SAU Community

My Restoration

cheers mate, some idea of the wiring would be just great - i have the space where the horn should go and i can see two or three black wires hanging in there doing nothing, but i have no idea which wires would connect up to a horn unit.

i guess i'd like to fit up a falcon horn but i think i need to see which wires to use (i am such an electronics ditz). i can't find any of this in the workshop manual either.

so yeh that'd be REALLY great deren, cheers!:D

Cheers for that mate, good to hear from you :D

Yeah i wont be messing with anymore gtr throttle bodies for awhile.. As for the suspension i have rebuilt N1 dampers ready to go in with the resto but im lacking strut tops for them. Hoping the stock tops will fit? No one has given me a deffinate on replacements that will fit either..

Deren

The rear end is nearly completed now with only the right hub left to make pretty and reassemble. On friday i will be getting the Wurth underbody deadener. From there i will mask the entire top of the car, clean the underside and proceed to spray one very bare bottom ;) I have removed and detailed every single thing ready to go back on, so im keen to see the end result!

I have managed to fit up the original strut tops (with some minor modifications) to the rear N1 Dampers. I'll wait to see how they perform like this but it should be ok. The front could be a a whole different kettle of fish as im pretty sure they use a tappered spring, whereas the N1's use a narrow diameter straight spring.

My original stock GTR shocks are all in excellent condition if anyone is interested in a cheap fix for their leaking/damaged/soft shockies. My car has only travelled 46,000 km's so they are in great condition. I am more confident than most in saying that as i have inspected every part of the car for wear and tear with everything pointing towards a fairly accurate odometer reading.

PM me for interest in stock shocks,

Deren

post-14108-1165921372.jpg

Oh sweet! After that other guy got his car fully rebuilt for drifting, i've had nothing to follow and watch!

Very nice work! If I could do this, I would. It would be like building a time machine, going back to '89 or later, and buying a brand new R32 GTR. Man... that would have to feel good!

Yeah i aggree its how i feel too :( I just finished the rear end assembly tonight so over the w'end i will paint up the underside and hopefully, if i have time, refit the rear end to the car! Anyone want a drivers side headlight off my car? Its the full circle projector style non N1...

Deren

Still working on painting the underside now. Im not sure if im turning this into a bigger job than it was or if its just more involved than i thought it was going to be...Anyway its taking alot longer than i anticipated, to do it correctly anyway. I first washed down the underbody with sugar soap and hot water (turned my hands all wrinkly and screwed up for hours). Then i wiped it down with wax and grease remover. The stuff i had lined up from wurth is in a aerosol can. Its not very thick and i found it quite dull, matt even. Possibly because you can paint over it? You can buy another thicker version of stone guard from wurth and it seems to have a slightly more glossy finish and gives a uniform roughness to the underside. The problem with this is that you also need to purchase a gun to use it with an air compressor. Its annoying to have to buy somthing that'll you only use once but i guess i have no option.

I added a foto of:

The subframe after initial removal

The subframe nearly complete

First go at aerosol wurth stoneguard

What do you guys reckon? I think i wanna go with the thicker one.

Deren

post-14108-1166528764.jpg

post-14108-1166528937.jpg

post-14108-1166529262.jpg

Mate - How about in a few years, when i have enough money to house and employ you, you trek it over to WA so we can do this together on a GTR???????.

Your doing a great job. Only wish i had the knowhow to do it all... I knew i should of taken that mechanic apprenticeship hahah.

As a few others have mentioned, its kind of inspiring that your actually doing this.

Best of luck and like many others i have been and will be following the thread closely...

W.A you say? Hmmm sounds interesting haha..How much you payin? :)

Yeah anyway...its alot of work but very satisfying to see coming together and knowing the end result is going to blow people away. I hope to show it once its done and hopefully get into HPI :sick:

I've decided to go with the thicker stone guard that wurth offer. They are exchanging whats left of what i already bought and replacing it with the other stuff. Pretty good of the rep i thought. Problem is they wont reopen now till the 8th of Jan so that will halt progress till then. I found Otomoto are out of pineapples so i rang Just Jap in sydney and they can sell me a set delivered for $145 to Brisbane.

Deren

• 2 weeks later...

hey deren. ive been following this in silence since you started! im agreeing with what everybody has already said so im not gonna bother to tell you what a fantastic job you are doing and how much of an inspiration it is.

oh crap i guess i just did...

anyways, when are you getting to the actual rebuild of the motor? just curious as im gonna be rebuilding the motor out of my 32gtr in a couple months time when the cash is flowing a little better. your attention to detail is EXACTLY what i love to see. a great way for me to get any hints tips advice etc for my rebuild.

good luck with the GTR mate. :P

Happy new years too.

Ron

Thanks Ron! My block etc is/has been over at JHH Engineering for months now. I have put it on hold as now that im detailing restoring the underside of the car aswell its taken up all my money! I can only work on one area at a time in most cases. Jim berry has had my clutch sitting at his workshop for months too now because i simply ran outta money to pick it up! Probably hates my guts by now but i will pick it up b4 too much longer. Anyway i need the clutch before the engine can be finished the machine work. The clutch, flywheel and crank will all be balanced together as well as everything else to zero grams. The block has been decked and bored to take 20 thou OS ACL forged pistons, im also using ACL heat treated main and big end race bearings, custom oil pump collar, oil restrictor, custom sump baffle. The oil returns will be opened up too. Cant think if ive forgotton anything...Also bought a new water pump but will stick with my original oil pump as its all within spec.

Deren

im gonna get jim to sort out my clutch when i start my rebuild. i think ill fry it pretty quickly even though ill be taking it easy. fresh motor and all. its pretty stuffed already. i think my motor has done pretty well for the good 170000kms its done on stock turbos.

im looking at just a basic rebuild on the motor due to the flow of cash... it needs to be done as the head is cracked.

still looking at using the original cams, valves, springs etc.

so far ill be replacing the turbos, oil pump, ecu and getting the clutch reworked by jim. the water pump is new and so are a lot of the steel water lines. the water lines that havnt been replaced will be.

hopefully ill get this started by the end of march, start of april... :)

Yeah i'll be very disappointed if its not the cleanest! To be honest it would have been one of the cleanest unmodified GTR's b4 i started but an accident in it made my mind up to rebuild her ground up. I will finally get my hands on the thicker underbody stoneguard on friday so hopefully over the w'end i can get most of the underside done. Ive masked out the engine bay from the underneath, not to mention the entire top of the car, sill to sill. That sounds easy but is a major job (check the photo posted a few replies back)

Deren

I think you are probably certifiable with the detail you are going to. :rant:

To see what you have done in the time frame given makes me ashamed to admit I have done a ground up resto( nowhere near as well and with help ) to a AMC Javelin started before you were born .

One day it will be finished but you will have completed your fourth rebuild by then! :)

By the way, when do you sleep and work?

QLD's gain is VIC's loss!

BTW the issue here is DEDICATION, - NOT KNOWLEDGE or OPPORTUNITY!