SAU Community

Skylines in England

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nissan only ever "officially" exported the GTR into England, and numbers were limited to 100 cars. These cars recieved special upgrades (leather interior, diff and oil coolers and a few other bits a pieces I believe....)

Even so, there are many, many Skylines (all varients) in England. Most are self imports, but there are plenty of company's offering import services. Getting SVA and MOT certificates for imported cars isn't very difficult (only a few changes to the car are necessary - rear fog lamp, speedo and so on...)

The 2 main forums are:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/

and

http://www.skylineowners.com/forums/

Cheers

Dave (British, but living in Japan!)

"How do they afford it over there?"

Just because they pay 80p doesnt mean that they are forking out the equivalent of $1.90 aust per litre.

80p to them is 80p ... it woulnt matter unless you were buying their petrol in Aussie dollars, that is, international trade. The fact that it is equal to $1.90 is simply the exchange rate calculation. If the average person in england earned 25,000 punds a year .. and here the average person earned 25,000 dollars .. then its the same.

yeah the autobahn would be fat!

InExtremis: But the equiv. to £25,000 would be $63,500.13 according to commbank.

The reality is, the average wage here is about £20,000 and in Aus I'd say it's about $35,000.

Per month: (obviously all this is without tax but it will still demonstrate my point)

£1,666.67 & $2916.67

Working on a 50 litre tank:

UK at 80p per litre = £40

Aust. at $1.10 per litre = $55

Say you go through 5 tanks per month the costs would be:

UK £200

AUS $275

Now this equates to the following % of monthly income:

UK 12%

AUS 9.5%

(rounded to the nearest 1/2 per cent)

Case proven!

But why are you working out the equivalent?!?!?!?

Thats what im saying, its meaningless unless your buying the fuel in England with Australian dollars!!

If the income is earnt in the same country you buy the fuel, then exchange rates are useless, thats what MY point was.

I understand your point when comparing fuel prices to average income earned, but why the hell are you concerned with the equivalent??

"Case Proven!"

You can never prove anything with hypothetical and estimated information, your figures (estimates) are just averages that are not anywhere near 100% accurate. 'Prove' is a dangerous word to use.

And another point, how many residents in England that own GTR's do you think are on 'average' wage?

Another thing ... $1.10 in Australia is now expensive with the war over, that figure was the maximum average, it is quite a bit lower (Although not enough for the ending of the war) which would whack your calculations way out.

I lived and Worked in London for a year.

The cost of living except rent is cheaper than here in Perth. Like I mean I was eating like a king for 20 quid a week.. say AU$60. Trying buying ALL your groceries and cleaning products etc etc for that here...... And that was buying everything at Sainsburys, Tesco or alike not ASDA...

Feul is 88p a litre which if ya earning pounds is the same as 88c here.

Insurance on the other hand is outrageous over there.. thats if you can get it in the first place.

BTW there are only 8 Million car parking bays in London including Private ones. There are about 11 million cars in London. So they figure that at any time of day or night there are 3 milloin cars on the road !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Yes i think we can safely say that owning a skyline over here could be an expensive luxury.I only have a 33 GTS-T-M Spec 11,but still find myself having to watch the pennies a bit.

The GTROC forum is now for all skylines,enthusiasts aswell,and we have now launched our paid up members area of the forum aswell.At the moment we have about 110 forum users,of the roughly 2000 users that are fully paid up members.(this membership entitles us to receive certain club benefits like insurance,tyres,window tinting etc etc etc.)The officials of the club are doing their damndest to get as many deals as they can,to keep running costs to a min,and a fine job they are doing aswell.

As for petrol prices,then i agree with the above,in that no matter what country youre in,80p is 80cents is 80centimes.You get my drift.There are many dealers in the UK,selling GTR's(some more reputable than others,but we all use the known,well documentated dealers,even if they are a bit pricey sometimes.Many of the forum users work at some of these places and they would gaurantee any GTR,GTS etc that they are selling.Their reputation wouldnt allow anything else!

