SAU Community

After Markey Pulleys

Mushroom

Guys I have a rb25 and curretnly rebuilding it and want to know is there are any after market pulleys? I have seen a ballancer for $550 and was wanting to know if they give much advantage for a street car or not?

The Ross balancer is 2 or 3 kg lighter than stock unit. The reduced inertia on top of a better balancer for high po applications is better than a poke in the eye. By going billet alloy for the alternator , water pump and power steering pulleys you drop a kg or so there too, and it looks 'bling'. Trust/greddy do a kit alternatively for the same money I'm sure you could get a local machine shop to make a set based on a stock set.

hmm so no real benifet for a street driven car then

thanks fo rthe reply I can move on to looking at the next part of the engine :laugh:

Didn't say that.

The benifits are quite worthwhile since they directly effect the accelleration of the car. Every little bit helps and with the balancer you get reliabilltiy and bling to boot.

Have a look at the budget and see what they cost. The balancer will net a decent gain, the smaller pulleys less so. While your at it lose the belt driven fan and go electric.

Let me revise this,

You would use a lighter balancer to compliment ur new crank/conrod setup where the weights and balance will be different, which you wouldve Built for High rev power i.e drag, Otherwise You dont need a lighter balancer.

For ur streeter, leave it stock. if u want looks, maybe paint it :laugh:, the other wheels for alt etc. if u can save some weight on those, go for it.

Edited by silverbulletR33

you don't 'need' a lightweight balancer. It will however give you faster accelleration, 2.1kg or so is nothing to sneeze at for a reduction in rotational mass off the front of the crank.

You get performance and accelleration without a fuel or wear penalty. These sorts of mods do eventually pay for themselves by comparison to the blunt approach to power only for the same accelleration gain.

No big deal if you don't do it, pretty much most people ever give it any thought.

• 5 weeks later...