SAU Community

Azenis Rt615 Any Good?

GTSR22

hi guys,

we are currently importing another gtr for my dad to keep.

now we have bought some azenis rt615 and heard some really awsome reviews on them

just wondering what you guys thaught of them? and if anyone has them how are they as an all round tyre.

cheers guys

greg

I haven't used them, but since they are semi slicks you can assume they are:

Excellent in the dry once they are warm

Poor to dangerous in the wet

Noisy

Tramline

Quick wearing

Have not used them either but ridden in 2 cars fitted with them..

Can agree that they are excellent in the dry, don't really need warming as they aren't a proper semi slick they are a road tyre which is the closest u can get to a semi slick. they have tread wear of 180 or 200 i cant remember. precisely but i think it is 200.

On that point its also worth mentioning that they are the replacement for the rt-215 which was recognized as performing to its best without warm up

They are are definitely not poor in the wet, once again i have not driven on them but driven along with a few cars fitted with them and on a damp/not very wet surface they are way better than normal top of the line sports tyres like t1-r and sport maxxs. I would say that when they road is very wet ie. a pool of water covering the road they are not as good as a regular all weather sports tyre but still not poor or dangerous like falken 326s for example can be

Edit:removed image, and this should really have been posted in the tyre thread.

Edited by siksII

I have 215's on the front and 615's on the back at the moment (GTSt)...

They aren't noisy, they don't tramline badly and they are actually better than 'normal' road tires in the wet... BUT the 615's look to wear much quicker than the 215's... I have done 2 track days, a motorkhana and about 4,000 road kays on them and the 215's have plenty of meat left whilst the 615's are almost down to the indicators... however they are on the back and responsible for putting the power down so a little hard to get an accurate comparison

one thing to note though, with the stiffer sidewalls they do transmit much more of the little bumps and cracks in the road than normal road tires... can be annoying on bad roads

great cross over tires but if your after good times on the circuit get some RE55's or equivalent

rt215 was perfectly safe in the wet (if you always remember you are in a turbo car) so assume the RT615's are similar.

I got about 12,000km out of my rt215's with still a few more km in them. That's not quite up there with your 20-30,000km of your average tyre, but if you don't do a heap of km each year, fair enough.

The RT-615 manage to incorporate the negatives of a proper R compound, ie harsh ride, noise & poor wear on the track without compensating by offering the same amount of grip as a proper R compound.

In short they are neither Arthur, nor Martha. IMHO if you want a track tyre get a proper track tyre & don't muck about with these things. If you want a road tyre, then get a good road tyre.

Problem is a good road tyre still is no good for the track, and then you have to lash out the cost for the RE55's or the like, good spare set of rims, swapping them each outing, etc. So it's either cheap-ass road tyres (which can be dangerous), although are probably driven on 98% of the time, or spend good money on both... which is getting close to $1800 just for 2 pairs.

A compromise tyre would be great, but of course the characteristics of one make it unsuitable for the other.

I currently use these tyres (275/35/18's) on my GTR as street tyres. Very good every day tyre. Wear is good, traction is good and price (surprisingly) is good. I was originally using Yokohamas AVS sports which were hiddeously priced - around $600-00 per corner. Thought they were crap by the way. The Azenis 615's were about $370-00. Grip level (especially when new) is awesome. They are wearing slightly quicker than standard, but at the price I don't mind so much. Don't seem to be affected by the constant heat cycling like the 215's used to. I would recommend them as a street tyre. If you are considering for the track, I could name plenty better.

Gotta say, the aggressive tread pattern looks pretty fat on the car.

I've had the 215's on my stock rex for about 15,000km's - and the car has had some rough treatment - and they are still ok.

Not perfect but they are not ready to chuck yet by any stretch of the imagination. And for a street tyre they are by far the best overall tyre I have used (great in both dry and wet). I'm planning on replacing them with the 615's as the 215's have been so good.

Gotta say, the aggressive tread pattern looks pretty fat on the car.

lol, i was gonna say id almost buy em coz they look cool :P

Im yet to pick some tyres for my GTR, these seem well worth looking into. Ive used RE55s, and absolutely loved them, on street and track (i hear Yoko AO48R's even sh!t on the RE55s) but the bridgies definitly needed heat in them!!

I have a local route id drive and usually the tires would be warmed up at the end of it, but once i went out and didnt take into account the colder than usual temperature of the day, and upon finishing my usual "warm up course" i threw her semi hard into a corner i normally have no probs with, and she understeered straight up onto the median strip and into the flower bed, lol.

:dry:

• 2 years later...
i have a set on my car and im very happy with the grip in the dry.... on the wet..... a bit iffy.

was very happy with at the track..

wear life unknown.

Thanks for the feedback.

Getting a set on Sat so will post my thoughts later