SAU Community

Tyres for R33 GTR

nissaner

i will need new set of tyres for my R33 GTR soon.. i currently have bridgestone grid2 in 245/45/R17 size.. the rims are stock gtr ones.. i went down to bridgestone parramatta today and they didn't have 245/45/17s... (only in pirreli which was $495 per tyre...)

best offer was $395 per tyre for potenza S03 in 255/40/17...

r there any better valued tyres?? i don't wanna pay too much buy do really want to compromise the grip, handling etc etc coz i want to goto track days with new tyres too...

any help will be appreciated...

andrew, u saying its weird that they don't have 245/45/17s ?? (my current tyres came with my car brand new from japan and it was adr approved tyres so i didn't have to get new tyres when compliancing... i was told that they don't have those sizes in australia...)

and lepperfish, which bob jane was this?? that GRB tyre was mentioned in alot of tyre related threads... and i should be okay to put 255/40/17 on my car?? (i assume so...:uh-huh: )

No, I was saying it was weird that the S03s were cheaper than the GridIIs

The Potenza S02/S03s have for a long time been widely recognised as the best all-round tyres available. Excellent in the dry, unequalled in the wet, and good wear rates for the grip they provide...

255s are fine, but let me give you a hint: replace all four tyres at the same time, otherwise ATESSA will go bonkers.

Nissaner,

Be careful of the load rating of the tyres you decide to get. An R33 GTR has a load rating index of 94. I recently bought tyres for my GTR and I was only able to find like 3 types of tyres that had an index that high. I even rang transport over here and they told me in an accident the tyres are checked and the load index is one of the items they look at. If you have the wrong index on your car insurance companies won't pay up.....

I had to choose between Pirelli Pzero's, Goodyear Eagle F1's and a Yokie, I went the Eagle F1 DS-G3's, unreal in the wet. Look at www.tirerack.com for comparisons...

Cheers

Brett

Load rating is the amount of 'load' each tyre can handle at speed. It is usually in a number (ie 94) or a Kg rating (ie 620kg). It's on the placard in the glovebox or inside the drivers side door sill (where it shows you the tyre pressures...)

Even one or two numbers different is huge, I was told the difference between a 92 and a 94 is about 60kg's per tyre!!!!!

The DS-G3's are the brand new super tyre from Goodyear. They cost me $520 each, but if I had cash up front I could have got them for around $480 each (got them on 12months interest free)..

Yeah its a lot of money but I've got HKS 2530's in now so I needed the extra grip and performance for saftey....

Cheers

Brett

Munro,

Yeah the 540's are excellent for track work, but when you are talking 5,000 - 7,000km's from a set of tyres worth around the $400 each mark it gets pretty expensive!!!!! ha ha ha

Nissaner,

A few guys I know are using them, swear by them for grip, but they are REALLY noisy and wear really fast, they are semi slicks after all.... Would be wicked as a spare set for track days or drags...

Brett