SAU Community

A Little Advice

alright, now at the risk of looking like a total noob, i'm gonna ask a couple of questions, now i've just read through the p plate (vic) and r33 gts-t thing not being legal, this presents me with a few questions, and i'd be greatly appreciative if you guys could answer them..

firstly, are there any p plate vic r33 gts-t's here, if so, how often do you guys get pulled over by the police if your going the speed limit and generally not being a nuisance? and will the insurance ever pay out?(as i said i did read the other thread but couldnt make sense of the insurance mumbo jumbo) coz if i'm gonna get pulled over ever 3 seconds and if i do crash have have no insurance there is really no point, but if there is a way to work around this, i'd be greatly appreciative to know:D

secondly, if there is no way around the previous issue what do you guys recommend, i would happily go for an r32 but i'm only 18 and being forced into having a car with an air bag, which is why the 33 was so appealing...is a non turbo 33 just a slug? and a waste of money? or is there any way to install an air bag on a 32? or a way i could increase the safety so my parents would allow me to drive it..

finally, if neither of these options are possible, and the non turbo 33 is not worthwhile, within a 13k price range, what would you guys recomend that has an air bag and a bit of go....the only car i can really think of is a v8 soarer and i don't even know how well they go...

sorry if this has come up before but i couldn't find anything else on the forum and also sorry about having such a long essay of a post, look forward to hearing from you guys,

take it easy

Dave

I wouldnt get a turbo car on Ps.

is that just because of insurance? i was lookin at some s14's which arent too bad, and within the legal limit...this might be a stupid question, but i just saw an r33 airbag steering wheel for sale, can that be installed on a r32 and have an operational airbag? anyone got any idea's for what to buy?

is that just because of insurance? i was lookin at some s14's which arent too bad, and within the legal limit...this might be a stupid question, but i just saw an r33 airbag steering wheel for sale, can that be installed on a r32 and have an operational airbag? anyone got any idea's for what to buy?

not easily

what kind of pricing are we looking at? anyone else got any idea's about either a different car, or a way around the problem, i had my heart set on a 33, series 2 m spec, how often am i gonna get pulled over just driving the speed limit and what not? anyone? :)

what do you want to do with the car, or do you just want a powerful FR car, dont count out FF car's dude. Of course no rear wheel burnouts, but nothing handbrake cant fix :)

hrmm what you say is true, but idealy, i'd like to be able to learn how to drift in my own car, and that's really not feasible in any FF car..but thanks for your input :laugh: do you happen to know anything about transplanting airbag's into older cars? or have you any other suggestions regarding any other jap car's that i might have not considered...would a 2.5l twin turbo soarer eat petrol/ and get me mauled on insurance?

Assuming you've considered if you can live with a type R integra or civic type r, clio club sport or other such car and decided no, then you have to consider if you're willing to do a non-turbo car.

There's a certain feel a FR layout car gives.. Part of that is, in my opinion, the handling, and such my preference is towards rewarding cars in the handling department. So I'd be looking at s13, ae85/86 or something similar that responds well to chassis tuning.

Good luck.

i would have loved an s13, but there is so few that have a drivers air bag, which is the only reason i've looked past the r32, but i agree, the FR cars are in my opinion the way to go, is a civic type r within the victorian p plate limits??

My bro is also in this sort of thing, being only in his P's, he considered a Pulsar Gti-R, but Power-to-weight ratio is to low. His still looking, might suggest a supra SZ. For FF, i'd go for integra or civic or maybe FTO, what bout MX-5, thier alright cause RWD thing. Consider other cars, dont always rely on skylines or silvias being the only answer, opt for other imports.

yer i'm looking at supra's at the moment, they are however, quite costly, but they are looking like one of the few options, s14's are right on the limit, 125kw but in my price range look fairly ordinary unfortunately...is there anyway to increase the safety of a non air bag car for the sake of my folks? harnesses? or something? that would open up a whole nother world for me in terms of what i could get...

Hi mate,

I would probably say that because of your lack of driving experience, it would be a better idea to get a non turbo car as you did suggest...

I mean no dis-respect here but you probably don't have a lot of experience and if you're at an age where your parents still have an input on what you get (ie, must have airbag, etc) then i think you had better go down the safer track for now and get a NA car. You can always get a turbo car as a next car.

i know I sound like an old fuddy duddy (well I am 28) but I have been there and done that and you are talking about wanting to learn how to drift etc when you should be getting some road experience with you first. I mean, you'd have to drive and get used to a turbo car before you even start learning how to drift...... I get out there and drift sometimes and it is heaps of fun but you need to know your car.

