I'll have to check the Earls catalogue again. I was hoping to find one online, but no such luck.

Ummmmm....new dad???

Deren, with the rear fitting I think something along the lines of a block of ally shaped to fit and bolt-on or screw in with the -10 fitting coming into the side almost flush at the back of the head is pretty popular. I can zap off a drawing if you need it. About time I started doing some 3d design and engineering anyway.

Yeah i had a baby boy about 5 months ago! I thought you knew.

Anyway, here are some pics of what im upto at the moment. I removed the oil feed lines from the turbo to the block to give them another flush out and now i need more new copper washers so they are missing at the moment. You can see the fitting in the back of the head and the lines that aren't fitting anymore.

post-14108-1208058045_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1208058084_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1208058126_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1208058158_thumb.jpg

Congratulations to you and the new mum mate. I didn't know. I trust both mother and baby are in excellent health.

For the rear of the head I would use a machined block of ally. Either use a piece of threaded tube into the block and drill through it to allow oil to flow through then screw the block into the back of the head. It would be very low profile. Alternatively (and my preference) you can drill and tap some boltholes into the back of the head and use ultra blue gasket between the head and the block of ally and bolt it straight on. No pressure so doesn't need to be anything spectacular and the tappings can be fairly shallow. Then out the side/lower left/bottom of the ally block you can have the thread to connect the -10 straight fitting. The elbow is gone and the pipes can sit flush with some packing to prevent rubbing damage.

Personally I would just pif all the standard Nissan delivery piping and go with flexible stuff to my own design as I have on the race car with the 26/30. I'd still do the low profile block fitting to accommodate engine fitting and removal, as well as gearbox removals.

I'll get on with a broad concept diagram shortly mate.

Haha i know :D As will i, and this would usually drive me mad but i didnt want to add to the smell of burning paint (even if it is special heat paint) there will be enough of that as it is! So that was why i didnt paint them. Poor excuse i know...

On another note i was looking at a tough 32 GTR at Mark Jacobsens workshop the other day. He had his oil cooler core mounted behind the intercooler in that gap you can look down around the bonnet latch area. Im thinking to adopt this idea as i can't fit the core on the right side behind the ducts due to the blow off valves and i think its too much piping to mount it behind left side duct. What do you all think??

Edited by Godzilla32

Very popular mod that one. I've done it myself but you have to take the AC thermo fan out. Then the AC doesn't cool properly when you are sitting still. I have the big twin ducted fans behind the Ally radiator so I just have to splice in the power wire from the AC thermo and it will run the thermo whenever required. Water temp has been up to 94 on Lakeside and the oil cooler keeps the temps down well but will still need another duct in front, like an N1.

My thoughts? I like very much.

BTW mate that engine is looking spectacular. Could do with a cool balancer though, and Dan @ elite racing can do you a great price on one. I'm getting one for the racecar soon and also one for the GTR when I get around to it.

Yeah. Alot of people are actually confused about that electric fan on the front of the radiator support. Its not actually an A/C fan. Its called a sub-cooling fan and is wired to a thermo switch on the right hand bottom corner of the radiator (green and orange plug) and is set to cut in at 90 degree's. Alot of people wire it to cut in with A/C operation but out of the factory they do not. Just to clear that up :D

I had planned to mount the core on the other side in front of the p/s cooler. Then again i heard that Duncan has issues with p/s fluid boiling as it is, so maybe thats a bad idea as it would get even less cool air flow then. I will inspect what room i have once i get more fitted back into the car. I havent been able to put anything else on as it will extend the front of the car and stop me from closing the garage door! As it is its about 1 cm from the door. So no one crash into my garage door!!

I was planning to fit an ATI balancer which i could get for $300 but seeing as its only going to be beneficial with big power and when i hit the rev limiter, I'll leave it and do it later if need be. I can't afford to do anything i dont have to right now. Its been over 2 and a half years since i drove this car and i am getting itchy to hear it running! ;)

Edited by Godzilla32

Haha i know :D As will i, and this would usually drive me mad but i didnt want to add to the smell of burning paint (even if it is special heat paint) there will be enough of that as it is! So that was why i didnt paint them. Poor excuse i know...

On another note i was looking at a tough 32 GTR at Mark Jacobsens workshop the other day. He had his oil cooler core mounted behind the intercooler in that gap you can look down around the bonnet latch area. Im thinking to adopt this idea as i can't fit the core on the right side behind the ducts due to the blow off valves and i think its too much piping to mount it behind left side duct. What do you all think??

Darren, just caught up on all the news! Congrats on being a dad mate, big change from the old days back in Melbourne ey?

I would put the oil cooler behind the incooler as behind the passenger side duct is a pain. I have it like that on mine, and i have to take the front bar off to drain the oil properly.

Thanks Nick! Lets hope not too much of a change..

I will try to slot the core in behind the intercooler if it will fit with everything else there. I think that left side duct is going to require too much of that expensive braided hose anyway lol.. I'll install the oil cooler once the engine is in and i have an idea what i have to work with.

Edited by Godzilla32

Hey everyone, this weekend ive fitted a few more things to the turbo side of the engine. A few parts are temporarily fitted but im very happy with the visual results :D

Still plenty of shiney stuff to come though. Im having the 'twin turbo' pipe smoothed off and chrome plated as well as the inlet plenum. I thnk it will add the finishing touch to the 'wow' factor.

The other option was to go with the same satin black like i have used on lots of other parts. I think this would look good also, as it would give it that tough look like the exterior. As the covers are the same silver and the plenum and twin turbo pipe would be dark like the wheels.

So the engine is getting close to completion. I plan to pick up the rebuilt throttle bodies in the next couple of weeks. While im there i will get the hole in the side of the sump opened up a little more as the fitting for the external oil return is a bit too tight in there and wont screw in far enough. The fitting is a tampered thread as well as the tapped hole in the sump.

As you can see in the rear shot i have managed to negotiate a route for the external oil return on the back of the head. It took some gentle persuasion but i managed to get all the original pipes where i needed them. I have just ordered some proper -10 hose restraint clamps to keep the braided hose secure and out of the way.

Im currently trying to track down some silicone tubing to replace all the original black rubber coolant and vacuum tubing. I can get some of the sizes but still yet to find all of the ones i need. Anyone know any really good places to buy high quality silicone tubing? I'll need 4mm, 6mm, 8mm, and what looks like approximately 9-10mm tubing.

post-14108-1208685724_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1208685784_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1208686116_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1208686138_thumb.jpg