SAU Community

Changing The Rocker Cover Gasket

Mike_

I had a go at this today and it pretty much took me all day (still haven't finished) as all my hoses and clamps were all seized up and stuck on. Took forever to undo them all - my back and hammys are now totally f*****d!

Anyway, I got completely stuck on that bolt 10 on the intake side cam cover (the one under the throttle body) and couldn't undo the throttle body bolts at all to get the throttle body off - they were too dam tight. To make things worse I dont have an angled screwdriver (my tools suck). After thinking (swearing) for a few hours I figured out if you sticky tape a small 8mm socket onto an allen key, you have *just* enough room (had to unclip some of the wires in the way) to get it under the throttle body and make a few turns on bolt 10 to get it loosened just enough. Then I unbolted the throttle body sensor to give me enough room to get a long skinny screwdriver down the side of the throttle body and was just able to unscrew bolt 10.

So, if anyone else is unable to get their throttle body off as well, or perhaps just dont want to take it off to avoid breaking its gasket, or are just too tight arse like me to buy some descent tools, then mayb give this allen key trick a go.