SAU Community

Oil sludge in intake

DCIEVE

alright, picked the car up last week, and hasnt been running so great so got some electrical contact cleaner and cleaned the afm it was bloody covered in crap. problem is looked at pipe behind it leading to the turbo and its even worse, a greasy black oil sludge. ive looked inside the plumbing just before the t/b and its pretty clean but the turbs to i/c pipe is pretty oily. ive cleaned as much as i can reach and im going a front mount soon so will be replacing the plumbing. i'd like to know how 'normal' this is. will it caus me probs down the line? ive fitted an oil catch can to stop the oil getting in there but will it caus any probs driving as is till its all replaced??

cheers people

also how much oil does the rb20det 5spd box take, wondering if they take much more than the listed volume like the r33's seem to

in regards to the oil in the turbo pipe, I was talking to someone the other day and they were saying if it gets that stage then what you can do is run wd40 through it. and rev the engine. so get a mate to spray wd40 while you're reving the engine and apparently that cleans the pipe and the turbo.

A whole heap of black smoke is supposed to come out, (all the dirt) but just keep giving it wd40 until it all cleans out.

99% of the time you will find that it may have had a panel or pod style air filter which needs oil on it on the car.... there for the oil makes its way into the intake pipe.......personally i would rather leave it there then run it thru my engine......

cheers for the replies.

yeah it has a hks filter, and the filter element is F@cked ive ordered a new one through speedworks (half the price of other places)

yeah i think a thin film of oil is typical but when the importers cleaned the engine bay theyve sprayed that shiny stuff everywhere and all over the filter. and caus its stuffed dirt and everything has got in there.

What it is, is the blow by oil from the rocker cover. It is a pressure releiving valve (PCV) that runs accross your rocker covers, it runs back into your airtake so it doesnt mix up your AF ratios. Just spay some carby cleaner to get rid of it.

To fix it get a oil catch can.

WD40 is just another type of oil so I wouldn't be putting that through my intake without some sort of solvent to follow it up with. So you may as well skip the WD40 step altogether and just go with the carbie cleaner.

WHITE R32, that black stuff comes from your engine so there's no harm in feeding it back in. If there was then every car would come with an oil catch can or separator. The only harm it does is to clog up your AFM or coat the inside of your intercooler making it less efficient. It won't harm your engine at all.

yeah the oil catch can was the first thing to go on. i think i'll leave it as is untill i do the front mount and rip everything apart then and clean it. it doesnt get driven all that much anyway

thanx people :D