We even have guys on the forum that travel between UK and JP,so the odd batch order of parts quite often crops up.

Anyway,nice to be amongst so many avid fellow owners and enthusiasts.

regards...........Paul.

Hey blitzen...last summer i was in England and fell in love with the lifestyle (Drinking till the sun goes down @10pm).

So much so that this summer im about a 50% chance of returning, if not ill have to wait until Feb 04 when i move to the UK for work.

The point to this, well for 1400 pound i was going to hire a TVR Cerbera (Dream car) and hoon for a day (every minute of he 24hrs) but couldnt stretch for the 2000 pound bond.

Also the fact that i was living in Clapham Junction and had no idea where to go for a nice little spirited rap or even the location of all the tracks i see on Top Gear, BTTC coverage.

So if located in London, where is the closest motorsport facility??? In Syd the public can get their fix on tracks like Eastern Creek Raceway (the old 500cc Oz GP circuit) etc for reasonable coin.

What sort of coin do these days cost and how often are facilities open to public??? Does the Skyline club you speak of organise such days???

Sorry about all the questions but first hand knowledge would be good, i was so disapointed last year when i rocked up to find that not one single friend had even bought a car... so they have no clue.

If i cant sell my Skyline to loving Oz owner then im looking into bringing it with me... but would rather pick up a TVR or Cosworth.

Originally posted by Roy

Hey blitzen...last summer i was in England and fell in love with the lifestyle (Drinking till the sun goes down @10pm).  

Hello Roy,

Did you go to bed early every day then,cause normally were drinking till the sun comes back up again.Thats what God made Days for,to sleep off the night before!!! lol!

As for track day fun,well,the GTROC UK are constantly organising track day events around the country.In fact we are having one next week at Brands Hatch(old Formula 1 circuit until about 1987)when Silverstone took over to present day.The club has booked the circuit for the whole day!Skylines only.

Its only a half hour drive from London,but it is a bit expensive(approx- $650 Au ),but great fun.

There are qiute a few circuits within a reasonable distance from London,where you could take a car for a session.Sometimes old dis-used air fields are used by car clubs,we also have Santa Pod drag racing strip just the other side of London,if you fancy trying your luck out at the Standing 1/4 mile etc.not a bad price at all for the day,as long as you can afford the fuel and the rubber for a day.There are plenty of drift clubs around aswell and i'm sure they would welcome you along anytime to join them in a bit of rear end lunacy.Most of the guys are on the GTROC forum anyway.

Best thing you can do,when you come back over here is to register at http://www.gtr.co.uk/html/club/index.asp and say hello to the guys.We will more than happy to meet up with you and take you out for the day/s.Plenty of 32's,33's and 34's,club meets and days out to join in.My user name on the forum is Paul Creed.give us a shout when you come over!

regards...........Paul

Hi CanberraR33,

I,m sure if you look up Fuggles or Shin in the members list on the GTROC UK, you can send them a message and they would probably be more than happy to meet up with you for the day.They both live in London,and are great guys.

If your up for it, on the 15th May at Brands Hatch(as mentioned above),its skyline day.All meeting at the circuit at about 8.30-9.00 am,racing all day.Quite a few guys going.I'll be there but only spectating tho,that day.May able to blag a ride tho.

Come down,its only half hour away!Good day out!

Regrds........Paul.

(Drinking till the sun goes down @10pm).

Yeh im weak as piss, im told i tried more often then not to drink til dawn, but i never remember. No stamina!

Thanks for the advice, and once i find my feet and a car ill be sure to start hitting the circuits.

You couldnt get any bloody closer!

I live in Walderslade(about 5 miles down the road),and i work in Strood(about 2 miles away).

I will be starting Nightshift tonight,but if i give you my phone number,you can give me a ring when you get down to your uncles,and we'll meet up.!

sounds great! Yeah my Uncle lives in Hoo if ya know where that is?

I've sent u a PM with my mobile number. I've gotta log off the net, but send me a text message so I have your number and I'll give you a call when I get down there!

Cheers,

James.