SAU Community

My Restoration

Shit yeah. I didnt even think of that! :no: Haha, clean oil is ok... I'll just go away and convince myself of that...

I got the new washers from Nissan for 40 bucks, and torqued the head down tonight. Hope everything is all good :(

Looks like im waiting till the new year for my new garrett turbos from Slide :wub: Still only a month and a bit away i guess. Anyone know who i can get them off for $2500 sooner? After 2860r-5's

Hey guys, bit more of the engine together. Fitted up the inlet manifold and most of the secondary air system. The inlet manifold has been port matched to the head and the whole thing smoothed out. The combustion chambers have had some work done to improve flow. Head has all new guides, valve seats cut, stem seals and re-shimmed to factory specs. A problem i have found with the spot where the external oil return comes out of the head is that it will directly allign with the original gallery pipes that run accross the back of the head. Looks like they will have to be adjusted. Have a few new pics to show.

Deren

post-14108-1195899236_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1195899270_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1195899297_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1195899331_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1195899364_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1195899390_thumb.jpg

yeah we had the same problem. left the turbo side stuff where it was and raised the intake side by using a longer bolt in the rear mounting (also holds the head on) so the piping sits about 5cm higher on the intake side, everything else fit OK then.

did you put the fitting in the welsh plug or more towards the turbo side?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, i havent added much lately because, well, not much has changed. I ordered 1 complete set of cam bracket bolts from nissan and they were only $43 to me. However when i went to clean the brackets and parts, the bolts that i thought i had kept separate seemed all mixed up. The one bolt i replaced last time (with a non genuine bolt) was in the inlet cam bag and i am certain i only over tightened the exhaust cam brackets last time. So it made no sense. Besides i went through the bolts and found stretched threads in both bags for both cams. So for now i have fitted up the inlet cam with the new set of bolts. I will order another set of bolts tomorrow morning. A few had to come from Japan so it can take upto a couple of weeks to arrive. See how we go. I have become very patient in this 2+ year build! I think i have mastered the art :nyaanyaa:

As far as everything else goes, im currently organising the painting of all the engine covers, plenum, pipes etc in the same Sparkling silver metallic (WV2) coarse variant. Should look very tidy! Yes im a sucker for silver :ph34r:

Im waiting til january for my new Garrett turbos...

Waiting/saving for the redone throttle bodies...

Saving for CES racing dump/front pipes

Im going to get a performance heat coating done on the CES pipes, should i extend it to the original exhaust manifolds? I was going to but then thought that the cast iron probably wouldn't benefit much from the coating...

Deren

Thanks mate! Really appreciate it :D

I ended up getting another set of the cam bracket bolts within the same day i ordered them! So hardly had to wait at all. So now both cams are fitted with new genuine bracket bolts and torqued down to the correct tension.

This weekend i will fit new cam seals, cam gears, timing belt, and get it all timed up correctly.

Keep you all posted,

Deren

post-14108-1197017169_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1197017210_thumb.jpg

Wow Daren this is a truly inspirational build, from top to bottom, back-to-front, head-to-toe you have done it all, and keeping mostly the factory items and specs, i think is wonderful as it will be like a brand new r32 gtr (What we all want deep down lol) if i had the room @ home (only have a SLUG) i would love to do something similar to what you are doing, the enjoyment and satisfaction it is going to bring will be mind blowing for you. anyhow after reading the entire thrad i really can't wait to see the next update on pics and more information!

you chose the right car for the build, speak soon. Kind regards hame! ;)

Thanks mate, its actually going to be pretty potent. I had originally thought i would just build it up pretty stock but now the car is actually pretty well modified all over in nearly every area. Just doing it as i come to it and as my bank account will let me :D I have built the bottom end to handle big power so the only thing that will limit me to overall power output will be the turbos i choose. For now i will be running the stock fuel system but in time i will upgrade and really start pushing some serious numbers. Thinking maybe up around the 600-650 engine hp mark. Like i said, the turbos will be the limiting factor in the equation. Not to mention driveline breakages..

Fitted up the parts i mentioned in my last post. Fitted the new cam seals, bolted on the cam cover back plate and cam gears, fitted the timing belt, and got it all timed up. All still feels nice and smooth :D

Tomorrow i will pick up my new front diff bearings and fit them at work. I have sand blasted the sump/front diff housing so it looks nice and new. I will bolt it on once i get the diff gears back in the housing and i bolt in the Tomei sump baffle.

Next month i'll have my new Garrett turbos and they will be fitted up ASAP!

From there i only need to save for the previously mentioned CES racing dump/front pipes. Once they are fitted i can put the engine back in its home, either with Nismo engine mounts or new factory items.

Then it will be onto the gearbox. Need to reassemble it and fit it back into the car. Then i can drive it for the first time in well over 2 years ;)

Deren

post-14108-1197177965_thumb.jpg

Hey Deren

Progress looks good. I finally got mine registered and on the road a few weeks back. Got the run-in down, now it's in the tune process. Made a very laggy 312rhhp (hub dyno), but that should be remedied with some fettling of the cam gears. It's a good feeling to be actually driving it after working on it for so long...very satisfying.

Well done on your work, it's indeed very OCD'ish.

Cheers

Brendan

ahh well stock, refurbished, modified, its still going be nice to see a r32 GTR is such a condition as yours will be man, did you get my other pm, i have a thread in the N/A section about my r33 and my little projects and builds, looks like it is coming together now for you tho, not long till ya get ya pair of hiar dryers!! hame :ermm:

Hey Brendan, thanks for that. Ive been keeping a close eye on your blog. Looks fantastic. We really do share this same interest and to the same standards it seems. OCD standards! I have to remind myself that its actually something i can take out and drive once its to that stage. Its easy to forget that its not just a project, its actually a car haha.

Hey Hame got your PM's i replied on the one about the sand blasting, about to read the other now. Should get my 'snails' early next year. Hopefully January. Keep you all posted. Im getting together my new front diff bearings and assembling it at work. Apart from that im at a bit of a stand still for now.

Deren

Hey mate

i found the time to read your restoration , man this is awesome wish u were in melb could of help you out allot with what your doing while i learn more at the same time, then maybe help with mien restoration lolz well not to the length you have taken, but full engine rebuild will have to wait for me as i want it fully sparkling clean like how u want it to be. :P

Bruno

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bruno, thanks for the reply. I will probably move back to Melbourne one day.

Im still deciding which turbos to purchase. Kind of tied between the HKS GT-SS complete kit with uprated actuators, and the pair of Garrett 707160-5005 (2860r-5) with .64 rear housings. I've been told the next step up is HKS GTRS, but you loose some response. Anyone got any ideas on a twin turbo package that is on the right on the limit of excellent response but able to make more power than either the HKS GT-SS or the Garrett 2860r-5. Im guessing there isnt anything better but i thought no harm in asking. I will most likely be consulting Mark Jacobsen at Godzilla Motorsport on the matter as his workshop is only a 2 min walk from my workshop.

Aside from turbo choice, i have been working on the front diff. I have replaced all bearings, including the crossover shaft support bearing. Also replaced all seals. Im going to source some new exhaust manifold studs as a precaution, so they are all removed currently. I have meticulously cleaned up the engine wiring looms (with a toothbrush lol). I then re-wrapped it all in new electrical tape so its looking brand new. I've been working at getting the wires to run as neat as possble and out of sight. Not that you can see anything once the engine is back in and everything installed!