SAU Community

My Restoration

Wow Canada huh? Long way :( Yeah im actually an apprentice mechanic so it helps to have that behind me when i work on the car. You should check out sillbeer.com thats one fine rebuild of an s13!

Hey Deren,

Well it's taken me a little while but i have just read every post on the last 10 pages - your prolly sick of hearing it but ONE MORE TIME.. awsome job ;D

It's been prolly 3 days since your last post, just wondering if you have made any further progress lol?

Keep it up!

Michael

Hey mate thanks for that! Sorry about the lack of posts. I havn't been doing as much work on the car lately as its been dark by the time i get home from work and pretty wet and cold. Not very inviting out in the garage! I've been hitting it pretty hard on the weekends however and have nearly completed the power steering system, minus the pump which will be installed on the engine. Its starting to come together in the engine bay with the only parts missing are: of course the engine itself, battery, radiator and shroud, etc. I will get a few pics this weekend i hope as i plan to fix a crossed thread on a rack flare nut! Would have completed it last weekend but unfortunately i managed to make a minor cross thread and cause myself a headache :) I will reply on the weekend when i have hopefully got some photos of it all finished. Still hanging out for some cheap strut tops (shocky upper mounts) for my front Apexi N1 shocks...Anyone???

Deren

Deren - Where in Brisbane are you?

I'm by no means mechanically minded, but if you ever need a spare set of hands to help do anything, I'll be happy to help out..

I just want to see this damn thing in person.

Also, as you are a mechanic, I'd be happy to pay you to do any mechanical work that I might need rather than jo blo..

I moved up to Brisbane about a year ago and don't really have any mechanics I know like I did in Sydney so someone with your attention to detail would be beneficial to know.

PM me if you like.

Cheers.

T

Deren

get back to work on the car. Time for it to be driven mate. No better time than to bring it to the next SAUQld dinner.......

BTW guys to keep up to date on what is happening in SAUQld drop into www.sauqld.com and check in on the events forum.

Deren - Where in Brisbane are you?

I'm by no means mechanically minded, but if you ever need a spare set of hands to help do anything, I'll be happy to help out..

I just want to see this damn thing in person.

Also, as you are a mechanic, I'd be happy to pay you to do any mechanical work that I might need rather than jo blo..

I moved up to Brisbane about a year ago and don't really have any mechanics I know like I did in Sydney so someone with your attention to detail would be beneficial to know.

PM me if you like.

Cheers.

T

Hey mate. Your welcome to see the car. I'll PM you my details..

Deren

get back to work on the car. Time for it to be driven mate. No better time than to bring it to the next SAUQld dinner.......

BTW guys to keep up to date on what is happening in SAUQld drop into www.sauqld.com and check in on the events forum.

Im trying mate soon i hope to get some more money and finally be able to finish it. At least to a drivable level! Im really hanging to drive it again :yes:

- XR8 Ute?? I would have chosen the XR6 Turbo personally :O

I have managed to clean up the thread on the flare nut and corresponding thread on the rack with the help of my boss, thanks Tony! Last weekend i then fitted up the rack with the new polyurethane mounts from fulcrum and plumbed it all up including the reservour, minus the pump as i mentioned in the other post :) Ive also refitted up a very schmick looking factory boost control solinoid, it'll stay till i get my avc-r :D The charcoal canistor is now fitted too. I stripped my old drivers side door aswell last saturday so i'll clean it all up this weekend and choose the best bits i have then refit the doors. I may need to buy a few new bits like clips and weather strips etc. Luckily the 2nd hand drivers door i bought had everything minus the trim. As it turned out the glass was in decent condition, better than my original so im going with it.

I have changed plans for the bottom end of my new engine. I have decided to spend extra on the internals and get a set of race forged pistons and rods and strengthen the crank instead of strengthening the stock rods.

I'll have more after i work on it this weekend coming,

Deren :O

Haha awesome, be good to catch up. I just wish i could tell you when it wil be finished! Its still a long way from being complete as im only just getting money together to pay for the bottom end work/components. Im hoping to borrow a bit more money to help me at least get it running again. The last few weeks have seen a fair bit of work completed on it. I think i did all what i had planned to do so i've added a few photos :thumbsup:

Note:

Standard shocks still fitted until i receive new upper mounts for the Apexi N1's

Since the last post i have cleaned and fitted:

Both doors with my original seal which were all in exceptionally good condition for 18 year rubber!

