SAU Community

Which tyres?

JimX

Does anyone know of a good brand/model of tyre that grips fairly well in the wet? I've heard good thinkgs about Yokohama A539's but I don't remember seeing any comments about their wet weather capability.

Dry grip is also important, but not if the grip is sub-par in the rain. I also don't mind if the compound is slightly softer than normal if it has improved grip to show for it, but I'm not after the absolute best/softest/most expensive set. Preferably something below $200 per tyre.

Oh, and they also have to come in sizes 235/17/45 and 255/17/55, and Z-rated.

Is there a site reviewing different types of tyre? I found one sometime last year that was based in America, and it actually had figures submitted by readers, for grip, performance, noise, etc. But being in America most of the model numbers didn't match up to what we have here.

Thanks for all the links Duncan! Oh well, hopefully now when someone else searches for "tyres" in the Maintenance section they'll turn up your excellent thread summary :P

i dun think u'll find any tyres for what u want in that size below 200. i'm using the falken 451 and they grip pretty good in the dry but i haven't pushed it hard enough in the wet to know what it's like.

for ur sizes, i'd go bridgestone so-3 or g3.

I don't think I can afford the Bridgestones :D

I actually had Marshal Power Racer 2 tyres put on the front a couple of weeks ago, they were $165 each, plus $10 or $20 each (I forget) to fit and balance them. Yeah, I'd never heard of them either :D

I only got them because I discovered that due to a bad wheel alignment my Nankangs were down to the steel belts (!) on the inside edges, which I never noticed when checking my tyres. I had virtually no spare money so I had to get the cheapest of whatever was available.

I'm not really sure how good/bad these tyres are. When I took the car out at first they were awful, but a couple of days later I discovered that the alignment I had done actually made the alignment WORSE! It was so bad, that on that shiny underground carpark concrete, the tyres would squeal like a bitch even in a completely straight line. They also feathered only after a couple of hundred k's. After I had the alignment re-done properly I never managed to push the car very hard. I'll see what happens this weekend if the weather fines up.

They seem to be ok for such a cheapass tyre, they've got that flange on them to protect your rims too.

The reason why I'm inquiring about tyres though is my rears are wearing thin and I was considering getting rid of the Marshals on the front and putting good stuff all round when the time comes.

I got A539s fitted the other day 235/45 17 all round, and so far I think they are great. When I got the car it came with Federals and the A539s are light years in front of these tyres in ALL conditions. I really couldn't afford them at the moment but I can testify with this car and others you pay for what you get. One of the best investments in performance handling will come from your tyre choice. Make a wise choice!

JimX: Nankangs :P I had them once on my last car, NEVER again!

On my last car (2001 Astra (FWD)) I found the best all round tyre (particularly in the wet) were GoodYear Eagle F1s. The only problem is they won't come in your width (or mine!).

I have Falken Ziex front and back on 18s and I think they are good in the dry but pretty average in the wet. I have 235s on the front and 265s on the back. Next time I'll try the Dunlop FM901s that Duncan mentioned.

the SO2 and SO3 by bridgestone are some of the best value for money u can buy.

of cos u could go Pirelli P-Zeros...but they have less than half the life of the bridgestones...they grip like a rabid terrier tho...so i guess it's all down to wat u want and how much u can fork out