SAU Community

H1 Bulbs (low Beam)

kx2fity

Been searching most of the afternoon for some kind of thread that highlights the differences between different bulbs and as yet to find one!

I have a series 1 R33 and one of my low beams has gone, but as we all know the light that the standard globes emit is pritty dismal! So my question is what globes from personal experience will produce the best light low/high beam etc?

What are my options? I have been searching google a bit aswell and prices vary incredibly for globes $2-$200, just a little confused and need someone to clarrify what exactly are my options and what will give me the best bang for my buck?

I'm not to keen on getting a HID kit at this point in time even though they are relatively cheap, there are other things higher up on the agenda!

Thanks,

Dan

Coventrys sell Phillips Visionplus headlights.. theyre supposed to throw out more light and a longer beam. I have Phillips Crystal Vision which don't emit any more light, but the light is white and very clear which I find better than yellow anyway. They're around $90 but if you come see me at the Osborne Park branch I'll do ya a deal :) just ask for shae

As you can see theyre very white and look super cool :D

post-24834-1164548925.jpg

Coventrys sell Phillips Visionplus headlights.. theyre supposed to throw out more light and a longer beam. I have Phillips Crystal Vision which don't emit any more light, but the light is white and very clear which I find better than yellow anyway. They're around $90 but if you come see me at the Osborne Park branch I'll do ya a deal :) just ask for shae

As you can see theyre very white and look super cool :D

post-24834-1164548925.jpg

Sounds good mate! So your at coventrys osborne park??

Yeh thats about as close as you get to HID hey, they do look super white though!

$90 is that just for low beams??

Would it be worth investing the $200 for a HID conversion kit if globes are gona cost me nearlly that???

Cheers

Edited by kx2fity

in comparison to hids. Yes. Nothing replaces hids. If you check around, look for (lm) lumence rating. hid's output about twice that of conventional halogen bulbs and takes less power. White light is not as bright as yellow light, and it's a proven fact, do a check on the lm figures and it'll show you that white lights need more power draw in comparison to yellow in order to make the whole road more visible to our eyes. Why do you think main street lights are yellow? Notice the difference between the streets with white lights and yellow. If you do buy hid's and you want bright and white, go with 4300, which is oem specification for european cars and stuff. If you want more white with a little tinge of blue, 6000k. Normal halogen yellow would be 3500k or 3000k.

Yeah I'm at Coventry's osborne park.

I'm not sure how it works with series 1's, as I have H4's in my series 2, so yeah you may have to buy two sets. I'll also add that these Crystal Vision bulbs are NOT street legal, but you're less likely to get done for them than HID's because they emit a similiar amount of light to yellow bulbs.

I'm aware that white bulbs draw more power, but I'd say that these bulbs are a 30% improvement on the yellow ones I had before.

I'm aware that white bulbs draw more power, but I'd say that these bulbs are a 30% improvement on the yellow ones I had before.

That's the problem, that's why there is something called manufactuer's specification. I've known 2 pple who's wiring burnt due to the bulb drawing too much current. If the manufactuer states 55w They'd tradationally factor in only a 20~50% tolerance on top of that. So anything more, possibly would cause a burnt the wire and maybe an electrical fire.

I'd say go with the hid, the only difference btw hid and the phillips bulb is $110, and it being much brighter. But if you go with the 3500k, it looks like normal colour halogens, and much brighter, if you wanna stay on the safe side. Or the 4300K too. I'm using the 6000k, and have gone through a few roadblocks, and a few cop cars, no one has given me a yellow for the lights. I'm thinking the cops don't care cause it's probably better to have xenons so that it's easier for the driver to see.