Both doors with all the locking and latch release components

Both doors with window regulators and glass

Properly fitted the JIC castor rods with new bolts

The only parts it looks like im going to have to buy for the doors are new bodyside weather strips (part that runs on the glass on the outside). The originals look ok but new ones will look better :domokun:

Deren

post-14108-1183974518_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1183974639_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1183974765_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1183974820_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1183974879_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1183974936_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1183975001_thumb.jpg

post-14108-1183975058_thumb.jpg

still looking awesome mate!

just a question: i noticed in those engine bay pictures that it looks like you are re-using some of the old heater hoses etc?

Considered changing those for newer ones? The reason i ask is i know on the RB20's in R32's that they can sometimes pop with old age etc, and i'm sure thats the last thing you want to happen with a brand new rebuild of... well.... everything! lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch....a ceramic????

I grabbed a NPC organic respecced Nismo clutch from Archerfield and it is rated to handle the 600hp I will be throwing at it..... and no Jim to chew my ear off :)

Not a ceramic its a carbotic drive plate. I was told you cannot rate a clutch at horsepower as it handles torque not horsepower and even then there are too many variables in the mix to be able to actually 'rate it'. However it was said that the same clutch was in a drag car that ran a 9.5 sec quarter. So plenty of grab.

Deren

Great! I hope it has a good long life. Im worried the harsh clutch material will wear the flywheel and pressure plate. There is very little room for wear in the new drive plate so im guessing that indicates there will be more wear on the accompanying surfaces. See how it goes i guess :P

Meanwhile i have decided to stick with my ACL forgies and mate them to a set of Spool rods from Spool performance. John at JHH who is machining my bottom end assures me ACL's are a good thing and just as good as the other options. So see as the block is already machined to take the ACL's i'll stick with them. So now i need to order myself the new rods and get them and my clutch to JHH to be balanced very finely. Im having some oil control work done to the bottom end plus other bits like a JUN crank collar etc. Bottom end will be good for 700hp

I will update you guys when i have more news.

Deren

• 3 weeks later...

Picking up the bottom end in a week. Its had the works and is ready for assembly!

I had John at JHH Engineering in Woodridge do the following work -

Hot bath block

Rebore 86.5mm

Clean all galleries and fit new plugs

Fit Jun crank collar

Fit new forged rods to new forged pistons (with ARP rod bolts)

Linish the crank and check all clearances

Open up oil return through block from head

Fit oil feed to head restrictor

Deck block

Balance the whole entire rotating mass including the harmonic balancer and flywheel/clutch

Open up drillings in the sump

Port match/high flow the cylinder head

Think thats everything...

So in a week i may be ready to assemble my tough new bottom end :huh:

That would be nice.

I'll keep you posted,

Deren

Edited by Godzilla32

this is an awsome build, i wouldnt worry to much about the fact your insured for 30K, your not alone my dad has a mint XA GT falcon in the shed which was restored also and they bought the best of every motor part off the shelf from teh US and shannons wont alow any more than 40K its wortha fk load more than that. Prob why they only drive it once a year, spose that would be your plan too after all this effort hey?

will be great when you get all your motor bits back.. its an awsome feeling putting together a new motor its all so shiny and pretty and you can put to rest you have done everything correctly with no shortcuts as what you would worry about if someone else assembled it.. :)

are you going to de-dag the block as well, unless the blocks are mint from factory.

Edited by YEHBOI

Hey mate, i'll be using the car as a weekend/track car. I couldnt go to all this work and not use it everynow and then. Yeah it helps me sleep at night knowing my car is mint top to bottom and i've personally assembled it all myself :domokun:

I pick up the bottom end tomorrow night and drop off the head and sump. Head is getting more work done ie: port matching and flow work. Its already been completely rebuilt with all new exhaust guides, new stem seals, valve seats re-cut, re-shimmed, and pocket flowed.

The sump will get the drillings opened up and i'll be fitting a Tomei sump baffle.

I've focussed on oil control and aimed for power handling of 700+hp.

I'll post up pics of the bottom end as i'll be painting it over the weekend :rofl:

Deren