Roy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roy,

Where does yours come on now? around 4k?

The GT35r will lag more than that.. :laugh:

Throw the GT30 on it, decent cams, exhaust manifold, 3.5" exhaust, headwork and you should get close if not crack high 200's.

Freebaggin was pushing 280rwkw on 17psi through his GT3040 on Boostworx dyno, then upped boost to over 20psi, a few other bits and pushed out 313rwkw.

It was also running a molested VLT type .63 internal turbine housing. Sounds almost impossible given the .63 but worked.

Was apparently not much laggier than stock.

post-382-1162209672.jpg

post-382-1162209680.jpg

Yeh it has plenty of boost into it at 4,000rpm. But the thing doesnt really pull until closer to 4,500rpm. I think thats more a funciton of the engine...as even 2530s, though they make more boost sooner, dont really pull until mid 4thousand something.

Well if the GT35, even with cams and the extra 600cc is going to drive worse then the 20G on std RB20...then sounds like it will be too big. Dont mind if its the same as what i currently have, but if doing it all again i would rather have it marginally better.

So seems like i will have to be happy with the punch of the little GT30R. Its just that guys are throwing these GT35Rs on little SR20s :laugh:

So is the 3040 bigger then the GT30R? I just look at the wheels sizes and trims...too mnay variables with kist calling them 3040etc (or so i have found)

Agreed.. Even calling it a GT3082 is crap as there's different trim comp wheels. :laugh:

It was the 82mm 56t comp wheel.

HKS as you probably know ran the 82mm 50t wheel.

As what to use.. the GT30r 76mm 56t or the GT30r 82mm 50t (providing you can find some one to part it together) I really don't know.

I do know the HKS3037S (76mm 56t) .87 with its Portshroud comp cover pushed out 323rwkw with slightly over 20psi, rb25 with cams on Boostworx dyno. This was a few years back on Steve's car.

So the 76mm 56t compressor 'can' flow the air and given that the motor is setup appropriately.

Its too hard, what do trust have to offer? :)

Yeh, i keep looking at Buster's old setup with the TD06SH-25G. Pretty basic motor with baby cams and it will bolt to my manifold and gate. It was a monster setup. But want to go back to a low mount manifold, and like the idea of running vband turbine outlet...

It was also running a molested VLT type .63 internal turbine housing. Sounds almost impossible given the .63 but worked.

Was apparently not much laggier than stock.

The factory GTS-R turbo also runs the same VLT internally gated exhaust housing with the ridiculous internal gate setup.

But as you saw on your mates car, throw some decent boost through it and somehow it makes the numbers.

This run was on about 20-21psi.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...st&id=19707

T04Z Is too big. Thought about it, but dont need anything capable of over 400rwkws. Id rather something smaller.

Noone has really flow the flag for anything bigger then the GT30R, so may just stick with that.

And already have the HKS manifold and gate...so want external exhaust housing

Hi Roy , no negativity intended - just thinking out loud about RB26 heads . If you want it to be a sleeper I guess that means 25DE head with 26 or R34 25 valve gear .

I have no doubt the real GT3076R (turbo no 700382-0012 / CHRA no 700177-0007) could do it but it may need a little fine tuning with turbine housings . I think HKS used to do T3 flanged GT30 turbine housings but the T25/28 flanged versions are more common .

As was mentioned HKS's .87AR size would be a good starting point with 1.01 and 1.12 still to go . HKS's housings are more compact than Garretts and a little better nozzle shape . The Garretts are not bad though AR sizes jump from .82 to 1.06 . I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone using the large 1.06 housing on a GT3076R but that doesn't make it a bad thing .

Cartridge wise the GT3076R and the 56 trim GT3037 are identical . Occasionally people in the States buy GT3076Rs with 3037 stamped on the ID tag .

Technically speaking Garrett US sell the GT3076R minus the turbine housing and you select which one you want . HKS sell turbine housings seperate so if your lucky you can get the best of both worlds . Only grey area is can you find HKS T3 flanged housings . Also note that the HKS version uses a slightly smaller four bolt flange than the Garrett . I have seen pics of the Garrett housings remachined at the back for a V band flange . Have a look at ATP Turbos site for some pics and ideas .

Personally I'm not a big fan of the GT3040R though the HKS variant as mentioned with the 82mm 50 trim GT40 compressor is the better choice . I have some paperwork somewhere suggesting that the GT3240 was good for 490 Hp but its very much an orphan with its cropped GT35 turbine and 54 trim 82mm GT40 compressor . The only turbine housing made for it , I think , is a HKS .87AR T25/28 flanged one as it was probably aimed at SR20's and in twin form on RB26's . Not cheap either .

Cheers A .

maybe its time to upgrade... SR POWA :D

sorry had to say it

The SR's puff 500cc's per pot. Nice big long hard puffs to spool that turbo up.

Drop an RB in it that puffs 500cc's per pot. :O

Too bad about R33_racers recent failure, suspected N1 oil pump let go with a full crank drive and ATI balancer. :D

Will see in days to come exactly what was the cause.

I was looking at running a GT30R, but looking closely at the results there arent many ppl making early 300rwkws with them. Typically 280-290rwkws with a good lung full of boost. So not much headroom for pumping a few extra psi to get anpother 30-40rwkws out if it for ballpar 340rwks.

So from there GT30R, how much difference in driveability is there to a GT35R? Im hoping to get around 290-300rwkws from 16psi, with the occasional adventure to around 22psi where i would hope to net 340-350rwkws on Optimax.

Needs to be a single, and needs to be T3 flanged. Since i already run a Greddy setup was also considering the TD06SH-25G.

Not overly concerned about lag, as long as it makes strong power from 4,500rpm to 8,500rpm. (4,500rpm +200rwkws)

Speaking Garret talk, i suppose im curious to know if the 3240/3540 are good things etc, or can the GT30R be leaned on to credibly give the numbers i want?

hey dude,

as everyone else has mentioned already, the Garrett GT30R (with A/R .82 exhaust housing) will give the power you need while being usable and not too aggressive but it won't happen at 16psi, maybe closer to 21-22psi.

although, if you are building a good engine (rb26 crank, rods, forgies, etc), why are you aiming to run lower boost when the engine could comfortably handle the higher boost required?

also, if it is imperative that you run lower boost, you can look at increasing the volumetric efficiency of the engine by running higher compression than standard (~9.0:1), head porting along with decent sized cams.

these 3 things alone will create the power you require and at lower boost.

one more thing, the TD06-25G sitting in my garage would work quite nicely with this engine and your current manifold, etc :)

hey dude,

as everyone else has mentioned already, the Garrett GT30R (with A/R .82 exhaust housing) will give the power you need while being usable and not too aggressive but it won't happen at 16psi, maybe closer to 21-22psi.

although, if you are building a good engine (rb26 crank, rods, forgies, etc), why are you aiming to run lower boost when the engine could comfortably handle the higher boost required?

also, if it is imperative that you run lower boost, you can look at increasing the volumetric efficiency of the engine by running higher compression than standard (~9.0:1), head porting along with decent sized cams.

these 3 things alone will create the power you require and at lower boost.

one more thing, the TD06-25G sitting in my garage would work quite nicely with this engine and your current manifold, etc :ninja:

9.4:1 You know you want it.

How about this. The GT3540R on an SR20. One is 0.63 the other is 0.86.

64gt35rdifferencevf7.jpg

Anyways yeah might be a bit laggy for what you are looking for so the GT30R seems like a nice choice!

Edited by Busky2k