SAU Community

Front Mount Intercooler Into R30

the big JC

There is something that most are overlooking and that is AIR FLOW!

Don't all jump on me for this but it's something I'm researching at the moment.

As air is cooled it needs a larger space to be able to flow at the same speed/rate. It comes out of the compressor in a relatively small diameter (VG30 is 44mm) into say (common) 50/60mm piping to the intercooler, as it is cooled the air expands and therefore needs a larger diameter on the outlet to keep the same air speed.

Has anyone taken this into account when plumbing their intercooler???

It would be my conclusion (researching) that about 50 in and 60 out of the cooler would be a good combination, particularly when using a 60mm throttle body, but I see so many intercoolers with about 75mm inlet & outlets.

Cheers, D

i was told the best thing to do is match the piping to the outlet of the turbo and the throttle body, i have reducers on the inlet and out let of the intercooler.... 2 1/2" mostly for the rb engines..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see the compressor outlet on any RB being bigger than 44mm ID and as you say, you have reducers on both sides. On the inlet side of the coller it wouldn't be so critical, but on the outlet >>>> to the throttle body, if you have reduced the diameter it will increase the air speed (venturi effect) but reduce the volume of air flowing into the throttle body which would be a major concern for me and I guess loss of potential HP.

D