SAU Community

First start after my RB2.4 rebuild

Guest JOnJ0n

Guest JOnJ0n

Whats up, I recently just rebuilt my RB2.4 kit engine and when my HKS 264 cams for both intake and exhaust where installed they where installed at stock setting by the RB2.0 service manual. Now when I cranked my engine my car was making a tapping noise from the head, almost like the valve where hitting something or some of the hydraulic lifters went bad. Now the thing about this head is it was already on my RB2.4 engine before and the only thing that was taking out of the head was just the cams, all the rest of the internals of the head stayed inside (ex. valves, springs...) Now if my HKS 264 cams where set at stock settings do you think it would cause my valves to hit something? If so do you think it would cause any damage for about 10mins worth of running all together. Also I looked up my cams and I saw my cams should be set at 110 degrees for the intake and 115 for exhaust and stock settings are 0 degrees. Soooo do you think the stock settings would cause my valves to hit something? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks

its highly possible for them to be hitting pistons. Your hks cams would be a higher lift cam, therefore would require the appropriate dial in (110 and 115 degrees)

The cams may also have longer duration and/or advanced or retarded slightly.

would pay to check your lifters too, remove them and compress them fully, then refit them

Guest JOnJ0n

: CMS Drifter :

Thx for the reply... When you talk about compressing the lifters, how do you compress the RB20 hydraulic lifters? Also How should I set up my cams on my cam gears in relation with the 110 and 115 degrees...

get a pair of hks adjustable cam gears. the tapping sound would most probably be valves on pistons. i dun think there'd be any damage if u didn't drive hard. but would get it checked out anyway. correct me if i'm wrong but i think u'd need a set of valve springs and retainers for those cams to be on the safe side.

Guest JOnJ0n

Well the head I am using now was on the RB2.4 before I had to rebuild the engine and nothing has been change. I also ran the same head on my rb20 with the same setup just a RB20 engine. So I guess my main question is -

On a HKS website is said for a RB2.0 for the intake cam the Designed Valve Timing is 110 and for exhaust is 115. So do I set my main crank pulley at 70 degrees clockwise from 0degree TDC (for intake cam) and then make sure my #1 cyclinder cam intake valve is full open? and then set it back to 0 degree mark for TDC and turn the main crank pulley counterclockwise to the 65 degree and then make sure the #1 cyclinder exhaust valve is fulley open? I am new to this whole timing from scratch with aftermarket cams =( sorry, but any help is helping me...

i'm not too sure about that. you'd have to get it checked out by a proper mechanic cos the stats are for a 2 litre block and you're obviously a 2.4 litre. you'd be better off putting the car with a good mechanic and getting the thing sorted. gives you peace of mind as well. btw r u really in okinawa? if u're in japan, i dun think locating a mechanic would be a problem.

Guest JOnJ0n

Ok I also have some other questions. I talked talked to my tuning shop that also had a RB2.4 car and I asked them about my 264 cams and if they would hit the pistons being set at stock 0 degree timing and they said no. So I was going to try something else that one of my friends told me about his 550cc injectors making a really loud noise. So I disconnected the fuel pump and the injector box and turned my car over. I didnt hear any tapping noise. Do you think if my valves where hitting that I would hear it then. If I didnt hear any tapping when I did that check what else could that loud tapping noise be? Another told me that one of his friends car had a loud tapping noise also and they found a oil drain line or hole clogged. Could this really cause a loud tapping? Any ideas would help. Thank you =)

• 2 weeks later...