SAU Community

R33 S2 Steering Wheel Pulses

RaseR

Hey Guys,

Strange one for you all - ever since I've owned my S2 R33 (most of this year), I've noticed that whenever I take a slightly spirited drive through the windys, I can feel and see the steering wheel pulse left/right in my hands at irregular intervals...haven't had time to book it in to be fixed until now, so any ideas what I should be looking at?

Variables: Car has standard airbag wheel, HICAS, upgraded castor bushes, runs on 18x8 350Z alloys (235/45), lowered springs (-30 to -40mm)

Pls Let me know if you have any insights!

Edited by RaseR

Nope your disc maybe warped or you may have tempered a section of your disc making it a lot harder than the rest or worse cracked one of your discs. Once either of these take place then it just gets worse, and it sort of difficult for discs to wear unevenly. Try machining your discs if they are not cracked and they will soon let you know if you have a hard section on the disc when they skim it.

Sorry, but I don't think it's got anything to do with warped brakes - why woud it do it while the car is stationary?

I seem to recall a similar problem with my 32, and it had something to do with a poorly connected TPS, IIRC.

Thanks guys, but I'm not convinced it's the discs...like LiQuid IcE mentioned, it also does it while the car is stationary with the wheel half turned...(which I should've mentioned originally!) so that would rule out the brakes...

blind_elk - that's an interesting one, I'm almost positive the TPS sensor is connected properly, I've used my consult diagnostic tool and can see that it reads (IIRC) around 0.3V on closed throttle and smoothly increases to 4.8V (once again IIRC) at full throttle...any other ideas?

get ur rims balanced and get a wheel alignment..after you lowered it your alignment would have gone out of whack.

or if you have driven over a pot hole or something like that , it will put ur alignment out

hey mr crust - good advice, I'm definitely going to get all that done, I suspect that an alignment wasn't done after the previous owner lowered it & also when the castor bushes were replaced.

thanks blind_elk - I'll check out my alternator this weekend, just interested how this could affect the steering - I guess it must have something to do with it being speed sensitive?

Hey lingeringsoul...nah, no big deal - hence the reason I haven't bothered getting it fixed...but yes it's kinda annoying!

I'm going to get the full wheel alignment, balance, new p/s fluid all done with my major service, so I'll let you know if any of those solve the problem...not holding my breathe just quietly.

Edited by RaseR

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, for anyone who's interested - I've found out what causes this problem - it's actually the power steering rack, there are a set of teflon collars that interface the column to the rack, as these wear out and deteriorate it can lead to the pulsing that I'm experiencing.

Apparently the only solution is to have the rack reconditioned.