SAU Community

Speedo Dead

RaZ_TuRbO

hey guys,

After doing a few hoops i looked down to see that my speedo had died, so i contiuned to check if the cable was broken, the thing is i dont know because the inside of the cable is spinning but the little plastic thing was not attched to the cable, it was in the back of the speedo?

Does this mean its broken as im sure the little plastic needle comes attched with the cable.

any experiences?

Cheers

Yep very common. Plastic bit breaks off..

I beleive some places can fix them, after buying several new ones over the years I found out that it was possible :)

They are easy to remove, check around. A place that makes brake lines and cables here in NZ fixes them so try a similar place there.

GTS-T cables are normally not too expensive to buy, but there is no guarantee that it won't break again if it's second hand.

Edited by GTR-Ben

So my understanding is the the little plastic bit is suppose to be inside the speedo cable it self not in the back of the dash? is that correct?

Sigsputnik: if your speedo works i highly doubt the plastic thing has fallen as it is the mechanism that drives the speedo.

Edited by RaZ_TuRbO

hang on, what does this plastic needle look like? when i remove my dash, all i see on the speedo cable is, well, the square end of the speedo cable...has my plastic needle fallen off?

(the reason i as is that my speedo makes a clicking noise as i drive)

sigsputnik, thats the sound of a dodgy cable. it hasnt broken yet but possibily will soon. for a 32gtr they are only 100 new from nissan. fairly cheap for a gtr part :)

u need to remove the cable from the box, where it comes through the firewall is a couple of bolts on a plate, then u have to remove your speedo cluster and it pops out.

A place here in Adelaide actually can put a new steel end on the cable which should never break.

are you talking about the gearbox end or the speedo end?

u need to remove the cable from the box, where it comes through the firewall is a couple of bolts on a plate, then u have to remove your speedo cluster and it pops out.

A place here in Adelaide actually can put a new steel end on the cable which should never break.

They are talking about the Speedo end. There is a plastic part with a square end that turns the speedo. This has a spring etc and is attached to the cable. Replacing it with a metal end would be a good idea.. should be stronger from factory.

Maybe this will wear your plastic speedo though, who knows..

ah, good - so follow the cable from the speedo down? hmmm looks like i'll be in the cabin with a torch tomorrow :P

hope ur got plenty of time and patience. ull hafta remove the dash. the cable goes into the side of the gbox. good luck

• 2 weeks later...

guys i got the same prob. and its the second time.....first time it was the plastic piece that had split so it would lock on....i glued it together...put back it and it worked...now its F@#Kd again. So im assuming it the plastic piece again....

should i just buy this piece from nissan? wats it worth?

cheers boys

just went and bought a new speedo cable for 32 gtst. is it hard to replace? do i need to remove more than just the cluster to get it out? coz i looked down with a torch. i cant seem to see that plate. also where does it come out? down behind the clutch pedal? coz i saw a cable go out there sumwhere.

also where does it come out? down behind the clutch pedal? coz i saw a cable go out there sumwhere.

I am pretty sure it attaches to the gearbox, but I have no idea how or where, sorry - this is something i need to find out also. the manual doesn't seem to say, which is odd. how much did the cable cost?

• 4 weeks later...

where in adelaide did you get this steel end??

mine breaks every time I go drifting,The rapid speed changes just breaks the glue loose.

I pull the speedo cluster out, put some araldite in the plastic thing where the spring lives, then some araldite on the square peg that goes into the speedo. Put the plastic thing into the housing, push it in so it's tight with a small screwdriver, then slide the speedo cluster back on.

Some people have had success with using heat shrink to close up the plastic....I didn;t have success. This way works, just has to get done every time I leave the track! haha

Takes me about 30 minutes to do now. I'll take photos next time if I remember,