SAU Community

Turn, Clunk Clunk Clunk

hey i'm getting this problem somewhere either in the breaks or the steering rack or thereabouts. it only seems to happen after longer periods of driving, like maybe half an hour or so and in the heat. i'll turn and hear this kinda noise that's like a dull clunking. it seems to be made worse when the breaks are under load, but it does it regardless anyway. any clues? i'm sorry my description is fairly, well, non descript but if anyone has any ideas that'd be handy. thanks guys.

If its on mild to hard lock and sounds like a clicking/clunking it could be your front cv joints as elk said. Try doing full lock circles while riding the brake in 1st gear. Go resonably slow but not slow enough to stall the engine and load it up using the brakes. Also try adjusting the amount of lock while your doing circles. If you hear the noise while doing this its most likely cv's

I got the same problem with my car at the moment , i think it is a CV joint , it doesn`t do it all the time , most of the time it when i turn on un even ground ie turn up a drive way , i got next week off work so i will have a look and let u know what i find.

my mate had a bit of a look and said there was virtually nothing left on the bushes on the little link arms that come off the front sway. assuming it's either that or the cv joints, do i need to worry about driving it much?