Have you driven a turbo car before? You could quite easily kill yourself, I'm sure the guys on here will back me up when I say that you should never underestimate the power of a turbo when coming on boost...

Mate, I love the R33 turbos as I also have one and I know what your going through because i went through exactly the same thing...

My advise, get something that looks good and still goes alright, keep your insurance costs down by getting a non turbo car and save your pennies for a year or two down the track when you have the experience and money to get yourself something nice like an R34 turbs.... or whatever you like...

Up to you at the end of the day but there's my 2 cents worth...

Goodluck with your decision!! :-)

also i havent heard much about r33 non turbo's, are they a complete waste of time/money if i want anything with a bit of go to it?

nah mate i can completely understand where you're coming from, yer i have driven a turbo'd car a few times before and i can understand what you're saying,

do you think an r33 gt is a waste, because they do still look awesome, but i can get some experience before driving a 190 kw animal?

what kind of times and how slow are the non turbo'd 33's? i'm considering this or a supra, but i prefer the look of the 33, and also they are more in my price range, but they just lack power compared to an NA supra, i know i don't need break neck acceleration, but i do enjoy my car's and don't want to be driving a slug...

any other advise/wisdom/opinions or facts about naturally aspirated car's 33's would be much appreciated!

Cool, i'm glad you understood what I was trying to say... :-)

Um.... to be honest, I don't know much about the NA R33's but if you like the car then go for it! I'm sure the RB25DE will still go alright and I'd personnaly get the manual....

Honestly, you don't really wanna get a turbs right now, I know you'd love one because we all do but it depends on how confident you are... they are fun to drive but like we have already said, keep in mind, you insurance!

You will pay through the nose for insurance at your age and to be honest, I can only think of 2 places that MIGHT insure you... Shannons and Just cars... Even then, they might not... I may be wrong so if anybody else knows anyone else then speak now... You could be paying thousands per year for insurance mate... It gets very expensive and your excess if you have an accident, would probably be over $1000!!

i'm not trying to scare you away from turbos mate, I actually recommend getting one eventually but just keep what I have said in mind..

I hope I have been of some help.. it sucks being young sometimes but we all go through it unfortunately...

Has that helped at all?

nah mate i can completely understand where you're coming from, yer i have driven a turbo'd car a few times before and i can understand what you're saying,

do you think an r33 gt is a waste, because they do still look awesome, but i can get some experience before driving a 190 kw animal?

what kind of times and how slow are the non turbo'd 33's? i'm considering this or a supra, but i prefer the look of the 33, and also they are more in my price range, but they just lack power compared to an NA supra, i know i don't need break neck acceleration, but i do enjoy my car's and don't want to be driving a slug...

any other advise/wisdom/opinions or facts about naturally aspirated car's 33's would be much appreciated!

yer mate it definately has, thanks heaps for your more mature perspective on it, i think i might move on a r33 NA and see how it goes, and learn how to drive, and insurance would own me on a NA car so therefore i can build up my own rating as opposed to having it under my parents name and then when i turn 21 get a real monster,

anyone that has any other idea's regarding car's i'm very open to suggestion though, or anyone that has any information on NA 33's would be very much appreciated!

and i can't wait till i'm 21 when ill buy a monster of a 34 gtr or something ridiculous:)

just go out and test drive an r33 gts, and see what you htink for yourself, that will be the best way. I test drove one once, wasn't terriblly quick to be honest, but you should try one for yourself. As far as turbo's etc and p's a lot of people seem to frown upon it, but in reality there are heaps of p plate drivers with turbo's. I was one of them for about 6 months when i bought my 33, just got third party insurance which is what i still have now, cos even though i am off my p's the difference in pricing for insurance with that sort of vehicle is very negligable.

Basically if your under 25 it don't seem to make much difference with insurance. with all of that said however, i still drove a 2.2lt manual celica na on my p's for about 2 and a half years till i got my line which was a good car to learn about driving in, and beleive it or not i still managed to crash that car with only its 100kw. albiet it was heavily raining and at a roundabout - aquaplane.... but still some rwd 200kw 33 could have made a much worse accident. just test drive some cars. A vtec would be a reasonable compromise.