SAU Community

Best Car To Import From Japan Under Personal Import Scheme

bobo

I'm surprised no one has mentioned early model RX-7s (FD3S) from 92 to around 97. Anything after that would be too near the series 8 (from 99) which can be imported under RAWS. I would also recommend a EVO 3 over a 4 or later. The 3 is quicker and should be a better collectors car. I've looked at a few but have noticed they are hard to find in good shape. Also watch for rust in the roof!

Keep the ideas rolling as I'll also be in the market for something new. I've sent back a few cars in my years in jp. My first being a mx-5, followed by a WRX (no money in that one but I deperately wanted one!), an Integra VTEC ('89 model so it went under the 15yr rule) then 2 rx-7s and a '97 GT-B legacy. I tried making big buying a late model Lexus ES300 with cream leather etc (VIP sytle) but was lucky to get my money back on it. The rx-7s gave me the best returns but they weren't the friendliest car to live with everyday which is why I've been driving the super reliable Legacys. An NSX did cross my radar but like some of you said, the market is small and would be hard to turn a profit. You don't need to spend big bucks. Another car to consider is a CELICA GT4 ('94 - st205). I nearly bought one a few weeks back but felt I'd be better buying one with lower kms than the 140,000kms that one had. Also it wasn't as quick as I had expected!

BTW I think the MX-5 coupe looks shite! Then again I never liked pictures of the original mx-5 till I saw one on the road.

My suggestions for a budget of around 500,000 (5 grand OZ there abouts)

'92-'94 rx7 (watch the kms - engines are very fragile)

'94-'95 Celica GT4 (don't know much about them - heard they have some suspension issues but otherwise OK)

'94-'95 EVO II or III (aren't as pretty as the IV or newer but are a lot more lively!)

for around 1,000,000 (10 grand)

'90-'93 sl500 benz (you'll only get a high kms one for this money I'd guess)

I'll be sending back a '99 Legacy B4 RSK manual shortly if anyone's interested! I've noticed the market slip a little for them :-(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My brother brought in an SC430 soarer (Lexus)- nice car. If it was me, I'd buy a Honda NSX.

Hi,

My dad is an Aus citizen living in Japan so he is eleigible to import 1 car per year to Australia via the Personal Import Scheme. I would appreciate some advice:

Which car/makes models do you recommend we look at importing? What will sell well in Australia? I am not necessarily after the most expensive car possible - something that will turn a tidy profit will be nice.

Thanks for any comments